Tanks for the memories. Tank Thread 2015/16 (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Finishing 6th, you're most likely to draft 7th. 39% chance of that.

What's to stop us from being that team that jumps everyone and drafts top 3 if it's got such a likelihood of happening to us? I'm gonna remain positive, the Jets getting their first 3 game win streak and potentially a 4 game streak gets us rewarded by the hockey gods for not throwing in the towel and playing to Vancouver and Edmonton levels of suck.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I keep saying this and no one believes me (well not Peluso, I don't think they'll play him). If Little or Perrault were healthy does anyone honestly believe that one of Petan/Dano/Armia would have the spot on this roster over Thorburn even during this time when games are meaningless? AHL guys like Lipon and Petan didn't get a shot until there were catastrophic injures even during meaningless games

I believe it, it's been that way every single season. I'm pretty sure there's been someone always better on the farm club or in the press box that could be played over Thorburn, but he is immune to being scratched.

That being said though, I honestly don't mind Thorburn as a fourth liner exclusively.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I keep saying this and no one believes me (well not Peluso, I don't think they'll play him).

I believe that you've said it. Does that count?

Until it happens, it hasn't happened. Is there a likelihood of it happening? Yep. Is there a strong likelihood? Based on the past, yes. Is it 100%? Not yet.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No kidding, ps. They get on the ice and they are a threat to score every shift.

It's scary and beautiful at the same time.

In all honesty IMO we find a LHD in the draft that can quickly jump into the top 4 we can become a very good team quickly. Always assuming we finally get a real goalie.

I have been a bit of an angry tanker as of late but I am at peace tonight. So we stumble from 4th or 5th spot at best to 6th pre lotto balls. I can't ask the boys to roll over and we have some serious talent and depth emerging that caused this. I will just suck it up and let it play out now.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Chevy's ass needs to be fired if this team is sitting below the playoff line in No Man's Land again next December.

So ####ing sick of this team and the same old #### every year.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I believe it, it's been that way every single season. I'm pretty sure there's been someone always better on the farm club or in the press box that could be played over Thorburn, but he is immune to being scratched.

That being said though, I honestly don't mind Thorburn as a fourth liner exclusively.

I don't have a problem with him as a 4th liner, either. The problem is he always gets booted up the lineup whenever there's an injury. 2nd line Thorburn? Are you ****ing kidding me, Paul? At least there's less incentive for him to do it now with Dano and Armia playing regular minutes - oh, wait.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Chevy's ass needs to be fired if this team is sitting below the playoff line in No Man's Land again next December.

I'd be thankful you even have a team, lol. Just sayin'. You guys will be fine. You have great prospects at nearly every position. Connor and Morrissey are studs.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Of all the teams that missed the playoffs ... I bet most of their fans would want the Jets team instead of their team.
You need to relax ... the Jets are on the rise.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Why are people still giving Chevy credit for results that have yet to occur? About to enter year SIX. The Jets have hovered in No Man's Land longer than any other franchise in league history.

What's it going to take for him to end up on the hot seat? I guess Edmonton, Buffalo, and Carolina making it back to the playoffs first would look pretty bad. The Jets would be the only team in the NHL without a playoff win since 2011.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ok, let's get back on topic here please. Tanking. One more game, then we can switch to thinking about the draft. In the meantime, this is NOT going to turn into another treatise about Chevy - create a separate thread to discuss it, if you'd like.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Typical Jets...finish the season on a hot streak when the goal was to tank.

Phenom goalie in the AHL - check

Trade your captain and leading goal scorer for futures - check

Schedule as many surgeries as you can - check

Keep a healthy Bryan Little out of the lineup - check

Play Stu with Trouba and increase his minutes - check

Callup as many young players as you can - check

Not sure what else they could do without healthy scratching some vets. Might still be winning games if Stafford and Thorburn were the ones in the PB. Sitting Buff would not be the right message IMO

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I disagree Bob. IMO it is a fortunate we have dropped as far as we have though I think we would have dropped further if we stayed healthy. The kids are showing they are ready. Now that we have turned things over to the next generation I expect a quick rise.

I guess my concern King is these games mean little. Maurice has even said we're not getting the opposition's "A" game, and the guys are loose.

It's almost a collective "**** you, we don't need a high pick" to fans wanting the team to lose and tank. I get that and glad they're playing hard to the end.

But I think there's also a danger in reading too much into these wins. Show it next fall and winter and I'll be swayed. Right now, for me, it's just a team that can't win enough, nor lose enough. No man's land.

But if we are lucky draft lottery night.....

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Bob I agree this is garbage time so to speak.

We could explode or implode next year.

I would not take the plates off the tank and put it in storage just yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The "tank" is pretty much finished. Might as well close the thread, I suppose.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

I guess my concern King is these games mean little. Maurice has even said we're not getting the opposition's "A" game, and the guys are loose.

It's almost a collective "**** you, we don't need a high pick" to fans wanting the team to lose and tank. I get that and glad they're playing hard to the end.

But I think there's also a danger in reading too much into these wins. Show it next fall and winter and I'll be swayed. Right now, for me, it's just a team that can't win enough, nor lose enough. No man's land.

But if we are lucky draft lottery night.....

Interesting to compare Mauruce pregame vs postgame. Pregame it's " we expect them to play at a high rate cause they have something to play for etc. " Post game it's " we don't get their A game and didn't expect it etc."

There is spin going on almost every time he speaks, even if you can't recognize it. Always take what Maurice says with this in mind.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Would have liked to lose some of these games down the stretch (LA, Min, Ana, SJ) to give us better odds, but it's always coming down to the luck of the draw anyway.

Jets have the second best last 10 games of all the 14 non playoff teams (1st is Buffalo). Maybe there will be non tank karma.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would have liked to lose some of these games down the stretch (LA, Min, Ana, SJ) to give us better odds, but it's always coming down to the luck of the draw anyway.

Jets have the second best last 10 games of all the 14 non playoff teams (1st is Buffalo). Maybe there will be non tank karma.

That would be a fun and fitting karmic end to this lost season, wouldn't it?

"And with the 1st overall pick, the Jets select Austin Mathews".

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Worst case scenario is Calgary moves up and we have have to watch them & Edmonton rule the West for a decade. I'm sure those who were around for the 80s will enjoy reliving that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So Monday is garbage bag day for the Jets. Hopefully this doesn't become a long time tradition, yet we have seen it 4 out of 5 years so far. I guess I was hoping for the quick drop down for the tank, get a great player, put him on the team next season, and bounce back.

Now we will probably still draft a good player, but more likely a 2-3 year project, than someone who can step in right away.

Should we start the tank on for next season?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So Monday is garbage bag day for the Jets. Hopefully this doesn't become a long time tradition, yet we have seen it 4 out of 5 years so far. I guess I was hoping for the quick drop down for the tank, get a great player, put him on the team next season, and bounce back.

Now we will probably still draft a good player, but more likely a 2-3 year project, than someone who can step in right away.

Should we start the tank on for next season?

Depends who we are playing in net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad