Switzerland: Swiss players in North America

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Sooooo...
Since the playoffs are over now, I think it's time to round up the seasons of our boys :handclap:

I'll give it a try...

ANAHEIM

Jonas Hiller:
Struggled heavily until 2012 (the Ducks had a collective-meltdown this season... And Hiller was a BIG part of that), but was actually very solid after the All-Star break. The main reason is, most likely, that he still suffered from his vertigo issues. I think he is on a good way to get back to his All-Star form. Played 73 games this season and set a new franchise record in consecutive starts.
Conclusion: +/-

Luca Sbisa:
Also struggled in the first part of the season and had, as it seems, some differences with ex-coach Carlyle... Since they signed Boudreau he truly flourished! He often gets overlooked because of Cam Fowler, but I think: In this season, they almost played on the same level offensively and Sbisa being superior when it comes to physicality and Defense. He once again made a big step in direction #2 D, what I see as his ceiling.
Conclusion: +

CALGARY

Sven Bärtschi:
Wow... That's all we can say about such a tremendous season. He dominated the WHL, had a 2PPG average in the regular season and was the playoff topscorer, while only his linemate Ty Rattie even came close to his stats (probably with Bärtschi as the main reason). (At least) one coach named him as the best player currently playing in the dub with guys like Emerson Etem playing in the same league. And in the finishing minutes of the playoff-races he got called up and scored 3 goals in 5 games for the Flames. It's a shame that he suffered from a minor concussion, it would have been a perfect season for him (And he probably would have been flat out dominating the scoring lists of the CHL).
As great as all this sounds and as hard it is to not get too excited about him: It still was "only" the CHL. We don't know how he will translate to the NHL. But the small sample we have shows us a bright future for this incredibly talented, young forward.
Conclusion: ++ (With extra-:yo::handclap::D)

MONTREAL

Raphael Diaz:
Well, there wasn't really more to be expected from him. He played good, when he had the chance to and came into injury issues at the end of the season. He looked reliable on both ends of the ice, what really is kind of surprising, since he was a rookie who never played on the small surface before and was expected to stay in the AHL for a while. If he completely recovers from his injury, I see him as a permanent #5-#6 D in MTL with some shifts in the top 4.
Conclusion: +

Yannick Weber:
Oh boy... And he started so well... Had some great games on the begin of the season, but fell apart after that. Even with his shot he is a permanent risk on the PP, let alone on even strength. Is fighting with Raphael Diaz for the spot (They make each other redundant), and it seems like he's loosing it. Will most likely be traded until next season or will be sent to the AHL. Sad, MTL gave him enough chances to succeed.
Conclusion: -

NASHVILLE

Roman Josi:
Very, very solid rookie season by Josi, who won the hearts of Nashville's fans without any troubles. Some of them are even talking about him as their top prospect with D-men Jonathon Blum and Ryan Ellis as competitors. He played an impressive season since he was called up. For a short time, he even had to play 1st-line minutes and did his job in a surprising good manner! He still has some flaws, but that's nothing that couldn't be corrected in the upcoming years. Let's see, how his sophomore season will be... I'm looking forward to it.
Conclusion: ++

NY ISLANDERS:

Nino Niederreiter:
Poor Nino. After having probably one of the worst rookie seasons ever by a Top 10 pick, his self esteem is crushed. And the worst thing: It even isn't only his fault! Without any doubts, he played awful. But I think we should blame the Islanders for calling him up WAY to early. They basicly wasted one year of his development (Hey, he knows now how to play defensive, since he played around 9 minutes per game on the 4th line for one season :sarcasm:). Let's hope for him that they send him down to the AHL where he can get top line minutes and regain some confidence. Because after all, he's still a top prospect.
Conclusion: -- (With extra-:cry::shakehead:help:)

Mark Streit:
This season began very good for Streit, as he got the C as the first swiss of all times! After that, he immediately began to score, as we know it from him. But as soon as we took a look on his +/- - stat: Yikes! Something went terribly wrong with his defensive game. He struggled in this aspect, most likely because of his injury last season, because as longer the season went, as steadier became his +/- - stat. A ok season when it comes to offense, but we need to see an improvement in the defense.
Conclusion: +/-

OVERALL CONCLUSION: +/-

And sorry for the long post *cough*
Thoughts?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I mostly agree with your rating, but I think you're a bit harsh a Hiller, who was really overplayed last season. Hopefully Fasth can get some start next year. I would also be a bit less enthusiastic on Bärtschi given that he was just a junior player, except for that succesfull NHL stint, but five games are not enough of a sample to draw conclusions.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Damien Brunner's options seem to be shrinking :

Penguin's say no : here

Tampa Bay says no as well : here

Red Wings then ? Habs ?

I really hope he will jump to the other side of the ocean.

Anyone has some news ? tks

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
TheNeutrality,

You should be less neutral towards Hiller. He did really well in the second part of the year and played an amazing number of games with a sloppy team in the first half !!
In my view he deserves a +

Streit also recovered and the second half was way better than the first. My view is a +

Yannick Weber ... well he had a rough time, to his defense he had a change of coach, many new players ... i still agree with your rating but i regret for him. Funnilly when i watched games with him, i felt he was pretty solid. I must have seen his good games by a random walk in his favor resulting into a sampling bias. ?? if he played the way i saw him, he would have been of the same level than many others. a top 6 with PP minutes.

I agree pretty much with the others.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Time to reinitiate this thread :
yesterday Brunner : 2 goals, 2 assists = 4pts
today Josi : 2 goals, 2 assists = 4pts

Reading this thread since the beginning ... where we came from and how we evolved in 4-5 years !!

:yo: simply great.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The Islanders got rid of their Swiss players :laugh:

Actually, although i liked the Islanders as a team, i am happy for Nino that he starts a new period in another team ... specially with the Wildcats that made serious acquisitions in the last years. I believe that at a point in time, they will become contenders for the cup !! Yes. El Nino! yes.

As per Streit, well, to stay too long in the same team may not be appreciated by him. Whatever, hopefully he will have some nice 4 years in front of him. It is a fact that he is a constant and consistant scorer and pointer.

I wonder what will happen to Hiller, Sbisa. Lots of rumors around them.
I guess that Hiller is likely to stay another year at least with the Ducks. Fasth is not a proven goalie, Gibson is in no way ready ... and nothing proves that Fasth or Gibson are better than Hiller !!

Josi is a lock for how many years again ?

Brunner ... may be asking a bit too much for the taste of the Red Wings managers. let's see :laugh: pity, i liked him and his team.

Diaz will probably stay some more years with the Habs.

Weber ... i hope he will not give up ... because at a point in time he was the best prospect for the Habs. It never really translated into a star but he has the potential to reveal. He has a deadly shot and brings a lot to a PP. And scores on a recurent basis.

Bartschi ... will not move ... for some years. Hopefully this year will be a year to score lots of goals !

The new guys are likely to be Bera, Moser and ... next year (the year after) Suri and maybe some surprises ...

What surprises would you see ?
Andrighetto making the habs ?

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
The Islanders got rid of their Swiss players :laugh:

Actually, although i liked the Islanders as a team, i am happy for Nino that he starts a new period in another team ... specially with the Wildcats that made serious acquisitions in the last years. I believe that at a point in time, they will become contenders for the cup !! Yes. El Nino! yes.

As per Streit, well, to stay too long in the same team may not be appreciated by him. Whatever, hopefully he will have some nice 4 years in front of him. It is a fact that he is a constant and consistant scorer and pointer.

I wonder what will happen to Hiller, Sbisa. Lots of rumors around them.
I guess that Hiller is likely to stay another year at least with the Ducks. Fasth is not a proven goalie, Gibson is in no way ready ... and nothing proves that Fasth or Gibson are better than Hiller !!

Josi is a lock for how many years again ?

Brunner ... may be asking a bit too much for the taste of the Red Wings managers. let's see :laugh: pity, i liked him and his team.

Diaz will probably stay some more years with the Habs.

Weber ... i hope he will not give up ... because at a point in time he was the best prospect for the Habs. It never really translated into a star but he has the potential to reveal. He has a deadly shot and brings a lot to a PP. And scores on a recurent basis.

Bartschi ... will not move ... for some years. Hopefully this year will be a year to score lots of goals !

The new guys are likely to be Bera, Moser and ... next year (the year after) Suri and maybe some surprises ...

What surprises would you see ?
Andrighetto making the habs ?

Moser making the Preds would be a huge surprise to begin with.

Perhaps some team will throw a 2-way at Hollenstein, which he'll likely not sign. But else... nah.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I hope that Weber won't get a QO and can sign elsewhere a two-way contract, I'm quite sure there is a market for him if he's FA.

Tanner Richard is also a player to watch, I'm very keen to see what he can show in the AHL. Berra will also likely start in the AHL, we'll see what Moser does at the camp. Andrighetto is also surley heading to Hamilton if he's signed (and I think he'll be).

Diaz has one year left, is UFA afterwards, if he stays healthy this year and plays as he played at the begin of the season he can get a nice contract afterwards. Streit has probably signed his last contract in NA, Josi could be a nice trade-asset in a few years, he's not a franchise player but will be worth very much (if he stays healthy).

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Anyone have any info on Fabrice Hertzog? The Leafs drafted him in the 5th round this year and most of us had never heard of him. A Swiss Leafs fan gave a good write-up back on the Maple Leafs board, but I'm just looking for some more information/opinions on him.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Many answers ....

Weber ... not a habs anymore. i am sure he will find another team.

We forgot about Mayer, still a habs ...with good stats in AHL when he is in shape. will the nber 2 goalie position open with the habs one day or will he be a Bulldog for another couple of years ?
Hopefully the opportunity appears and hopefully he grabs it.

Brunner will have to go through the open market. I am convinced someone put an offer in his ear that is well above what Detroit is ready to pay.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Many answers ....

Weber ... not a habs anymore. i am sure he will find another team.

We forgot about Mayer, still a habs ...with good stats in AHL when he is in shape. will the nber 2 goalie position open with the habs one day or will he be a Bulldog for another couple of years ?
Hopefully the opportunity appears and hopefully he grabs it.

Brunner will have to go through the open market. I am convinced someone put an offer in his ear that is well above what Detroit is ready to pay.

AFAIK he'll play for Biel next season...

http://www.ehcb.ch/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1525&Itemid=&lang=de (german link)
http://www.ehcb.ch/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1525&Itemid=&lang=fr (french link)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No, Mayer first signed with Biel but afterwards he terminated his contract when he got to know that the Habs will offer him a new contract.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
And now ...

Yannick Weber at the Canucks ... great. really great.

The situation there is not much better than in Montreal, to be honest. The only guy I can see to be outplayed by Weber is Corrado. But he most likely won't get past Tanev and Garrison, let alone Bieksa, Edler or Hamhuis.

So, basically he's still stuck in the #6 / #7 spot. But perhaps the change of scenery allows further development.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The situation there is not much better than in Montreal, to be honest. The only guy I can see to be outplayed by Weber is Corrado. But he most likely won't get past Tanev and Garrison, let alone Bieksa, Edler or Hamhuis.

So, basically he's still stuck in the #6 / #7 spot. But perhaps the change of scenery allows further development.

I do not see like he arrives and ouplays all guys ! Definitely not. The guys you mention are successfull defenders that logged already years with the Canucks with great stats.

But a season is long, he could get PP time, 3rd line time. Injuries ... players to replace, time for exposure.

The point i specifically refer to is that whether he was playing well or not, he only was treated like the 7th wheel of a car AND had a 3 year contract.

Now he has a 1 year contract. So he has to work to get noticed !! And he has a new chance to get appreciated by a new management. New mates. New environment, new circumstances.
Leading to being accepted in a new organisation or getting an offer from another team. A 3 year 1.3 mio ... and more if he proves to be an added value on the PP.

Hop Weber!

ficohok*

As he got drafted, will Vermin stay in Bern for one more year or move to NA ?

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
As he got drafted, will Vermin stay in Bern for one more year or move to NA ?

Well the Lightning need to sign him first, as he's to old for the Canadian Junior League...

And they hold his rights for the next two seasons, which means he has to be signed until the summer of 2015... That gives him good time to develope in the Swiss League and hopefully he gets a lot of quality ice time and practices hard and bulks up...

Edit: I'm not even sure if he has an NA-out clause in his current Contract, which runs until 2015... As we've seen with Reto Suri, if he doesn't have an out clause, the Lightning are not able to sign him, since there is no transfer-agreement between the NHL and the NLA....

Edit2: Ah, found a link to a newspaper-report: http://marwin.com/assets/PDF/Media/472013BZDer-Wert-einer-Medaille-ist-vergnglich.pdf
Vermin has an out clause for summer 2014, which would be the earliest for him to sign an entry level contract...

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Well the Lightning need to sign him first, as he's to old for the Canadian Junior League...

And they hold his rights for the next two seasons, which means he has to be signed until the summer of 2015... That gives him good time to develope in the Swiss League and hopefully he gets a lot of quality ice time and practices hard and bulks up...

Edit: I'm not even sure if he has an NA-out clause in his current Contract, which runs until 2015... As we've seen with Reto Suri, if he doesn't have an out clause, the Lightning are not able to sign him, since there is no transfer-agreement between the NHL and the NLA....

Edit2: Ah, found a link to a newspaper-report: http://marwin.com/assets/PDF/Media/472013BZDer-Wert-einer-Medaille-ist-vergnglich.pdf
Vermin has an out clause for summer 2014, which would be the earliest for him to sign an entry level contract...

At the end, how widespread is the NA-out clause in the Swiss contracts ?
I was shocked when i learned about the Suri affair (NHL contract canceled)

tks

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
At the end, how widespread is the NA-out clause in the Swiss contracts ?
I was shocked when i learned about the Suri affair (NHL contract canceled)

tks

Well there are a lot unknowns and they're not common as we've seen with Suri...

But there are several Players who are looking for contracts with such clauses... F.e. Andres Ambühl only wanted to sign with a team that was giving him an NA-out clause, which Davos gave him... Reto Berra only signed one-year contracts with Biel, because he wanted a NA-out clause if he'd be going to sign a long-term contract...

There are also several players in the NLB, who have NLA-out clauses in their contracts... Or Mikko Lehtonen who just signed recently with the SC Bern a two-year contract, has a KHL-out clause in that deal...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad