Confirmed with Link: Tatar Re-Signs (4 years, $5.3 million)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wow, 4 years? That is great term. Much prefer the 4 year term and the higher AAV than the 6-7 years and the lower AAV.

Now trade Sheahan.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Not the worst contract, especially the term where it seems like we got best of both worlds. Glad he wanted to stay on for awhile. Bit rich, but I guess that's market value these days.

Would love to see him take the next step and pot 35 this year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So...who is getting traded?

Even with Franzen's cap hit being removed, we would still be over after signing AA

Sproul and Franzen on IR gives them 1.5 million in capspace.

If further space is needed, Witkowski can be waived for another 750K of cap space.

They will be fine.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sproul and Franzen on IR gives them 1.5 million in capspace.

If further space is needed, Witkowski can be waived for another 750K of cap space.

They will be fine.

Holland said that Sproul is heatlhy for the season start. Some guys are not ready for the camp, but everybody (except Franzen) are ready for the season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not the worst contract, especially the term where it seems like we got best of both worlds. Glad he wanted to stay on for awhile. Bit rich, but I guess that's market value these days.

Would love to see him take the next step and pot 35 this year.

Franzen caphit was 7.0% at the summer of 2009 (of 56.8M cap).

Tatar caphit is 7.0% of 2017 cap (75.0M).

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Wow I didn't think this was coming.

I really like the term, AAV seems fair. And unless he handed out a NTC for the whole thing, it seems like this contract is very movable if need be.

Credit to Holland on this one. Now it's up to you Tatar tots.

EDIT: Just saw this regarding NTC.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016

I really like the term, AAV seems fair. And unless he handed out a NTC for the whole thing, it seems like this contract is very movable if need be.

Apparently, he got an NTC, That's NTC # 10 on the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This contract is built to be moved at 2021 deadline. Only 3.2M salary on that last season after the signing bonus deadline and still that 5.3M caphit.

Same kind of structure as at Daley contract.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Nice. Tatar's a blast to watch. Happy about this.

Nice. Still believe Tats can score 30G consistently.

Would definitely be a 30 goal scorer, in my opinion, if this team had centre depth and a blue line that could move the puck.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This contract is built to be moved at 2021 deadline. Only 3.2M salary on that last season after the signing bonus deadline and still that 5.3M caphit.

Same kind of structure as at Daley contract.

Agreed. If the Wings are sellers they should be able to move him to a team loading up for a Cup run before the coming lockout.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Nice. Tatar's a blast to watch. Happy about this.

Would definitely be a 30 goal scorer, in my opinion, if this team had centre depth and a blue line that could move the puck.

Tatar's PP goals have gone from 9 to 7 to 5 in recent years. His assists on there went from 10 to 8 to 3. He scored just find at even strength last season 20 goals. We need that PP goals to get back up and the assists. A decent PP, a healthier Tats, and that's potentially 30/25.

We need the PP to be in the top half.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Franzen caphit was 7.0% at the summer of 2009 (of 56.8M cap).

Tatar caphit is 7.0% of 2017 cap (75.0M).

I think with context, Tatar's contract is cheaper. Franzen's was a cap circumventing monster and that contract is *still* in effect. Tatar is done in 4 years. I'm sure if Franzen's deal was 4-7 years during his mid 20's he'd have gotten a much bigger contract.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think with context, Tatar's contract is cheaper. Franzen's was a cap circumventing monster and that contract is *still* in effect. Tatar is done in 4 years. I'm sure if Franzen's deal was 4-7 years during his mid 20's he'd have gotten a much bigger contract.

Yep.

If I minimize that Mule contract for nowadays maximum, from 11 to 8 years, that would be 39.5M per 8 years = 4.9375M caphit.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

I agree with that. The thing that mystified me at the time of the Franzen deal was how high the first 7 years were. It was essentially a 7 year 35 mil deal under a 57 mil cap that the team tacked on circumvention years to bring down.

The worst 3 deals Holland has signed are, IMO, 1) Helm, 2) Franzen, 3) Howard. I haven't thought of or heard a rationale for them that makes sense.

The Tatar deal seems fine. It protects his value as an asset while not over-emphasizing his role on the team. The NTC seems conditional enough to not present many difficulties if the org decides to move him in a few years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree with that. The thing that mystified me at the time of the Franzen deal was how high the first 7 years were. It was essentially a 7 year 35 mil deal under a 57 mil cap that the team tacked on circumvention years to bring down.

The worst 3 deals Holland has signed are, IMO, 1) Helm, 2) Franzen, 3) Howard. I haven't thought of or heard a rationale for them that makes sense.

The Tatar deal seems fine. It protects his value as an asset while not over-emphasizing his role on the team. The NTC seems conditional enough to not present many difficulties if the org decides to move him in a few years.
Franzen's deal absolutely made sense. It's only bad because the league retro-actively punished legal contracts, which was complete BS. At the time we didn't know his career would be cut so short either.

Maybe you forget what a monster Mule was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad