GDT: Take My Liiiffee, Cause It's Already Over! Islanders at Panthers at Toronto

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Ekblad needs to be captain.

Don't really care about any shake ups the new gm may do or who it is.

The core is so-so and the depth sucks.

Just hope the new gm is competent and ownership stays out of it

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It’s a top heavy team, this is why we are so inconsistent because the middle six is really bad. Outside of Huberdeau, Barkov and Hoffman (maybe Dadonov) you cant count on anyone on a game to game basis. Defensively it’s a gong show.

Also, every free agent signing brought in this past offseason failed (Connolly, Stralman and yes, Bobrovsky) except Noel. Sad.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Dumpster fire franchise. Even Q sounded defeated and said nothing of substance in the post game presser, almost like he gave up and didn't care himself.

12.5% better come through, or there's really not any silver lining to this garbage season. (Yet another garbage season)

This franchise has taken Q's spirit. He's just here for the money now.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
It’s a top heavy team, this is why we are so inconsistent because the middle six is really bad. Outside of Huberdeau, Barkov and Hoffman (maybe Dadonov) you cant count on anyone on a game to game basis. Defensively it’s a gong show.

Also, every free agent signing brought in this past offseason failed (Connolly, Stralman and yes, Bobrovsky) except Noel. Sad.
This is something I don't see mentioned enough. Our middle 6 guys were absolutely decimated by the Isles' middle 6.

Like you mentioned, after Hoffman it's a significant drop off that only got worse when Trocheck left (not saying we should've kept him, but he's more talented than Haula or Wallmark no doubt). We had no one to match with Nelson, Bailey, Pageau or the newly emerged Beauvillier and we got exposed for it. Plenty of guys who just cannot make a pass and can't do anything coherently in the offensive zone.

You combine that with a middling defense that struggles to make an outlet pass with guys like Matheson and Yandle fighting the puck constantly and you have a recipe for disaster.

Thankfully we have a few guys coming up in Denisenko, Tippett and even Serron Noel that could help us out (especially in that middle six) within a year or two. Can't expect too much of them but they're at least a few promising young guys in the picture.

The defense is a whole other issue. But honestly it's only up from here. They can't really get worse defensively so whatever moves are made will be positives in my opinion. The worst thing will be drudging out this same group next year expecting better results.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's like when players come here they have to give terrible quotes

“It was kind of a mixed feeling,” Bobrovsky said when asked to assess his whole season on a Zoom conference call following Game 4. “In the beginning it was very hard for me. At the end I started to feel better and better. I adjusted more, got more comfortable with the rhythm, with the whole surroundings, with the guys, with the team, with the coaches. For this short period I felt pretty good physically, mentally, and I think we made some strides as a team. This team, I don’t know (the last time) when they were in the playoffs, and to get that (one) win against the Islanders, to get that feeling, how it tastes, how it’s worth it, it brings us even more together. It’s a process. You can’t jump right away to the roof. You have to make some baby steps towards our goal. Still, there’s lots of talent in this room. We’re close, and we’re excited about our future.”

For the next GM, Panthers' weaknesses are obvious. The solutions are not - TheHockeyNews

You won 1 game of what technically barely qualified as playoffs against a 7 seed lol. Also laughing at the unintentional roast of "I don’t know (the last time) when they were in the playoffs" it was only 4 years ago, 2 playoff appearances in 5 years is better than normal for this team :laugh:

Reactions: Haj

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It's like when players come here they have to give terrible quotes

For the next GM, Panthers' weaknesses are obvious. The solutions are not - TheHockeyNews

You won 1 game of what technically barely qualified as playoffs against a 7 seed lol. Also laughing at the unintentional roast of "I don’t know (the last time) when they were in the playoffs" it was only 4 years ago, 2 playoff appearances in 5 years is better than normal for this team :laugh:
Oh, the quote is a lot less cringe-worthy if it was about his whole season :) I think he did take steps about playing around the team and I hope we build around him next season...frankly, we have 3 forwards I care about next season (Huby, Barky, Acciari). Wally would probably be there, but I am not sure where. Hoffman if we re-sign as well. If we want to make the team more defensive and physical sure... On defense, Stillman, Weegar, and Ek play the right way for him; I'm not sure about the other bozos...

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Bob had the lowest by far low danger save percentage of all goalies in the play in round. The only goalie sub .900. Let in too many softies. Period as per usual. He was lights out on medium danger and mid road high danger. Overall one of the lowest sv% in play in round. Not nearly good enough. Just like the rest of the team

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bob had the lowest by far low danger save percentage of all goalies in the play in round. The only goalie sub .900. Let in too many softies. Period as per usual. He was lights out on medium danger and mid road high danger. Overall one of the lowest sv% in play in round. Not nearly good enough. Just like the rest of the team
If you have a point to make, just say it.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
An average team completely dominated us. I'm still pissed off about the lack of effort.

This team is f***ing garbage. If I was the owner, I'd burn the roster, coaching staff, and GM down. Pick a President of Hockey Operations from a team that knows what they are doing and give him carte balance to reshape the team.

No players and coaches should f***ing talk about winning if they are just collecting a paycheck. Talk about how you are looking forward to golfing and fishing. f***ing assholes.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
An average team completely dominated us. I'm still pissed off about the lack of effort.

This team is f***ing garbage. If I was the owner, I'd burn the roster, coaching staff, and GM down. Pick a President of Hockey Operations from a team that knows what they are doing and give him carte balance to reshape the team.

No players and coaches should f***ing talk about winning if they are just collecting a paycheck. Talk about how you are looking forward to golfing and fishing. f***ing assholes.
Teams really should be allowed to have a nuclear option for firing obviously floating or underperforming players.

I’d like my job to give me a 7 year salary guarantee and I can start floating and playing golf. It’s ridiculous what the Mathesons and the Strals and the Connollys get away with.

Reactions: Haj

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Teams really should be allowed to have a nuclear option for firing obviously floating or underperforming players.

I’d like my job to give me a 7 year salary guarantee and I can start floating and playing golf. It’s ridiculous what the Mathesons and the Strals and the Connollys get away with.

I'm okay with losing if they play hard, leave it all out there, and just aren't talented enough.

Literally 70% of the roster no-showed.

Reactions: Boothinator

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Makes you wonder why Q didn’t scratch at least Connolly too. I think Stralman is just old. Both of those free agents had some risk. Connolly coming off a career year with an unsustainable shooting percentage and Stralman has been good his entire career but had a knee injury plus he’s on the natural decline.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep, I'm working on a quick comparison between Dreidger and Bob I'll release in the next few weeks.

The major difficulty is comparing defensive quality: as of now, it looks like the team actually played much better around Monty than either of them...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Makes you wonder why Q didn’t scratch at least Connolly too. I think Stralman is just old. Both of those free agents had some risk. Connolly coming off a career year with an unsustainable shooting percentage and Stralman has been good his entire career but had a knee injury plus he’s on the natural decline.

I wasn't enamored either of those guys but I was predicting Stralman getting signed due to lack of (veteran) depth on defense but he was imo a total letdown considering how much salary he commands. Connolly was fine, showed on scoresheets about on half of the games and he met his expectations as a middle6 forward. There should be a few more AHLers/fringe NHLers for Q to try in the lineup, would make scratching players a lot easier.

Reactions: RainingRats

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bob has to be better, contract aside. And in the playoffs you go nowhere with anything except for above average goaltending.

Makes you wonder why Q didn’t go with Driedger for at least one game. Q made some poor decisions

Reactions: I am not exposed

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yep, I'm working on a quick comparison between Dreidger and Bob I'll release in the next few weeks.

The major difficulty is comparing defensive quality: as of now, it looks like the team actually played much better around Monty than either of them...

The data is actually fascinating: under one definition of high danger quality changes against Matheson is mid of the pack: Weegar, Brown, and Ek do much better per minute, while Stralman, and Stillman do worse. But then again, Brown has about 40% of his starts in the offensive zone (Matheosn 37%), while Stillman only has 32%...

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I mean Connolly had a poor playoffs and was weak down the stretch but he was likely to match his goal total from last year or at least hit 20 again.

He scored some key goals at times this season and wasn't totally useless. He doesn't really do much more on the ice so 20 goals is all you can really ask for from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad