Tampa Bay Lightning first Presidents Trophy winners to be swept in first round

Biggest Choke Job In NHL History

• Total voters

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Its mind boggling that a team with the best lineup on paper in the league, who have improved gradually yearly, were one win away from the SCF final against the team who won the cup last year, and had a historic regular season run get swept in the playoffs. Just amazing.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
They might have won if:

Maybe Tampa fans on this board talked more trash?

Maybe if the Tampa franchise was cockier?

Maybe if Tampa extended Coop before the playoffs?

Maybe if Bobrovsky didn’t sacrifice to the hockey gods to no longer be the modern day Dan Cloutier

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This is the biggest choke in NHL history. I challenge anyone to find a bigger choke.

They weren't just Presidents Trophy winners. They were Presidents Trophy winners who put up 62 wins and 128 points. They were 21 points and 12 wins higher than the 2nd-place team.

They were 16.4% higher than 2nd-place in points and 19.4% higher than 2nd-place in wins.

In other words, this wasn't some Presidents Trophy team who won the Presidents Trophy by 1 point or 1 win. Their margin of victory was huge.

Now, they get swept in the 1st-round of the Playoffs, not even winning 1 game?

If anyone wants to name a bigger choke-job, I challenge them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yea, but both of those teams made massive changes in the middle of the year. They weren't typical "8th" seeds.
this is true. They kept the players everyone said they should sell, like Bob and Panarin. Then, they added UFA players. Then, they were inconsistent and were in danger of missing the playoffs.

You've got to hand it to a team that puts it all on the line to win when the "smart" thing is to shrink away.

Reactions: Ebbisen

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
This is the biggest choke in NHL history. I challenge anyone to find a bigger choke.

They weren't just Presidents Trophy winners. They were Presidents Trophy winners who put up 62 wins and 128 points. They were 21 points and 12 wins higher than the 2nd-place team.

They were 16.4% higher than 2nd-place in points and 19.4% higher than 2nd-place in wins.

In other words, this wasn't some Presidents Trophy team who won the Presidents Trophy by 1 point or 1 win. Their margin of victory was huge.

Well, for starter, it wasn't a choke job.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
giphy.gif

Reactions: N o o d l e s

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

2014 San Jose reverse sweep is much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad