WC: Switzerland 2024 roster talk

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Switzerland became among the favs last year after they assembled a good team.

With NJ Devils not looking good to get a playoff-spot the swiss could be an outsider once again.

As of now they could get a handful of good NHL'ers in Hischier, Siegenthaler, Meier & Kurashev, while they also have former NHL-players in Malgin, Berni etc from NLA.

Schmid and Moser is UFA/RFA, while Niederreiter, Fiala, Suter and Josi seems bound for playoff.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
It is early, I know, but let's have a look at who could be available from the NHL for the WC this year.

Nico Hischier
Timo Meier
Jonas Siegenthaler
--> it looks more and more like the Devils will miss the playoffs. That would, obviously, be a huge boost.
JJ Moser
Philipp Kurashev

That would already be a good start, With Nashville and the Kings currently on the brink of making the playoffs, we have potentially Fiala and Josi to look forward to. As always, Josi is the big x-factor and would easily be the best player and most important piece to a potential success.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
In general, Switzerland has been burning too much energy in the group stage. Achieving great results there (including beating Canada both in 2022 and 2023), but then running out of steam.

10 games in 16 or 17 days is a tough thing to handle.

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Where does Schmid rate among Swiss goalies?

Behind Genoni for sure.

I really hope to see Josi, he hasn't been there since 2019.

As for fiala, if LA don't go far, he certainly won't come as his wife is expecting their first child in May.

I also hope to see Bichsel! He broke his leg just before the tourney last year. Hopefully he will be here this time.

Siegenthaler is now hurt, if it's a concussion it's possible that we won't see him in the tourney.

To me we will see for sure (if NJ doesn't make a miracle) :

Hischier
Meier
Kurashev

Last edited:

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Behind Genoni for sure.

I really hope to see Josi, he hasn't been there since 2019.

As for fiala, if LA don't go far, he certainly won't come as his wife is expecting their first child in May.

I also hope to see Bichsel! He broke his leg just before the tourney last year. Hopefully he will be here this time.

Siegenthaler is now hurt, if it's a concussion it's possible that we won't see him in the tourney.

To me we will see for sure (if NJ doesn't make a miracle) :

Hischier
Meier
Kurashev
I hope they bring Berra along. He is playing at a high level this year, higher than Genoni. Behind them Schmid is definitely an option among others as well.

I agree on the ones listed that should be available, but Moser I expect there as well, he would give the team a big boost.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
You guys need to note that both Schmid and Moser is RFA after this season. Without re-signings before WC its really small chances they will come.

But with Hischier, Meier, Kurashev, (Siegenthaler) they are good for now. Josi will be a nice addition, while Suter (Vancouver), Niederreiter (Winnipeg) and Fiala (awaiting baby in May) probably not gonna come.

With feks Malgin, Berni, Bichsel as well they will have a good team..

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Wrong time for a concussion for Siegenthaler. But it's still two months, and he has not had a history like Josi. So we can still hope.

Moser, we will see. Kurashev and other came while RFA (even Fiala once), so why not.
Fiala is probably out of question because of the baby, Suter and Nino look like contenders, but yeah, you'll never know. Nashville got better and better latley.

I guess Bichsel will go to Dallas after his season ends in Sweden (If that's possible because he's on loan).

Just please no Fora anymore. Or guys like Heldner. I'd even pick Dionicio before them.

Hofmann already out. Geisser was also injured and didn't come back yet. Dean Kukan had a difficult January with sickness, I really hope he recovered. He's an essential player for the team.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Can someone make a roster projection consisting of players who are healthy and (likely) available? I would do it myself but I have no idea about any roles. I can just pick the best players. :D

Switzerland are an interesting team for sure. Two silvers won but usually suffers quarterfinal-exit....

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Wrong time for a concussion for Siegenthaler. But it's still two months, and he has not had a history like Josi. So we can still hope.

Moser, we will see. Kurashev and other came while RFA (even Fiala once), so why not.
Fiala is probably out of question because of the baby, Suter and Nino look like contenders, but yeah, you'll never know. Nashville got better and better latley.

I guess Bichsel will go to Dallas after his season ends in Sweden (If that's possible because he's on loan).

Just please no Fora anymore. Or guys like Heldner. I'd even pick Dionicio before them.

Hofmann already out. Geisser was also injured and didn't come back yet. Dean Kukan had a difficult January with sickness, I really hope he recovered. He's an essential player for the team.
Dionicio will play at the Memorial Cup as a member of the host team

Memorial Cup ends on June 2

So it's impossible for him to be there

Maybe next year?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Solely based on his numbers does Davos goalie Sandro Aeschimann deserve consideration? Have heard of the others but know very little about him other than him playing one year of college hockey (Division 3) early in his career.

Reactions: Valeson81

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Dionicio will play at the Memorial Cup as a member of the host team

Memorial Cup ends on June 2

So it's impossible for him to be there

Maybe next year?
It was more of a joke. Don't think he's ready yet.

Aeschlimann failed to show up in his games for the national team. Don't think he'll get consideration. There are at least 4 or even 5 other goalies in front of him (even if you don't count Akira Schmid)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Turns out the national team has used the Swiss coat of arms illegally on their jerseys for years and now got a cease and desist order to stop it, just in time for the World Championships:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Solely based on his numbers does Davos goalie Sandro Aeschimann deserve consideration? Have heard of the others but know very little about him other than him playing one year of college hockey (Division 3) early in his career.
He has been average to terrible every time he played for NT, he would really have to wow in EHT games when given a chance for WC invitation to happen.

Reactions: Valeson81

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It was more of a joke. Don't think he's ready yet.

Aeschlimann failed to show up in his games for the national team. Don't think he'll get consideration. There are at least 4 or even 5 other goalies in front of him (even if you don't count Akira Schmid)

Assuming Genoni is one of the goalies, whi replaces van Pottelberghe and possibly Mayer from last year's team?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Mayer is nowhere last years level, so I don't expect him.

Berra plays a strong season, so I guess he'll be back. Beside Berra, Genoni and Van Pottelberghe I could see Connor Hughes getting a shot.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Mayer is nowhere last years level, so I don't expect him.

Berra plays a strong season, so I guess he'll be back. Beside Berra, Genoni and Van Pottelberghe I could see Connor Hughes getting a shot.

I had assumed van Pottelberghe was injured and unavailable.

Assuming that Genoni and Berra are the one and two goalies for Switzerland, would the team management bring along a prospect like U20 goalie Alessio Beglieri as the third goaltender to gain the experience of being at a World Championship?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No, Van Pottelberghe is just stuck behind Säteri and doesn't get enough play-time. So his change to Lugano makes perfectly sense.

Assuming that Genoni and Berra are the one and two goalies for Switzerland, would the team management bring along a prospect like U20 goalie Alessio Beglieri as the third goaltender to gain the experience of being at a World Championship?
No way. It's either JvP or Hughes or Descloux I guess.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was looking at last year's lineup and then the players they've used in the Europe Trophy tournaments.

Other than having the various Devils available from the start, how many players from the 2023 squad are back in the lineup this year?

Who figures to replace the ones who aren't back?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Let's talk names:
Last year D:
Fora / Geisser / Glauser / Kukan / Loeffel / Marti / Moser / Siegenthaler

If fit I expect Geisser / Glauser / Kukan and Marti to return. Also Loeffel had a good season and is a very reliable D-men, and shoots R.
Siegenthaler has a concussion, we'll see. If fit he'll report, I'm pretty sure. Moser is RFA. I can imagine he'll report, but we'll see.
I don't want to see Fora anymore.

Other names: Bichsel (Depending on Dallas plans), Berni, Müller, Karrer, Frick, Egli, Aebischer, Le Coultre, Baragno, Stadler, Streule. (ordered by possibility of call-up). Leon Muggli has a fantastic season. He'll play U18-WC. Depending on how many injuries we have, you'll never know.

Last year F:
Ambühl, Bertschy, Corvi, Fiala, Haas, Herzog, Hischier, Malgin, Miranda, Nino, Riat, Richard, Senteler, Simion, Thürkauf.

I don't expect Fiala and Nino, both are commited to a deep play-off run.
Ambühl, Idk, his scoring dropped. There will come a time when he has no place anymore. Already this year? I would not be surprised.
Berschty => Lock
Corvi => Lock
Haas => Lock
Herzog => Lock
Hischier => Lock
Malgin => Lock
Miranda => Hm, he had good WC last year, but had a mediocre season. He'll get a call up and gets his chance in the preparation games.
Riat => He's a good player and very versatile so I'm pretty sure he'll be there again.
Richard => Wasn't as strong as last year, he had half the points from last season. He has to prove himself in the preparation games.
Senteler => Very versatile player, too. Behind Riat in terms of skill and offensive production. Depends how many players are available.
Simion => Getting hot in the playoffs again, if he continues like this he's a lock.
Thürkauf => Exceptional season, but tough playoffs. But he's a lock.

Other names:
Kurashev, Meier, Andrighetto, Nussbaumer, Lehmann, Moy, Martschini, Schmutz, Ken Jäger, Scherwey, Fuchs, Bader, Rochette, Simic, Zehnder.

Did I forget someone?

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Let's talk names:
Last year D:
Fora / Geisser / Glauser / Kukan / Loeffel / Marti / Moser / Siegenthaler

If fit I expect Geisser / Glauser / Kukan and Marti to return. Also Loeffel had a good season and is a very reliable D-men, and shoots R.
Siegenthaler has a concussion, we'll see. If fit he'll report, I'm pretty sure. Moser is RFA. I can imagine he'll report, but we'll see.
I don't want to see Fora anymore.

Other names: Bichsel (Depending on Dallas plans), Berni, Müller, Karrer, Frick, Egli, Aebischer, Le Coultre, Baragno, Stadler, Streule. (ordered by possibility of call-up). Leon Muggli has a fantastic season. He'll play U18-WC. Depending on how many injuries we have, you'll never know.

Last year F:
Ambühl, Bertschy, Corvi, Fiala, Haas, Herzog, Hischier, Malgin, Miranda, Nino, Riat, Richard, Senteler, Simion, Thürkauf.

I don't expect Fiala and Nino, both are commited to a deep play-off run.
Ambühl, Idk, his scoring dropped. There will come a time when he has no place anymore. Already this year? I would not be surprised.
Berschty => Lock
Corvi => Lock
Haas => Lock
Herzog => Lock
Hischier => Lock
Malgin => Lock
Miranda => Hm, he had good WC last year, but had a mediocre season. He'll get a call up and gets his chance in the preparation games.
Riat => He's a good player and very versatile so I'm pretty sure he'll be there again.
Richard => Wasn't as strong as last year, he had half the points from last season. He has to prove himself in the preparation games.
Senteler => Very versatile player, too. Behind Riat in terms of skill and offensive production. Depends how many players are available.
Simion => Getting hot in the playoffs again, if he continues like this he's a lock.
Thürkauf => Exceptional season, but tough playoffs. But he's a lock.

Other names:
Kurashev, Meier, Andrighetto, Nussbaumer, Lehmann, Moy, Martschini, Schmutz, Ken Jäger, Scherwey, Fuchs, Bader, Rochette, Simic, Zehnder.

Did I forget someone?

Josi. We miss him so badly. Hard to say what Nashville will do in the playoff.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Hell yes, Josi. His experience and leadership would surley help in a Quarterfinal.

Sandro Schmid is another name who played good recently and could get a shop depending on who's available.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
There are two Swiss players in college hockey's Frozen Four tournament here in the USA.

Michigan State's Nicolas Muller is 24 years old and in his fifth year of college hockey so he may just be an older player dominating younger opponents.

But Western Michigan defenseman Cedric Fiedler is a big defenseman who blocks shots and is a leader for the Broncos. Western Michigan also has a reputation for developing pro defensemen.

Reactions: pouf pouf

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, both played WJC for Switzerland. Müller also played 1 or two preperation games for the senior team a few years ago. He's reported to sign in the NLA next year.

Fiedler has pro-potential, too, but I don't think he ends up playing WC sometime.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yeah, both played WJC for Switzerland. Müller also played 1 or two preperation games for the senior team a few years ago. He's reported to sign in the NLA next year.

Fiedler has pro-potential, too, but I don't think he ends up playing WC sometime.

Michigan State and Western Michigan just played in the NCAA Tournament - with Michigan State winning 5-4 in overtime.

Noticed Muller early for some skill plays but don't remember seeing him much after that. Hardly noticed Fiedler but that can be due to the role he plays.

Reactions: pouf pouf

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3