Player Discussion Talbot

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don’t want to belabour this because there are a lot of other issues with this team right now, but Talbot has been horrid so far.

He’s the biggest difference from last year. Weak goals at the worst moments. Everything else is basically net zero (Letestu’s dip in performance is matched by RNH’s uptick, etc.), but you can’t saw off the goaltender’s performance with another area; he’s too important a position.

If he’s playing like he did last year, this team would basically be in the same place as it was last year. But he’s not, and it is hurting badly. He’s basically playing like Lehtonen/Niemi did for the Stars last year, and we saw how much of a difference Bishop can make. Unfortunately the Oilers don’t have that luxury.

What does this mean for his future? Is it just a temporary cold streak? What about his next contract?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Talbot reminding me of Jonathan Bernier in Toronto. It looked good at first...

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I love Talbot, but the truth is the opposing goaltender has been better than him the majority of the year. Its a big reason why their record is what it is.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
IDK maybe playing your goalie for 86 games in a single season isn't such a hot idea.

Another knock here on Chia: we've had Talbot for three years and never once have we had an NHL calibre back up.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Don't think it was fair to expect him to have another season like last year but he's been a major disappointment so far this season. We need to start giving Brossoit more games instead of burning the guy out.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Don't think it was fair to expect him to have another season like last year but he's been a major disappointment so far this season. We need to start giving Brossoit more games instead of burning the guy out.

LB is actually, somehow, worst than Talbot though. LB save% is a laughable .880. Talbot's is .911. Talbot has been pretty bad this year, no doubt about it, but putting LB in more is not the answer. Firing the GM that hasn't produced a tenable backup solution in 3 years now IS the solution. Chia must be fired, as fast as possible.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Playing exactly like Dubnyk before he got traded. The team clearly has no confidence in him what so ever. They came back to tie it in the first just to watch him throw it down the shitter. Like I've said earlier Talbot was horrible to start the last 2 years and last year the team won in spite of that and he finally got his shit together but lets not forget he almost lost his starting position to Nilsson his first year here.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
LB is actually, somehow, worst than Talbot though. LB save% is a laughable .880. Talbot's is .911. Talbot has been pretty bad this year, no doubt about it, but putting LB in more is not the answer. Firing the GM that hasn't produced a tenable backup solution in 3 years now IS the solution. Chia must be fired, as fast as possible.
Yeah I was just talking about what could be done with the current situation but firing Chia would be dope too.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Playing exactly like Dubnyk before he got traded. The team clearly has no confidence in him what so ever. They came back to tie it in the first just to watch him throw it down the ****ter. Like I've said earlier Talbot was horrible to start the last 2 years and last year the team won in spite of that and he finally got his **** together but lets not forget he almost lost his starting position to Nilsson his first year here.
Anders Nilsson is a pretty good goalie. I wonder what the Oilers would be like in an alternate timeline where Nilsson was allowed to run with the starter job

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Anders Nilsson is a pretty good goalie. I wonder what the Oilers would be like in an alternate timeline where Nilsson was allowed to run with the starter job

They probably aren’t as good last year, and by a significant margin. Talbot was a Top 5 goalie last year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Talbot aint .911 after that game he just had.

.903 if my math is correct.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
They probably aren’t as good last year, and by a significant margin. Talbot was a Top 5 goalie last year.

True but long-term it might have been better. Nilsson was a young goalie. I remember being so angry when Talbot was gifted a 4M+ contract for 3 years that season. Good thing he earned it last year.

It seems like if Talbot is facing 30-40 shots a game, he's good.
Less than that? He is awful.

We'd be as f***ed as Arizona if Talbot was facing 40 shots a game

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Playing exactly like Dubnyk before he got traded. The team clearly has no confidence in him what so ever. They came back to tie it in the first just to watch him throw it down the ****ter. Like I've said earlier Talbot was horrible to start the last 2 years and last year the team won in spite of that and he finally got his **** together but lets not forget he almost lost his starting position to Nilsson his first year here.

What happened to Dubnyk after that anyway?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This is the 2nd quarter of hockey Talbot has pissed away on this hockey team.

First 20 games of 2015 he was trash and lost the starting position.
First 20 games this year him and Kelfbom have single handedly cost this team a playoff spot.

When he's on he's damn good. But it's too late.. He could return now to last year Talbot and we're not making the playoffs. That's on him no matter what he does the rest of the year. Yada yada i'm sure he's a nice guy and never shows up his teammates etc. But you can't shit the bed for 20 game periods.

He's broken now. Like all players that fail on this team. He'll do fine once he leaves here but If there's one thing I recognize that the Oilers do damn well. Break players.

Klefbom is broken too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still notice he makes several huge stops per game, but ultimately cannot hold the dam, but that's somewhat unfair. In the St. Louis game for example he robbed Tarasenko point blank twice to keep the team in the game ... how does the team respond? McDavid gives the puck away to Schenn who finally breaks the team's back. That's all on Talbot?

Lets face facts ...

1.) This DEFENCE SUCKS - Without Sekera and Klefbom regressing to Mark Fayne, this is effectively one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL right now. Any goalie's save percentage will take a large hit playing behind a d-group this bad. Stop kidding yourself. Right now this is one of 4-5 worst D-groups in the NHL.

2.) This Forward Group SUCKS - Aside from the Vegas fluke, they are the lowest scoring team in the league. Which leads to frustration. Which leads to forwards cheating massively for offence. Which leads to bleeding chances the other way. Chiarelli has built a low scoring/grinder team, and now the kids who want a high scoring team are getting frustrated and cheating because they want to score.

Well behind those two factors if you're expected a .910+ save percentage, you're asking for miracles. It ain't happening. The main reason we went 3-1-1 on that road trip was Talbot, otherwise we are even worse this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I still notice he makes several huge stops per game, but ultimately cannot hold the dam, but that's somewhat unfair. In the St. Louis game for example he robbed Tarasenko point blank twice to keep the team in the game ... how does the team respond? McDavid gives the puck away to Schenn who finally breaks the team's back. That's all on Talbot?

Lets face facts ...

1.) This DEFENCE SUCKS - Without Sekera and Klefbom regressing to Mark Fayne, this is effectively one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL right now. Any goalie's save percentage will take a large hit playing behind a d-group this bad. Stop kidding yourself. Right now this is one of 4-5 worst D-groups in the NHL.

2.) This Forward Group SUCKS - Aside from the Vegas fluke, they are the lowest scoring team in the league. Which leads to frustration. Which leads to forwards cheating massively for offence. Which leads to bleeding chances the other way. Chiarelli has built a low scoring/grinder team, and now the kids who want a high scoring team are getting frustrated and cheating because they want to score.

Well behind those two factors if you're expected a .910+ save percentage, you're asking for miracles. It ain't happening.

910 save perectange is not very good. Even on the 27th place oilers Talbots first year here he had close to his career average numbers 917 and 2.55 gga

This year is 903 and 3.1 gga

Career is 920 and 2.39

Quit trying to defend him. He hasn’t been good enough. Rather poor actually.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
910 save perectange is not very good. Even on the 27th place oilers Talbots first year here he had close to his career average numbers 917 and 2.55 gga

This year is 903 and 3.1 gga

Career is 920 and 2.39

Quit trying to defend him. He hasn’t been good enough. Rather poor actually.

The team in front of him is garbage, you're not going to get a good save percentage with one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL and the lowest scoring one in the NHL.

He still makes several huge stops per game, something Dubnyk was not doing. It's just not enough ... this team is just garbage right now.

This is a bottom 5 D corps right now. On top of that the forwards on this team give the puck away and blow coverage every 2nd/3rd shift taking risks because they cannot score to save their lives. No goalie is magically saving that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad