Tank is running out of gas - Tank Thread 2015/16 (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Last tank thread for the season - we'll be shutting this down as soon as the last game is played.

Gm0ney / Guilty Party's table from last thread:

TEAM|PTS|MAX|LOW| FRI 8 |SAT 9
Toronto|69|71|30||@NJD
Edmonton|69|71|30||@VAN
Columbus|72|76|28|@BUF|CHI
Vancouver|73|75|28||EDM
Calgary|75|77|28||@MIN
Winnipeg|76|78|26||@LAK
Arizona|78|80|24||@SJS
Montreal|80|82|23||TBL

Tanks!

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Minnesota (v Calgary) has nothing to play for.

LA still may have the division at stake - Anaheim 2 back with games Saturday and Sunday.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

LA still may have the division at stake - Anaheim 2 back with games Saturday and Sunday.

I could see Calgary taking out the Wild, and the Jets losing to LAK.

At least we'll know prior to the Jets game. If the Flames lose than there's no ambiguity, and everyone can cheer for the Jets to hammer the Kings.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I could see Calgary taking out the Wild, and the Jets losing to LAK.

At least we'll know prior to the Jets game. If the Flames lose than there's no ambiguity, and everyone can cheer for the Jets to hammer the Kings.

And Sceifele 30G Buff 20G

lighthouses

Jan 12, 2014
The % points difference between 6th and moving up to 4th on the 3rd draw is small.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This really sucks, I had hoped we would be in the bottom 3 at the end of the season. Watch we win the lottery for Matthews anyways.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Ducks need at least 1 point Saturday before our game or it renders our game meaningless for LA due to LA owning the tiebreaker. I can definitely see Minny mailing it in though because they are playing the last game to not get injured heading into the grind of the playoffs. I could see them giving the game off to some of the key vets.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
i guess hopefully the team wasn't counting on getting a top3 pick, and that the younger players who got a shot at the end of the year will progress fast enough to make this year an unfortunate blip. Unfortunately I think we'll be having this thread next year, unless a few unlikely moves are made.

23 or 21 point drop seems pretty damn steep.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
This team is dead to me this year...bad when I want them to be good...and good when I want them to suck....brutal

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Worst part of all this "winning when it means nothing" is the Jets are now just 11 points out of the wildcard. 11 points out of the wild card... 7 points from the bottom.

Can hear Chevy and Maurice spinning this in the summer to say how close the team was to the playoffs.

Instead of calling this team the Jets it should have been called "No Man's Land"

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What gets me, SCP is that seems to be the norm with this franchise. Other than last year. Bad when they need to be good. Good when it no longer matters.

Now you can look at the young first year guys who are playing really well lately: Ehlers, Copp, Armia, Petan, Dano and Melchiori as a positive for next year and years to come. But with Little and Perreault back in the lineup, what does that do to Petan, Dano or Armia?

How many of these guys are here to start next year? Barring an incredible TC and pre-season, guys like Tanev, Melchiori and maybe Petan will likely start the year in AHL. And then will compete with Lemieux, Lipon or Morrissey for call up time. That's a good thing. Competition for jobs is a good thing.

This team has a long ways to go, imo. Especially drafting a guy that may not contribute for a few years. Guys higher in draft tend to have the ability to contribute sooner. We're a few years away from guys contributing in a meaningful way, imo.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i guess hopefully the team wasn't counting on getting a top3 pick, and that the younger players who got a shot at the end of the year will progress fast enough to make this year an unfortunate blip. Unfortunately I think we'll be having this thread next year, unless a few unlikely moves are made.

23 or 21 point drop seems pretty damn steep.

Worst part of all this "winning when it means nothing" is the Jets are now just 11 points out of the wildcard. 11 points out of the wild card... 7 points from the bottom.

Can hear Chevy and Maurice spinning this in the summer to say how close the team was to the playoffs.

Instead of calling this team the Jets it should have been called "No Man's Land"

What gets me, SCP is that seems to be the norm with this franchise. Other than last year. Bad when they need to be good. Good when it no longer matters.

Now you can look at the young first year guys who are playing really well lately: Ehlers, Copp, Armia, Petan, Dano and Melchiori as a positive for next year and years to come. But with Little and Perreault back in the lineup, what does that do to Petan, Dano or Armia?

How many of these guys are here to start next year? Barring an incredible TC and pre-season, guys like Tanev, Melchiori and maybe Petan will likely start the year in AHL. And then will compete with Lemieux, Lipon or Morrissey for call up time. That's a good thing. Competition for jobs is a good thing.

This team has a long ways to go, imo. Especially drafting a guy that may not contribute for a few years. Guys higher in draft tend to have the ability to contribute sooner. We're a few years away from guys contributing in a meaningful way, imo.

Well then look on the bright side of this. Its lucky this lottery has 3 spots this season as opposed to 1 spot. When we were down around #4 I remember thinking I wish there was still only the lottery for 1st overall because we would still pick top 5. Now I am looking at the being in 6th-7th thinking that this is a good thing we draw for the top 3 spots.

Guys the odds are correct that this may take a while or we may still win one of the top 3 lotto spots and we get full tank privileges. Its not all sunshine and roses but its a better year to be in the 6 hole.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

[mod]

We're no better then our record shows, everything else is spinning and wishful thinking and speculation.

Not sure which is going to be worse, this past season or this upcoming summer. Ugh

Last edited by a moderator:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
[mod]

We're no better then our record shows, everything else is spinning and wishful thinking and speculation.

Not sure which is going to be worse, this past season or this upcoming summer. Ugh

Guess we'll see.

I think we are better than our record. If we clean up our penalty situation, fix at least the PK, and get league average goaltending, we'll be back in the race next year.

Not "spin" - just opinion. I could very easily label your thought processes as "spin" as well, but I'd rather consider it your own well formed opinion that I simply disagree with.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Guess we'll see.

I think we are better than our record. If we clean up our penalty situation, fix at least the PK, and get league average goaltending, we'll be back in the race next year.

Not "spin" - just opinion. I could very easily label your thought processes as "spin" as well, but I'd rather consider it your own well formed opinion that I simply disagree with.

Every team could say that though..."if we just do this, this and this we'd be a top team". Easier said than done.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Every team could say that though..."if we just do this, this and this we'd be a top team". Easier said than done.

Yep. For sure.

We did it last year though. Main difference this year was goaltending, and poor specialty teams. I won't convince those that are arguing against me though, so feel free to agree to disagree. We'll need to watch it play out in the 2016/17 season, I guess.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Guess we'll see.

Definitely agree that we are better than our record. But man is it ever important that we fix up our penalty and specialty team situations.

If we start the season with the same specialty teams coaches and Stu still eating up big minutes on the PK, we'll be in for another long season I fear.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Yep. For sure.

We did it last year though. Main difference this year was goaltending, and poor specialty teams. I won't convince those that are arguing against me though, so feel free to agree to disagree. We'll need to watch it play out in the 2016/17 season, I guess.
All I'm saying is that you are what your record says you are; no better, no worse. Next year is a new start.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
CfiW4mKXEAAo_D2.jpg

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
All I'm saying is that you are what your record says you are; no better, no worse. Next year is a new start.

That's not necessarily true. A team's true talent level can be better than their performance in wins.

On average we should expect just under 2 teams a season to substantially under perform and under 2 teams to over perform.

This is why we see the teams that vastly over/under perform things like shot models typical regress to that level the next season.

Some examples:
Toronto after going to the POs that one year
LAK missing POs last year and back in consistently once again
CGY making POs and missing this year
COL making POs 2 years ago and now missing two years in a row
etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad