Switzerland: Swiss players in North America

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
You can not argue that the World Junior Championships (both under 18 and under 20) have a huge impact on players' draft rankings and, ultimately, their draft position. Every scouting department, ranking service, and NHL GM pays close attention to what happens during these tournaments, without question.

I wasn't arguing they had no huge impact, quite the opposite actually. I pointed out that, in my opinion, performances at those tournaments have too much weight in the scouting process. As an example, Reto Berra and Leonardo Gennoni have been teammates since for ever, and their learning curves have been mostly similar. They both ended up in the U18 team, and Berra was the hot goalie at the time and got most starts. He was drafted in the 3rd round, while Genoni went undrafted, which I found odd for two very close players. I can understand why the average hfboard poster would be fooled by a player's world championships performance, but an NHL scout should base his opinion on much more than a two weeks tournament.

Switzerland were relagated last year and did not participate this year in Ottawa. Ultimately, that reality will have a huge impact on the mentality and the perception of the young players in this country. Winning breads winning. If a bunch of under 18 year-olds experience success at a young age at an international level, they will carry it with them throughout their careers.

A relegation was bound to happen with the U20 system leaving no room for a team like Switzerland to have a bad game. That's why I would argue for increasing the number of teams to 12, but that's a whole other debate. I'm more worried about the stagnation that happend since the U20 won bronze and the U18 won silver. Switzerland needs to regulary beat a top team and get out of the 7th/8th place zone.

Pyschologically, IMO, many Swiss players and fans do not have a belief that they should be in the top tier of international hockey, for some reason. This is despite recent wins over the Czechs and Canadians in Italy, the Swedes in Quebec, and the relative ease at which Zurich won the Champions' League this season. How can you change this belief?

You have a point here. How Zurich's win is regarder as such a huge upset is completely beyond me. I mean, a Swiss club team beating Swedish, Finnish or Czech opposition is hardly an upset, and beating a Russian one is far from being the kind of "once in a lifetime" event it is made to be. Still, Swiss fans will complain about the usual quarter final exit at the world championships. Go Figure...

Yes, it does come from the grass roots. But the system is strong which is exemplified by the successes that I have already mentioned. Swiss hockey is good.

I realize that repeating the Bronze you won in the 1998 WJC will not be easy, and when I suggested that you win two or three medals on the trot I wasn't trying to imply that it is something that is going to happen immediately. But from my perspective (and I am by no means an expert having only lived here for one year), and in a way you have reinforced it, these tournaments mean very little to the Swiss. Until they do mean something, you will continue to struggle.

You are right, those youth tournaments mean nothing to most fans (which you should not consider a trait of Swiss hockey, but rather of European sport). However, coaches consider them an important part of the development system, but the feeling I had when I took part in coaching clinics is that they are a part of the process rather than an end. This, in my opinion, is the right approach because you don't build top notch U18 players out of nothing, you need to start the process way earlier.

Can you beat the World at a professional level? Yes, you have shown glimpses of it. Can your kids compete with with the best at an amatuer level? Apparently not, based on the evidence at hand.

This is obvious to scouts and professional analysts in the hockey community as well.

Switzerland was once considered better in youth hockey than at the pro, when they regularly played the quarter finals of the U20/U18 worlds but had trouble with Germany, Belarus and the like at the pro level, so I don't think your quote is that accurate.

And one thing you have to remember is that youth tournament favors teams with the highest player depth, that's the reason Canada, Russia and the US usually perform better than Sweden, Finland or the Czech Republic.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
very intersting discussion you have here.

I can bring little more than what you say. Except that while it is true that the victory of the Zurich Lions was an amazing fact, specially the way they did it, in preseason games, swiss teams often beat other european teams.

I follow closely Bern and each preseason they play German, Finish, Russian or Swedish teams. They almost always win !
I know it is preaseason ... but it is also preaseason for Bern.

Bern being one of the best swiss teams with, in any case, the biggest budget will be better in the coming years ... after the VanBoxmeer era. Speically in important games. Like the ones in european championship.

For the swiss national team, they improved seriously their level ... they did not only show up in Milan beating Canada and another big dog, some years ago, they also beat Russia in Moscou. Repeatedly the Swiss have been wining on teams in the top 6.

I feel that the level is improving. At a point in time they will be among the top countries on a reliable basis. And more swiss players will scratch NHL ice. The NHL trend is here ... no matter the ups or downs of each players ... Switzerland never had 2 goalies and 1 field player in NHL. and as many as 5 or 6 in AHL.

So for the time being they may be underrated. They are pushing ... strongly. Any young swiss player watches at Streit, Gerber Hiller or Sbisa now. They know that if they play a couple of years in AHL ... they will have a decent level back in Switzerland (Helbling). If they play regularly in NHL, they will be stars. And jackpot ... if they have good years in the NHL.

The underrating is also due to the fact that the NHL environment is conservative ... (remember Von Arx coming back to switzerland had some serious and negative words about the NHL and the righteouseness in players selection). They all act a bit like sheeps ... so start a trend and your guys will be looking at you (exemple : swiss goaltending ... after Aebischer, came gerber ... today you have Gerber, Hiller and Stephan in NHL + Manzato in AHL). Which is the corner in which we are now. Underrating is the normal state of a trend that is in acceleration. Overrated is the inverse. Underrated can also mean underpriced. This is what will make swiss players have success. The best UFA this years, Streit, who is today considered as an amazing opportunity ... The islander GM gets praised for his good deal. other GM will be willing to make same deals ! Streit by his "low salary" in regards of what he brought to the Islanders this year so far is paying for the underrated etiquette swiss player will have on them. Underrated is a much healtier condition for improvement. (In economics Underrated could be applied to a product launch when its use exceeds its pricing ... during the strong growth in sales)

Some weeks ago, we had for the first time 2 swiss players dominating the statistics in NHL in different areas. We had Streit leading the D men points and Hiller % saves and GAA. (it was short though !).
We had that 7or8 years ago with 2 goalies leading the %saves and the GAA for some weeks (gerber and Aebsicher). before this never such a thing happend. never.

It is a pitty that if some swiss players want to succeed, they do not adapt to the way they work abroad. Like Ambuhl who wishes to play in the NHL but will not move from where he is, imagining that scouts will come and ring at his dor ! The swiss player wanting success has to move ... his parents or the club should have them play in pewees or such junior tournaments. Then they should aim at playing in NA junior leagues ... like weber or :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

We may be discussing some short term tendencies, underratings or ... but the trend is our friend. Close the eyes and reopen them in 5 to 10 years!

Last edited:

TheFirstSaviour

May 22, 2008
Vancouver/Basel
stv11,

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the relationship between the world junior events and scouting, at least we both agree that their is a strong link between the two.

I agree with you, that Switzerland does suffer from a small sample of players to choose from and a tournament that does not allow for a few losses without relagation. I also think the IIHF needs to reconsider the conditions for qualification and demotion (case in point: Kazakhstan this year). Perhaps a play out tournament in September?

I do still think, however, that there is a lot more that a player can gain from the major junior tournaments than just experience on the way to becoming a better player. I respect your opinion, however, after a few successful years the Swiss hockey boards might start to take the tournament more seriously. And the kids who experience that success will go on to think that they deserve to experience it again in the future. I hope that day comes soon.

Hence, for Canadians, it is a win at all costs tournament which is dramatically emphasized and used a measuring stick for the future of hockey in our country. Whether the kids respond or not is almost irrelevant. What matters is that they know what is expected of them, and what it means to put on that jersey. It is the beginning of something special in their lives.

Torero,

I wish Swiss hockey all the best. Assuming that Canada fails in their attempt for Gold, I will be routing for der Schweiz all the way at the WC next month! Hop hop.

I do think that with the success of guys like Kopitar, Vanek, Streit, Boedker, Huet and Ehrhoff, NHL brass will consider players from outside of the top seven nations less cautiously. In the past two seasons, Eller and Boedker have proven that teams are more willing to take a gamble on players from less developed hockey nations early in the first round.

In terms of the future for Switzerland, I have no doubt that you will be a major force within 5-10 years - if not sooner. As I mentioned earlier, it could come as early as May! Your players just have to believe in themselves. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I think we mostly agree about the facts. Where I have trouble following you is when state that "Switzerland should focus on becoming more competitive at the U18/U20 level", because I think it is simply not possible without the players undergoing a whole development process. Those teams are a part of this process.

It is of course possible to improve a particular team's chemistry. That has been done the last couple of year with the U20 team playing a game against every National League B team (games which counted in the standings).

TheFirstSaviour

May 22, 2008
Vancouver/Basel
I think we mostly agree about the facts. Where I have trouble following you is when state that "Switzerland should focus on becoming more competitive at the U18/U20 level", because I think it is simply not possible without the players undergoing a whole development process. Those teams are a part of this process.

It is of course possible to improve a particular team's chemistry. That has been done the last couple of year with the U20 team playing a game against every National League B team (games which counted in the standings).

Fair question.

What I am referring to is how much emphasis is put on these teams at a national and club level. I am new to Europe, so please let me use the two examples I know best, the US and Canada, to exemplify.

The USNTDP works extremely hard to create a fantastic program for the development of under-20 ice hockey players in the US. The coaching and training at this level is unreal, and the program strives very hard to find talented players and develop them to reach the next level in their careers. Recent graduates have included James Van Reimsdyk, Erik Johnson, Ryan Kesler, Patrick Kane, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rick DiPietro, and many, many, more.

Their goal is to take junior age players and divide them into two programs for the two major junior tournaments. If they have one criticism, it's that they put too much emphasis on the program when selecting their teams for the under-18 and under-20 tournaments. Many talented American CHL players are disregarded because they elected to play major Canadian junior hockey instead of staying with the NTDP.

This year, Slovakia knocked them out en route to the semi-final, which tells you something about the calibre of players they are producing, despite also having a small pool of players and few rinks.

I have already told you what these tournaments mean to Canadians. Who has coached us to victory in both tournaments this past year? The legendary Pat Burns, who also coached our Olympic team in the past two tournaments. He also, incidentally, was a key figure in our own inquiry into the problems with Canadian hockey, which took place after our failures in 1998.

I love prospects. I love these tournaments. I also play on two teams in Switzerland (just for fun!) and I am also familiar with the National League B, as I live in Basel.

Even you (a well educated and devoted fan of Swiss hockey, I believe) have stated that these tournaments do not matter that much (I would, however, disagree that all of Europe shares your opion. For proof, take a look around these forums for feedback on the recently announced Swedish under-18 roster. People do appear to care).

Few people I know seem to know anything about the young players in this country. I may be wrong, but I don't think the media, fans, or clubs are doing enough to encourage these players to be international stars. And that's who they will be competing against. Not just in these tournaments, but in the future as well on a senior level.

Tartar, Panik, and Janus must feel like stars of the future after the exposure and success they received in December and January (for Slovakia). How many NHL scouts do you think have made an attempt to see Tartar since that tournament? I know that is not good scouting in your opinion, but it is reality.

Get the media on it. Get your top coaches on it. Encourage the National A teams to do more to develop their young talent for the sake of Switzerland, and not just for club success.

It shouldn't be necessary to send players to Canada or the USA to develop them. Switzerland has enough money, rinks, support and clubs for world stars to develop right here. Make that a priority and the results will come. Just as they have come at World Championships, in the Olympics, and in the CL already.

We are, after all, talking about the future here. Let those kids know that they are it.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
What I am referring to is how much emphasis is put on these teams at a national and club level. I am new to Europe, so please let me use the two examples I know best, the US and Canada, to exemplify.

The USNTDP works extremely hard to create a fantastic program for the development of under-20 ice hockey players in the US. The coaching and training at this level is unreal, and the program strives very hard to find talented players and develop them to reach the next level in their careers. Recent graduates have included James Van Reimsdyk, Erik Johnson, Ryan Kesler, Patrick Kane, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rick DiPietro, and many, many, more.

Their goal is to take junior age players and divide them into two programs for the two major junior tournaments. If they have one criticism, it's that they put too much emphasis on the program when selecting their teams for the under-18 and under-20 tournaments. Many talented American CHL players are disregarded because they elected to play major Canadian junior hockey instead of staying with the NTDP.

This year, Slovakia knocked them out en route to the semi-final, which tells you something about the calibre of players they are producing, despite also having a small pool of players and few rinks.

I know about the USNTDP. This is a very solid concept in my opinion, but not suitable with the way minor sport is organized in Europe, where each club team has its own development program, and league play is stopped at some points during the season to allow for international tournaments to take place. Would it be possible to switch to a US-like system with a full time national team ? I think it is, clubs would let their junior aged player leave to play an entire season for a NTDP if they can be convinced that it would help them to take the next step in their development (as long as said player is not playing for his club's professional team yet, which makes me think that it would be harder to push this concept on the U20 NT than on the U18). But as far as I know, nobody has ever proposed such a concept in Switzerland.

I have already told you what these tournaments mean to Canadians. Who has coached us to victory in both tournaments this past year? The legendary Pat Burns, who also coached our Olympic team in the past two tournaments. He also, incidentally, was a key figure in our own inquiry into the problems with Canadian hockey, which took place after our failures in 1998.

I am interested in anything related to hockey and have a genuine interest for other cultures' point of view, so I'm fully aware of the importance of these tournaments to Canadians. But I'd like to point out that this is in line with the interest for junior sport in North America. I'll address that point when responding to the next paragraph.

I love prospects. I love these tournaments. I also play on two teams in Switzerland (just for fun!) and I am also familiar with the National League B, as I live in Basel.

Even you (a well educated and devoted fan of Swiss hockey, I believe) have stated that these tournaments do not matter that much (I would, however, disagree that all of Europe shares your opion. For proof, take a look around these forums for feedback on the recently announced Swedish under-18 roster. People do appear to care).

First a bit about myself. I have a strong interest for anything related to hockey, which of course helps in getting educated. I have played the game for many years now, albeit always at a low amateur level, and coached during 6 seasons for my (small) hometown club, in age categories ranging from 6 to 12 years old, under the supervision of a professionnal (Canadian btw) coach (I unfortunately had to quit coaching in late 2004 when I found my current job and had to leave my hometown). This allowed me to take part in some coaching clinics and meet some guys involved in high level hockey and get some inside perspectives about player development for the national teams. Those people are fully aware about what Swiss player lacks compare to those from better European hockey programs, and despite the lack of a USNTDP-like program, are trying to make NT player spend as much time together as possible to help them reach the next level.

Despite being educated about hockey (well, at least I hope I am ;) ) and having some coaching experience, I admit I don't have a particularly strong interest for prospects and I am not good at judging player potential. I still follow junior tournaments with a strong interest, but, as I told you, I consider them a mean rather than an end.

Now I'd like to address your assumption that European fans as a whole don't share my opinion. It is obvious to me, and I guess to you as well, that there is nothing in Europe that can be compared to junior hockey in Canada, or college and high school football or little league baseball in the US. Even in soccer, by far the most popular sport in Europe, there is few interest for junior aged competition (final tournament of international competitions may be an exception, but more because of sheer nationalism than genuine interest for future stars of the game). In Europe, junior sport is considered a step on the way to the real thing.

Your observation about the feedbacks regarding the U18 Swedish national team mislead you (no offense) to the conclusion that the situation is different in Sweden. While your observation is true, don't forget we are on HF, and people here are more likely to have interest in prospects. The only conclusion that I would get out of this is that there are more knowledgeable fans in Sweden than in Switzerland, probably both because of the sheer number of hockey fans, and the highest proportion of knowledgeable ones.

Few people I know seem to know anything about the young players in this country. I may be wrong, but I don't think the media, fans, or clubs are doing enough to encourage these players to be international stars. And that's who they will be competing against. Not just in these tournaments, but in the future as well on a senior level.

Tartar, Panik, and Janus must feel like stars of the future after the exposure and success they received in December and January (for Slovakia). How many NHL scouts do you think have made an attempt to see Tartar since that tournament? I know that is not good scouting in your opinion, but it is reality.

Get the media on it. Get your top coaches on it. Encourage the National A teams to do more to develop their young talent for the sake of Switzerland, and not just for club success.

Most fans in Switzerland are in for the show. I find it sad that most people you meet at hockey games usually can't name three players from the visiting team, and have rarely played the game at any level, but it is true. They will also critic the national team coach for not choosing a particular player, failing to understand his concept of "making the best possible team out of 20 Swiss players" rather than "making a team out of the 20 best Swiss players".

As a follower of the NLB, you're probably aware that the U20 national team plays a game against every team from that league during the season. That, in my opinion, is a good thing for the U20 NT as it allows the coaches to take a look at more players, and can only improve team chemistry. But fans of NLB teams simply don't like this, as they consider it a step in the direction of making their league a farm team one, a possibility that would kill interest for the league as no one wants their team to be reduced to the role of feeder for another one. Another example of the difference with the North American point of view.

It shouldn't be necessary to send players to Canada or the USA to develop them. Switzerland has enough money, rinks, support and clubs for world stars to develop right here. Make that a priority and the results will come. Just as they have come at World Championships, in the Olympics, and in the CL already.

We are, after all, talking about the future here. Let those kids know that they are it.

This is probably not obvious to someone who didn't follow Swiss hockey during the last ten years (I don't mean you in particular), as Switzerland still don't produce much more NHL players than ten years ago (though even at this level, an improvement is visible), but player development has greatly improved since current national team coach Ralph Krueger took over in 1998. Last years, the senior national team went to the world championship without many players arguably good enough to make it (Streit, Wichser, Von Arx, Plüss, Ziegler, Camichel, Rüthemann and many others I can't remember right now) for various reasons. Switzerland still ended the tournament with easy wins against France and Denmark, a key win against Belarus (wth the Kostitsyn brothers, Grabovski and Salei), and an upset against Sweden. Going to the 1998 tournament with so many key players out would have meant a fight against relegation with an uncertain outcome. This proves that a big step forward was made regarding player depth.

Now, the next step would be to develop top end talent, and by that I mean NHL caliber players, and, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, a snowball effect improving Swiss hockey as whole could result. To get there, I think it is necessary that a fair amount of Swiss players take the CHL route, as North American scouts usually take this as a proof of the player commitment to eventually play in the NHL. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely do not support sending every Swiss talent to North America and have the development process being "outsourced" (can't think of a better word), but if some have success following this route, it can only speed up the whole process.

TheFirstSaviour

May 22, 2008
Vancouver/Basel
stv11, that was an excellent response! I have really enjoyed this discussion and you have helped me to better understand the system from a Swiss perspective.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

You mentioned that you worked under a Canadian coach, which leads me in another direction.

What is the Swiss mentality towards foreign coaches at a youth level?

I too have coached a little bit (in Canada, England, and in Bahrain) and I am an international teacher in Basel now (which I may have already mentioned), so therefore I am used to working mit kinder.

Unfortunately, my German (or should I say Swiss German) is progressing really, well, langsam. Would the EHC Basel (Dragons) be interested in my help? I have been really busy this year integrating (although I did manage to get in 24 games myself), but I was considering volunteering to offer some help next year to players in the minor hockey program. I am not a Canadian certified coach, unfortunately (I left Canada in 2001 after graduating from uni, and I was a still a player at that time).

Is there certification in Switzerland, and if so, would I be a candidate despite my language difficulties and Auslander B? I would like to help in some way, and think I have some things that I could offer a team. But I do not know anyone in the system.

What do you (and others reading this) think?

After living in England and Bahrain for the past seven years, it is great to be back in a hockey culture! Thanks for welcoming me in this forum and in your country. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
In my experience, being a foreigner should not be an obstacle in getting in a coaching position. I worked with a small local club, and we had a professional coach as head of the whole program with an assistant in every age class (at least that's what the club aimed for). As it was difficult to find enough people, anyone willing to help was welcome (I started at age 20 without having been in any coaching position previously).

Now regarding bigger clubs, that may be different, but if I take the big club's development program I'm the most familiar with (Lausanne HC's, which is bigger than EHC Basel's), any help is welcome, especially in the younger age classes, so getting into the system should not be a problem.

However, I must emphasize that I'm from the French speaking part of Switzerland and that the Canadians I met through coaching where all from Quebec, so I have no experience regarding the language issue you may face. It seems to me that communicating is an important enough part of coaching to make language your biggest obstacle.

Regarding the certification, they are awarded in courses organized by what is called "Jugend und Sport" (youth and sport), a multi-sport organization which awards coaching certifications in Switzerland. Usually, your club will register you for the course (this may even be the only way in, but I'm not sure about that). There are different level of certification, and you are required to start at the lowest one (meaning you would first get a certification allowing you to coach the youngest age classes or the lowest amateur leagues). However, I must point out that when I started coaching (99-00 season), I had no certification and got my first one the following summer, and I know many similar cases, though I've been told that rules regarding coach certification are more strongly enforced nowadays (remember I quit coaching 4 years ago), so maybe you will have to start as an assistant coach.

I would suggest you to get in touch with EHC Basel, using the contact form on their website : http://www.dragons.ch/joomla2/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=1&Itemid=22
They will probably be happy to answer your questions.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Yannick Weber is back in the Hab's roster :

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Weber+adds+punch+blue+line/1479768/story.html

Luca Sbisa is also likely to go back to the flyers ... but only for the playoffs ! why ?

answer : http://www.philly.com/inquirer/spor...rent_says_he_feels_better__wants_to_play.html

Funily while 2 swiss players (out of 3) are likely to leave the NHL arena because their team hasn't qualified for the playoffs, 2 might join in !
(all is hypothetique since the 3rd (Hiller & Ducks) did not clinch the spot yet, Weber will be tested in the last regular season games)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yannick Weber is back in the Hab's roster :

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Weber+adds+punch+blue+line/1479768/story.html

Luca Sbisa is also likely to go back to the flyers ... but only for the playoffs ! why ?

answer : http://www.philly.com/inquirer/spor...rent_says_he_feels_better__wants_to_play.html

Funily while 2 swiss players (out of 3) are likely to leave the NHL arena because their team hasn't qualified for the playoffs, 2 might join in !
(all is hypothetique since the 3rd (Hiller & Ducks) did not clinch the spot yet, Weber will be tested in the last regular season games)

Those moves are not surprising, NHL teams often carry many extra players during the playoffs. But I wonder if weber would have made the world championship roster had he not be called by the Habs.

TheFirstSaviour

May 22, 2008
Vancouver/Basel
Why didn't the Swiss team leave a few spaces open for potential post first round entries such as Sbisa and Weber? They could both be in town for the Swiss opener on Friday, and are fresh and in game shape as well.

I'm assuming that Belarus is preparing the flight details for the Kostistsyn boys.

tycho

Sep 4, 2008
Why didn't the Swiss team leave a few spaces open for potential post first round entries such as Sbisa and Weber? They could both be in town for the Swiss opener on Friday, and are fresh and in game shape as well.

I'm assuming that Belarus is preparing the flight details for the Kostistsyn boys.
As far as I know Krueger won't announce ALL the player in the roster to the IIHF yet.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Actually from the 25 players named by Krüger, only 22 will play in the first round (the IIHF allows coaches to add three players between the 1st and 2nd round).

But the only North America based player that could benefit from that is Hiller, I doubt Krüger will add any of Sbisa or Weber.

TheFirstSaviour

May 22, 2008
Vancouver/Basel
According to the IIHF homepage they announced their team earlier this week. Weber played well in Game 3 against Montreal. With Markov and Schneider out of the lineup he was given a big role and responded with a goal and an assist in a 4-2 loss. Unfortunately he was outmuscled on the boards which led to the first Boston goal, however.

All in all, it was a good game for him still. Koivu had some great things to say about him, his ability to move the puck and QB the PP, and his future.

TheFirstSaviour

May 22, 2008
Vancouver/Basel
Actually from the 25 players named by Krüger, only 22 will play in the first round (the IIHF allows coaches to add three players between the 1st and 2nd round).

But the only North America based player that could benefit from that is Hiller, I doubt Krüger will add any of Sbisa or Weber.

I am shocked to hear so little on the Weber for Switzerland front! With the Olympics coming up, considering his form this year in the AHL and NHL, and reflecting on his future in the national team setup, why is he not being flown into town, asap? Bogosian, Doughty, and Schenn are all in town for a reason, and it may have more to do with the future than the present.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I am shocked to hear so little on the Weber for Switzerland front! With the Olympics coming up, considering his form this year in the AHL and NHL, and reflecting on his future in the national team setup, why is he not being flown into town, asap? Bogosian, Doughty, and Schenn are all in town for a reason, and it may have more to do with the future than the present.

I think you have a point.

Yet The swiss hockey is having more and more young guys ... and it is not the particularity of Krueger to give special treatment for players.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

Well, you have to understand that teams like Switzerland have a different approach to the WC than one like Canada. Result at this tournament is imperative to secure the 8th place and to see where Switzerland stands compared to the top teams, while in Canada it is just an opportunity to see some players perform internationally on the way to the Olympics, which are considered the real tournament.

Another point is that Ralph Krüger is paid to win, not to develop players, so he picks the team that in his opinion will get the best results. With Switzerland not having enough talent to beat a top 6 team, getting result against those goes through a perfect team game, thus the need to use players that are used to play together. That means that for a North America based player to be picked, he needs to be significantly better than one the has taken part in all the exhibitions games during the season. This is why an NHL depth player won't get the nod over a dominant European league player.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I was saying that Ambuhl had the bad attitude and was too demanding to make it to the NHL ! Well I have the pleasure to announce you that I was wrong !!

As many of you already know Abmuhl was contracted by the NY Rangers for 1 year.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/lidstrom-out-for-game-4-in-chicago/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/186480-goings-on-in-rangerville

We were daydreaming about the first successfull swiss forward in NHL ? Here we have a shot .... .

I am a bit worried he may be undersized and underweighted for the NHL. With full hearth ... GoAndresGo

dsg89

Mar 24, 2009
I was saying that Ambuhl had the bad attitude and was too demanding to make it to the NHL ! Well I have the pleasure to announce you that I was wrong !!

As many of you already know Abmuhl was contracted by the NY Rangers for 1 year.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/lidstrom-out-for-game-4-in-chicago/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/186480-goings-on-in-rangerville

We were daydreaming about the first successfull swiss forward in NHL ? Here we have a shot .... .

I am a bit worried he may be undersized and underweighted for the NHL. With full hearth ... GoAndresGo

I am sure he can play as physical as Betts and Callahan, so I don't see his size and weight as a problem. The Rangers got only 4 forwards with contracts for the next season. Could be, Ambühl is playing in a third or fourth line with Callahan and Sjostrom or Voros.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Bad news for one of our landsmen : Tobias Stephan

Although it is nothing official, a simple newspaper article

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2009/6/2/896164/the-task-ahead-for-joe-nieuwendyk

it seems that odds are not in his favour with the stars.
In fact i do not understand what happened with him. He played almost no game ... the few games he played were not outstanding ... but in statistics not worse than Turco ... and their we are.

if someone has some explanations on that ... i would really welcome them.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
His 1st Game was a strong one but was lost in OT..... And then for a goaltender without playing time he played so so!

Although they always say you have to be ready when they call you as a backup, Stephan wasn't able to do that... I think that Matt Climie has surpassed him in the depth chart and so there's no need for Stephan...

The good thing for him is, that he's unrestricted Free Agent and has the chance to sign with every team (if there is a team that wants him)...

But I think he'll be returning back home, hopefully to Kloten since Rueger is more than overdue (still playing good though)....

As for Amühl, I think he has a real good shot a knocking on the opening night roster... I hope he'll prepare right for the training camp so he's gonna be in good shape!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad