GDT: Switzerland - Latvia

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
A game that means everything to Team Latvia and literally nothing to the Swiss.

Switzerland already know who they're playing against in the quarters, having clinched the 1st place in Group B.

Will they make an effort or will they play it safe?

The odds on a Swiss win in regulation have dropped from 67% to 50% during the day, which does not make sense to me tbh.

Aiziet puiki!

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
The odds on a Swiss win in regulation have dropped from 67% to 50% during the day, which does not make sense to me tbh.
It makes a lot of sense. Should SVK lose another point in previous game, QF would be clinched for LAT. So the result SVK-NOR gives extra motivation to LAT while SUI can still play just for fun and fans.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It makes a lot of sense. Should SVK lose another point in previous game, QF would be clinched for LAT. So the result SVK-NOR gives extra motivation to LAT while SUI can still play just for fun and fans.
I think the market has overreacted unless someone knows something not yet in the public domain, e.g., the Swiss team resting some of their leading players.

On an unrelated note, there's a very neat piece in the Swiss media about the Latvian head coach Vitolins being a childhood idol to Niederreiter while he played for Chur.

There's actually a very strong connection between the Swiss hockey system and Latvia and both the Latvian players and the coaching staff intimately know the ins and outs of the Swiss team.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Siegenthaler said that the team will play to win in order to have our first ever perfect first round in the WC.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Heard on the Slovak TV that the Swiss team were promised 1mio bonus for winning the tournament with perfect score.
I see. Our federation suits are at the top of their game once more. This is exactly the kind of politics that will lead to winning the round robin with a perfect score just to loose in the quarters because the players are all tired. :D

But seriously who cares about a perfect score? Just win the damn thing in the end.

Perfect in term of point, not just victory
Ah ok. I forgot the IIHF plays with a three point system after watching a lot of NHL games this year. :laugh:

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I see. Our federation suits are at the top of their game once more. This is exactly the kind of politics that will lead to winning the round robin with a perfect score just to loose in the quarters because the players are all tired. :D
While our federation deserves it's fair share of critics, I would not take a comment from a Slovak TV for real. Let's criticize when we have a proper source.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
While our federation deserves it's fair share of critics, I would not take a comment from a Slovak TV for real. Let's criticize when we have a proper source.
Well I wasn't completely serious with my comment, therefore the use of the smiley. But still it would't surprise me if they actually put in such a silly bonus structure in place. The money would be better invested in our youth program should this claim from the Slovak journalist actually be true, wich is still doubtful at this point, as you correctly pointed out.

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Well I wasn't completely serious with my comment, therefore the use of the smiley. But still it would't surprise me if they actually put in such a silly bonus structure in place. The money would be better invested in our youth program should this claim from the Slovak journalist actually be true, wich is still doubtful at this point, as you correctly pointed out.
Need to look for the sarcasm section in my brain again it feels like :D

Reactions: Speyer

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

But seriously who cares about a perfect score? Just win the damn thing in the end.

Ah ok. I forgot the IIHF plays with a three point system after watching a lot of NHL games this year. :laugh:
The bonus comes from the IIHF, Canada received it in 2015

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
This'll be a blast. Latvia only needs one point to make the quarterfinals. If they were to lose on OT, they'd face off vs USA. If they win, were it on regulation or OT, they would play vs Sweden. If however they lose, Slovakia would make it through as the fourth team and play vs USA in the quarterfinals.

Interesting times for a seeding nerd such as myself :D

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
3rd goalie shouldn't be a problem, Joren Van Pottelberghe has an NHL-upside and played very well lately.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Switzerland without:

Malgin, Hischier, Kukan, Niederreiter. Only 18 forwards.
Wow, that is a huge equalizer. Still would say Swiss have a marginal talent advantage but their big edge was top tier talent, not depth as much.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Wow, that is a huge equalizer. Still would say Swiss have a marginal talent advantage but their big edge was top tier talent, not depth as much.
I wouldn't be so sure about the depth, 17 different players have scored a goal for the swiss so far. I also don't know if it's really good for Latvia to play against healthy scratches that want to show that they belong to the team I really don't think it's gonna be that much easier for them now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad