McKenzie: Tampa aggressively trying to move pieces

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
More valuable than a 6/7 D making 2.7M or a guy who's going to miss 20+ games and is a UFA at seasons end. He doesn't have lots of value but should be better than those two.

I mean I agree, I was more just getting at that it won’t be significantly more than those deals. (Maybe a second? Best case)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
More valuable than a 6/7 D making 2.7M or a guy who's going to miss 20+ games and is a UFA at seasons end. He doesn't have lots of value but should be better than those two.
Tyler Johnson signed until 2024 is certainly not worth more than Murray. In this economy he likely has negative value given the trajectory of his play.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
When a player is young, improving, or signed cheaply, a long contract is a benefit in a trade.

When a player is older, expensive, or declining, a long contract is a detriment in a trade.

If we had to guess which category Johnson fell into, which would it be?

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Lol embarrassing
If you're a vidya gamer it's actually insanely cool watching that shit be played competetively at an insanely high level.

I'm still old enough to find it strange watching dorky video-gamers with a pimply faces become millionaires, and date super hot korean models.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The advanced stats show Murray as a top pairing quality defenseman. He is not a bottom pair D.

If they could've moved Johnson for value, they would have done it already. They only have 5-6 teams you can trade him to. How high is demand for a $5M third liner on those teams? How much cap space do they have? I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't able to trade Johnson at all.

Murray was passed by Gavrikov who's younger and will most likely be cheaper. I can't see how his advanced stats say top pair defender? 2nd pair i can see but he's making too much for that and they have a better replacement already. He is a bottom pair one on Columbus who shouldn't be paying 4.6M for that.

Johnson isn't a 3rd liner on most teams, he can easily be in the top 6 and probably gets 1st PP time on some too. He's dipped a little but that's more to do with our depth then him fallen off so much.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Tampa is in a tough spot with NMC....the only time players will entertain movement is when the team is tanking.....just off a cup in a state that doesn't tax them heavily good luck pushing them out the door....

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tyler Johnson signed until 2024 is certainly not worth more than Murray. In this economy he likely has negative value given the trajectory of his play.

If Murray was healthy i would say he has more value but he's never healthy for a full season. So being a one year rental and not sure if you'll even get 60 games out of him has to hit his value. Johnson trajectory is based on the depth of our forward group. On most teams he would be getting more minutes and PP1 time, he can't here which is hurting his numbers but should still be good for 45 points which isn't too bad for 5M a year.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Murray was passed by Gavrikov who's younger and will most likely be cheaper. I can't see how his advanced stats say top pair defender? 2nd pair i can see but he's making too much for that and they have a better replacement already. He is a bottom pair one on Columbus who shouldn't be paying 4.6M for that.

Johnson isn't a 3rd liner on most teams, he can easily be in the top 6 and probably gets 1st PP time on some too. He's dipped a little but that's more to do with our depth then him fallen off so much.
Here's the backup on Murray:

Johnson isn't a 3rd liner on most teams, I agree. My point is that on the 5-6 teams that he would likely waive his NTC to, he would be a 3rd liner.

Reactions: 2Minutes4Surging

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m calling Killorn and Johnson to NJ for a 1st and 2 whatever bodies
Lol. That’s insane. Tampa will get no where close to either of those things in such a trade. Adding Johnson to Killorn makes Killorn significantly less valuable.

there isn’t much available cap space right now. It’s hard for any team to trade expensive bets WITH term.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Here's the backup on Murray:

Johnson isn't a 3rd liner on most teams, I agree. My point is that on the 5-6 teams that he would likely waive his NTC to, he would be a 3rd liner.

Depends what he values. He might be looking for opportunity, might be looking for weather, might be looking for low taxes, might be looking for a contender.

Our only report said, "a good mix of teams," if I remember correctly, so we have no idea what that means. I think there are a few teams in the league where Johnson would have positive value, but it's unlikely that two or more of them are on his list, which would be needed to drive his price up. So I'm pretty sure his value is, at best, neutral. And we might just flat out not be able to move him.

It wouldn't be shocking to lose a RFA. My guess is Cirelli. What's concerning isn't so much that we haven't moved Johnson, but that we haven't heard so much as a peep about Killorn.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Lol embarrassing
I mean, not to get too much into this issue and derail, can you really blame them when consuming the full season NHL product is comprised of watching 82 multi hour games of questionable significance with constant ads, blackouts, intermissions, and expensive streaming packages in an age where more and more people of that demographic are cord cutting?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
We've seen the price of shedding salary go up and up and up. Tampa is in a bad spot, this is going to get interesting.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

When a player is young, improving, or signed cheaply, a long contract is a benefit in a trade.

When a player is older, expensive, or declining, a long contract is a detriment in a trade.

If we had to guess which category Johnson fell into, which would it be?

Not sure its a trend, but we have seen several examples of trades for decent (some good) for 4th and 5th round draft picks. Might be a little too early to call it a trend, but there is some early consolidation or some support around that level of trade value.

IF this holds up, unless its an exceptionally good player, the ceiling for a decent player with longer term and or cap hit based on early indications is probably not going to be higher than a 5th round pick.

Last edited:

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
I'm 38 and am considered a Millennial....granted I'm at the extreme end of the age range.

BOLTFAN

Oct 5, 2020
Gotta think the Lightning are finding it tough going to unload Johnson and/or Killorn. They are at risk of Sergachev and/or Cirelli getting offer sheets. Given the lack of urgency, they must be fairly confident that is not as big a risk as it seems.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I’m calling Killorn and Johnson to NJ for a 1st and 2 whatever bodies

This won't age well I'd think and you have misjudged the market. NJD can get one or both of these guys for far less. I doubt their GM is that unaware based on what he's actually done recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad