Seravalli: Tatar to the Leafs?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Who are these key guys? And I don't know how you count, but Price will be 3 months older than he was when he took Montreal to the SC final.
Yeah and lots of “unless” in this thread. The point is that Suzuki, Caufield, kotkaniemi and romanov will all improve. That’s the point of having young talented players. And yes, habs wing depth is better than Toronto’s. Ok back to tuna!

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Who are these key guys? And I don't know how you count, but Price will be 3 months older than he was when he took Montreal to the SC final.

That's not much rest for a goaltender in his mid 30's who has been average to below average in the regular Season for four years and counting now.

Shea Weber and Phillip Danault were large reasons why Montreal made their playoff run, neither will be in a Montreal uniform next Season.

I don't know about you, but I would consider both key losses. :huh:

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
That's not much rest for a goaltender in his mid 30's who has been average to below average in the regular Season for four years and counting now.

Shea Weber and Phillip Danault were large reasons why Montreal made their playoff run, neither will be in a Montreal uniform next Season.

Weber was a key guy, but he also missed a lot of time the past four seasons.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Losing Bozak wasn't a big loss at all. Martin? No big deal. Komarov was played correctly here, wouldn't have minded keeping him.

Brown was never good enough for the top line here, let alone the 2nd, he's being gifted minutes in Ottawa.

This is what i mean though, no big loss, no big deal.. at least in my opinion all these no big deals add up, we watch these guys go on to become important pieces to other more successful teams.

i mean, what is the better center depth:

matthews / kadri / bozak
or
matthews / tavares / kerfoot

Reactions: Henkka

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lock it up, they decided to sign a bunch of fourth liners instead.
i heard thats in vogue these days. I wonder why Tatar is hated by coaches. Got scratched for pretty much all of Vegas' run to the finals, then it happened again with Montreal when he's been their best scorer for a few years now.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I don't think so. I think Montreal likely misses the playoffs unless there's an explosion from Caufield and Suzuki. They lost some key guys and Price is now a year older.
Yes, but there is no lightning in a bottle in Leaf land either.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Absolutely love Tuna but look at his playoff numbers across his Career. There's a reason 2 teams in a row scratched him in the playoffs.
Yeah, bias. Tatar is no different during the regular season than he is in the playoffs. The leafs will be getting a good player if they can squeeze him in. I thought his treatment during the Habs run was completely unjustified. A team struggling to score sits one of their highest scoring players. A risk adverse team like Montreal will at best be playing for second place.

sitting Tatar, but playing Staal, now there’s a brain trust I don’t want running my team.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's kind of ridiculous to expect Tatar to continue struggling in the playoffs, as obvious as the jokes are.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
It's kind of ridiculous to expect Tatar to continue struggling in the playoffs, as obvious as the jokes are.

Why? He's not a playoff type player , there are many like him. Doesn't mean someone won't sign him for decent money.

Reactions: soothsayer

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Singular vs plural usage
upload_2021-8-1_14-58-16.png

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
This is what i mean though, no big loss, no big deal.. at least in my opinion all these no big deals add up, we watch these guys go on to become important pieces to other more successful teams.

i mean, what is the better center depth:

matthews / kadri / bozak
or
matthews / tavares / kerfoot
Bozak isn't good anymore man. Secondly, you want these pieces traded before the playoffs?

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah and lots of “unless” in this thread. The point is that Suzuki, Caufield, kotkaniemi and romanov will all improve. That’s the point of having young talented players. And yes, habs wing depth is better than Toronto’s. Ok back to tuna!

Habs players plateau at 21. It's all down hill afterwards

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
It’s fun that people think age and progression is a direct correlation.

It's not and most people don't think that but when Habs have quite a few young players that have really solid start to their NHL careers it's completely normal for the fans to remain hopeful.

The reality is Habs have lots of solid young players coming into their own to become the new core with some solid supporting vets. The Habs aren't contenders but are really not in the bad state some tend to think.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Playoff Weber would be a key loss, but he completely stunk up the joint in the regular season.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's bad, but not that bad. And it's not necessarily for lack of effort. His stats are a bit misleading.

I don't think they are , he shy's away from contact , doesn't enter the offensive zone effectively when the game is tight and doesn't generate offense like he does in the regular season. Unlike a kid like Suzuki who was born to elevate his game, he dominated the memorial cup and played like an NHL playoff performer even at a young age.

Going back to Tatar , he's been scratched by 2 different clubs in the playoffs , perhaps he's being typecast based on performance but judging on what I've personally seen of him he just doesn't bring "it" when the going gets tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad