Confirmed with Link: Tanner Pearson and 3rd (2025) Traded to Montreal for Casey DeSmith

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The assets acquired are not valuable at all, that is my point, you seem to think they are more valuable, why?

Nobody would give away a valuable asset for hoffman or pitlick,

I am saying the team would be exactly the same if we kept hoffman and pitlick, as opposed to having the return we got,

People are getting all excited over the return, when the return will not help anything, we dumped these guys for basically nothing,

Within this franchise, when is the last time a 3rd round draft pick turned into anything of significance??
You have a good point about the draft...........later rounds is a crap shoot, but we have found guys like Markov and Gally in the later rounds..............oher teams have made a killing in the later rounds, like TB.

The future is bright enjoy the next couple of years, it will be fun watching the kids do well......

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The assets acquired are not valuable at all, that is my point, you seem to think they are more valuable, why?

Nobody would give away a valuable asset for hoffman or pitlick,

I am saying the team would be exactly the same if we kept hoffman and pitlick, as opposed to having the return we got,

People are getting all excited over the return, when the return will not help anything, we dumped these guys for basically nothing,

Within this franchise, when is the last time a 3rd round draft pick turned into anything of significance??
I think you are viewing the trades in too narrow of a scope. You have to think of these trades in terms of likelihood of producing future success/acquiring additional assets.

Hoffman and Pitlick on the team have 0 chance to move the needle. They are the definition of deadweight.

All the picks acquired in the series of moves associated with both players have more of chance of moving the needle (even if low) and can do so in two ways:

1. Picking a player at the position that forms into an nhler. The likelihood decreases deeper into the draft, but these are still superior assets to hoffman and pitlick which people either wanted 1. benched 2. waived 3. bought out.

2. The picks acquired can be packaged along with other assets to fill a need. Like when the habs acquired Petry or Dach. These picks have better value in a package than Hoffman or Pitlick.

3. Those picks can even produces drafted players that can become assets in trades like when the habs moved Collberg for Vanek.

Scenarios 1-3 are superior in everyway than keeping both players, waiving them, buying them out, benching them.

In all scenarios, having the picks are superior assets than retaining Hoffman and Pitlick even if the likelihood of impact is lower.

It's odd to have to explain such a fundamental basic principle, but you are just wrong.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
If Tanner Pearson makes the Habs and is useful, I'll be even more excited by this trade.

I do hope that the Habs keep Ylonen and give him a chance, but maybe they don't believe in him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Tanner Pearson makes the Habs and is useful, I'll be even more excited by this trade.

I do hope that the Habs keep Ylonen and give him a chance, but maybe they don't believe in him.
I doubt Ylonen sticks long-term. There is more potential in Roy, Heineman, Farrell and even Beck - maybe Mesar too. I could see Ylonen being a stopgap roster player for this year, but if Tanner outcompetes him, I'd try to trade Ylonen for a younger prospect or an already waived player.

Reactions: Andy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So the team should do nothing? Im not even sure what it is you are whining about.

Are you saying it was better to just keep hoffman and not acquire any additional, more valuable assets?
I think he's saying we should have traded Hoffman for McDavid.

If not that, does he have better suggestions of what we should have done with Hoffman's deadweight contract and roster spot.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
So to sum things up:

Hoffman
Pitlick

for

Nathan Légaré
2 yrs of approx. 2.3 M of Petry's salary
Tanner Pearson
Gustav Lindström
2025 2nd round pick
2025 3rd round pick
2025 4th round pick

Talking about making something out of nothing. Pearson is done and Lindström is a horrible D. So it's really those picks that might be worthwhile and Légaré. These are the kinds of moves BargainBin was making, but not enough. Apart from the Pittsburgh 2nd, there isn't much here, other than HuGo showing his creativity and negotiating skills.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I doubt Ylonen sticks long-term. There is more potential in Roy, Heineman, Farrell and even Beck - maybe Mesar too. I could see Ylonen being a stopgap roster player for this year, but if Tanner outcompetes him, I'd try to trade Ylonen for a younger prospect or an already waived player.
I'm not really that confident in long-term projections.

For this season, I'd like to see Ylonen play on the Habs and see what he can do. I think he'll play in the NHL this year, whether with the Habs or with whoever claims him on waivers.

But yes, I agree that the Habs might not care much about losing him for nothing, and that maybe they've already decided that he's not part of the future. I hope not, though.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
You have a good point about the draft...........later rounds is a crap shoot, but we have found guys like Markov and Gally in the later rounds..............oher teams have made a killing in the later rounds, like TB.

The future is bright enjoy the next couple of years, it will be fun watching the kids do well......

[mod]
There aren't that many teams that do really well consistently in non-top-20 picks, but the ones that do tend to do well. Boston, Tampa, Carolina... Most teams just randomly get one every few years.
It's not just the drafting, though. The combination of Lefebvre, Therrien, dev staff or lack thereof, and complete lack of off ice support probably did more damage than the actual picks. Not to say in any way that the picks were good.

Reactions: BLONG7

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think this is the no reasons to rush a guy back, and if it helps the cap situation off the get go then hey no big deal...........there is a surplus of bodies, that's for sure.
I still think Dvo could be dealt early in the season as soon as they get the green light on his injury.
Rush back? he was playing hockey.You don't play hockey if you're not ready to go. IDK anyways as it does give some a chance to show what they got.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think pearson either comes back strong or is just pure ass, No in between , makes our lives easier if either of those situations are the case anyways

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

It's not so much not believing in Ylonen, as him getting outclassed by younger prospects fast. It wouldn't be so much a problem if Gallagher and Armia didn't have boat anchor contracts and could be moved. Even Evans and Dvorak are starting to feel like players to be moved because they will be replaced by prospects in a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad