Switching Postions

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Okay,

I just got moved from forward (four years of playing forward) to defense. I don't like defense, but I'm one of the best, if not the best, player on our team.

Do you have any tips for playing defense?

Its in a no contact women's league.

I'm a good skater with good stick handling skills, my only problem is, playing power forward for years my motto has been "I don't like defensive responsability."

I'm a good backchecker and good shot blocker, the only thing is, I dont know what to do in front of the net.

Thanks!

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Pretty much all I gotta say since it's a non-checking league: positioning will be key. Make sure you're not out of place whenever you jump into the offensive rush, which could lead to odd [wo]man rushes when the other team breaks out of the zone. LOL. But since I don't like playing defense (well, at least the position since I'm a center) either, take my advice with a grain of salt, haha.

vcx*

Position is key, never leave your check and always watch the passing lanes, the same ones you as a powerforward would look to stay open for. Other than that, be good at lifting the stick and tying up your check. I played defense for a long time and thats what i would do if i wasn't allowed to hit, when i was allowed to hit well, lets just say Kasparaitis influenced me a lot.

I'm doing the opposite, i'm getting used to playing forward, i'm a right hand shot and fiind myself comfortable playing left wing, i always rush back before the forwards when the puck is turned over.

vcx*

Closing the gap is good, but never do it before the blueline if you are skating back, if you are skating side by side try to just lift their stick and slow them down that way, of course not hooking and getting your team in trouble.

I always studied game tapes of good NHL defensemen like Foote, Ohlund, Bourque, etc and see how they play man on man. A good team to watch is the Calgary defense, they play a good man on man coverage and take away passing lanes (i hate the flames but they do it very well).

Never wait by the player, be infront or in a position to intercept and always be cautious of your surroundings like a trailer or something, never just focus on one player. It will take time, its not easy to jump from forward to defense, i'm finding it a little easier to jump to forward from defense as i always liked to rush the puck as a defenseman.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well... in front of the net in a non-contact league is tricky. Keep between the player you are checking ad you net, trying not to block the goalie's view of the play.

Once in a while give your opponent a little jab/bump to let them know that you are there and also to judge the distance between you and them. Once the puck is passed to them, lift her stick/knock her stick and take a step closer to her and get a little contact. Then it is a one on one battle. If you gain possession, throw it in an open corner or to a team mate that is 100% open.

Burnaby_Joe*

Watch how Adam Foote plays, but don't play like him. You might get suspended.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
A good move I learned is to hook the players hands when he is coming in on you or is next to you, 95% of the time you wont get a penalty because it doesn't slow him down, but it does make him look control of the puck often because there is a stick played in his hands, doing this as there about to shoot or pass usually messes up there shot as well. You just gotta pick your spots when to do it because if your stick is up in the air then they can if they are quick enough deke around your fairly easily which will probably result in you taking the hooking call in desperation. Leetch always did this and was never called on it.

Like you I recently went from Forward to Defense after playing forward for 8 years, important thing to remember is you ARE going to make mistakes, just dont let it get you down or you will play a worse game. Your not going to be used to making a mistake to allow a goal because when you play offense that rarely will happen. I just finished my first season as a defenseman and i could see myself getting better as the season went on. Luckily though you will probably be a very good offesnive defensman like I was(since you played offensive for so long) so you will be able to help the team score goals from the blueline which is always a plus.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
The hardest thing for me when I switched to defense(I'm a forward) was learning how to read the play coming out of the attacking zone. You are going to have to pay much closer attention to where everybody is when the game transitions.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
FLYLine88 said:
A good move I learned is to hook the players hands when he is coming in on you or is next to you, 95% of the time you wont get a penalty because it doesn't slow him down, but it does make him look control of the puck often because there is a stick played in his hands, doing this as there about to shoot or pass usually messes up there shot as well. You just gotta pick your spots when to do it because if your stick is up in the air then they can if they are quick enough deke around your fairly easily which will probably result in you taking the hooking call in desperation. Leetch always did this and was never called on it.

Be careful with moves like that though. I'm a powerforward, and if I match up against a defenseman who plays like that he usually ends up getting the message to stop "or else" pretty quickly ;).

I've had to play on defense occasionally, generally for PK or if our dmen were simply tired. To start, I'd say don't worry about the offensive side of the ice.. just make sure you're back and in position, make sure you match your outside shoulder up with their inside shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad