Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Yesterday Adam Ginning could have been the first swede born this side of the millenium to play in SHL.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281968

Unfortunately his team play like crap and it wasnt the right game to make a debute and he was not given any ice time. Solid allround defender with some size. Has played forward so he has got some nice offensive instincts.

He will probably get som ice time today instead but a couple of ours ago he was beatan as the first player born 2000 to play in SHL by the super prospect Rasmus Dahlin.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=310545

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
A man for the World Juniors?

To be honest, I think he could, maybe, take a spot, if he is given the chance - he is that good. If he can do this well against men in SHL, some days he is one of the best players on the ice, then why shouldn't he be able to do the same against other junior players? Even if they are quite a lot older than he is.

The issue is that he will just have turned 17 years old when the World Juniors start, I don't know if they will give a player that young the chance. He isn't the type of player that you give a role on the 4th line, he should be a leading player if you want to get the most out of him, and Sweden have lots of good players for those roles, that are 3 to almost 4 years older than Isac is.

Next year I would assume that he got a good chance for the WJCs though, at least if he continues to play like this. But this year already? My guess is that they will pick other players ahead of him. We have some really good junior players that are quite a few years older than Isac is, so it wouldn't be strange if they are picked ahead of him.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Lundeström and Wernblom the top 2018 forward prospects at this point? Obviously too early too make firm judgements but Wernblom is the only U17 regular in Allsvenskan and Lundeström is the youngest regular in the SHL it appears.

Also - is Westerlund raising his stock to challenge as the top 2017 defender outside Liljegren? Youngest starting defender in the SHL - is he up there with Walfridsson and Brannstrom? Less stats but the other two are still in U20, although Brannstrom is killing is at over a PPG.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Lundeström and Wernblom the top 2018 forward prospects at this point? Obviously too early too make firm judgements but Wernblom is the only U17 regular in Allsvenskan and Lundeström is the youngest regular in the SHL it appears.

Also - is Westerlund raising his stock to challenge as the top 2017 defender outside Liljegren? Youngest starting defender in the SHL - is he up there with Walfridsson and Brannstrom? Less stats but the other two are still in U20, although Brannstrom is killing is at over a PPG.

There's no real super forward prospect for 2018 as I see it. Wernblom has excellent goal scoring instincts and great attitude but he looks really, really small out there. Lundeström is a great skater with excellent balance but lacks some hands and creativity and his finishing skills are almost non existent (even though he did score a nice goal yesterday).

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see players like Jacob Olofsson and Filip Hållander, both Timrå, emerge as the top forwards from Sweden for the 2018 draft. There are others as well.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

Westerlund is the real deal. Im a believer after todays game.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Westerlund is the real deal. Im a believer after todays game.

Interesting. I've watched him a couple of times in SuperElit and I didn't see anything special there. Seems to have good hockey IQ though. Maybe a guy that does better in a more organized SHL game than in juniors, but from my viewings I would hardly call him a top prospect. Didn't stand out whatsoever in SuperElit anyway.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Interesting. I've watched him a couple of times in SuperElit and I didn't see anything special there. Seems to have good hockey IQ though. Maybe a guy that does better in a more organized SHL game than in juniors, but from my viewings I would hardly call him a top prospect. Didn't stand out whatsoever in SuperElit anyway.

He got tons of ice time against Malmö and hard minutes at that. He must have played 2:30 mins in boxplay on that 5 min major alone. Good positioning, calm under pressure and a pretty good outlet pass. Saw him block a few shots as well. Only glaring mistake I saw him make was in his own end, wasn't under pressure, trying to find a guy in transition but dishes it to a Malmö forward. He redeemed himself pretty well right after.

EDIT: It's not like he wasn't tested either. Malmö put a lot of pressure on Frölundas D and finished their checks. Westerlund got his fair share but shook it off and seemed only to get better after each hit, battling hard along the boards.
I like this kid. A lot.

Last edited:

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
There's no real super forward prospect for 2018 as I see it. Wernblom has excellent goal scoring instincts and great attitude but he looks really, really small out there. Lundeström is a great skater with excellent balance but lacks some hands and creativity and his finishing skills are almost non existent (even though he did score a nice goal yesterday).

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see players like Jacob Olofsson and Filip Hållander, both Timrå, emerge as the top forwards from Sweden for the 2018 draft. There are others as well.

Lundeström lacks hands and creativity? Sorry, but this couldn't be more wrong. Lundeström is probably the most creative player on his team at the moment, I'd say he is one of the more creative and exciting players in the SHL so far this season, and his stick handling and passing is excellent for his age. At least from what he has shown us in SHL.

He also got 3 goals in 4 games in J20 SuperElit, as a 16 year old, so I wouldn't say that his "finishing skills are almost non existent". One of those goals was amazing, I should try to find the clip of it.

What he lacks is mainly size, which can be obvious at times, since he is playing against fullgrown men, and sometimes he makes too complicated plays with the puck. His defense isn't that great either, he can, sometimes, have issues with his positioning while defending.

I don't really know where you got your information? It seem to be completely off.

He also got a really nice assist in todays game, he pretty much did everything by himself to set up the goal. :)

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
2018 looks great. Dahlin, Wernblom, Bokvist and Lundeström looks real promising, but let's not get carried away like the finns and start calling them "90 points with selke defense" "Better than Sundin" etc. :sarcasm:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Lundeström lacks hands and creativity? Sorry, but this couldn't be more wrong. Lundeström is probably the most creative player on his team at the moment, I'd say he is one of the more creative and exciting players in the SHL so far this season, and his stick handling and passing is excellent for his age. At least from what he has shown us in SHL.

He also got 3 goals in 4 games in J20 SuperElit, as a 16 year old, so I wouldn't say that his "finishing skills are almost non existent". One of those goals was amazing, I should try to find the clip of it.

What he lacks is mainly size, which can be obvious at times, since he is playing against fullgrown men, and sometimes he makes too complicated plays with the puck. His defense isn't that great either, he can, sometimes, have issues with his positioning while defending.

I don't really know where you got your information? It seem to be completely off.

He also got a really nice assist in todays game, he pretty much did everything by himself to set up the goal. :)

Haven't seen Lundeström play in the SHL but he must have changed completely from when he played J20 and the Hlinka tournament then. The assist he had against Örebro is exactly what I'm talking about, either he just throws the puck infront of the net like he did there or he ends up in the corner where he loses it. A high end player like Kuznetsov, who also loves that play, knows who he's passing to.

I'm sure Lundeström stands out at times in the SHL and that's great for a player his age but the high end offense isn't quite there and perhaps that becomes more obvious when he's up against his peers.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
2018 looks great. Dahlin, Wernblom, Bokvist and Lundeström looks real promising, but let's not get carried away like the finns and start calling them "90 points with selke defense" "Better than Sundin" etc. :sarcasm:

Other then Dahlin, I would say 2017 looks a lot better at this point. I do not see any forwards at Elias Pettersson or Lias Andersson level. Dahlin is maybe the best among them all, but after that I think 2017 wins pretty easily at this point. I espically want forwards, since we already have plenty of young elite d-men.

Finns are not that bad, canadians stand in their own league when it comes to hyping players way above proportions.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Haven't seen Lundeström play in the SHL but he must have changed completely from when he played J20 and the Hlinka tournament then. The assist he had against Örebro is exactly what I'm talking about, either he just throws the puck infront of the net like he did there or he ends up in the corner where he loses it. A high end player like Kuznetsov, who also loves that play, knows who he's passing to.

I'm sure Lundeström stands out at times in the SHL and that's great for a player his age but the high end offense isn't quite there and perhaps that becomes more obvious when he's up against his peers.

The one that pick up the pass was maybe not the one he meant the pass for, but he didnt just throw it in there, he know what he did and it was very close that the one he meant the pass for did get it. It was a nice play.

We will see what happens. in superelit he was not dominant, but a lot of things can happen fast in this age. I havnt join the Lundeström hype train yet, but we will see how he progress.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010

It's quite obvious that it is a good play, and not him taking a big chance/just throwing the puck in there, take a look again. Look at Lundeströms head just before the pass, he is looking to see who he can pass the puck to, infront of the net. The pass is to Harju, who just touches the puck a bit but it slips off his stick before Mikkelson gets the puck and scores.

You also have to remember that the kid is only 16 years old, he is a late -99, he was the second youngest player to EVER play in the SHL/Elitserien (the youngest in the last +20 years) last year. He was one of only two forwards born -99 on the WJC-18 last year, and the other -99 (Rickard Hugg) is almost a year older than he is. He scored at a 0.5PPG rate in J20, as a 15 year old. And at a 1PPG rate as a 14 year old, against 18 year old players. I don't get how you can say that "his finishing skills are non existent" based on that.

I'm not saying that Lundeström is the next Peter Forsberg, like one of his coaches hinted, the only thing I'm saying that I don't understand how anyone who watches him play can't be impressed by him.

To be able to generate as much offense as he does in SHL, at his age, is surely extremely impressive, at least in my opinion. And he still got more than 1½ more seasons to improve before the draft. I'm sure he will be considered to be a top notch prospect by that time.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
It's quite obvious that it is a good play, and not him taking a big chance/just throwing the puck in there, take a look again. Look at Lundeströms head just before the pass, he is looking to see who he can pass the puck to, infront of the net. The pass is to Harju, who just touches the puck a bit but it slips off his stick before Mikkelson gets the puck and scores.

You also have to remember that the kid is only 16 years old, he is a late -99, he was the second youngest player to EVER play in the SHL/Elitserien (the youngest in the last +20 years) last year. He was one of only two forwards born -99 on the WJC-18 last year, and the other -99 (Rickard Hugg) is almost a year older than he is. He scored at a 0.5PPG rate in J20, as a 15 year old. And at a 1PPG rate as a 14 year old, against 18 year old players. I don't get how you can say that "his finishing skills are non existent" based on that.

I'm not saying that Lundeström is the next Peter Forsberg, like one of his coaches hinted, the only thing I'm saying that I don't understand how anyone who watches him play can't be impressed by him.

To be able to generate as much offense as he does in SHL, at his age, is surely extremely impressive, at least in my opinion. And he still got more than 1½ more seasons to improve before the draft. I'm sure he will be considered to be a top notch prospect by that time.

Compare to other top prospect his preformance at junior level is nothing to special. But sure shl is much more interesting if you manage to be a impact player there.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What's the word on Albin Grewe? 8 goals and 11 points in 5 games in TV-Pucken, already playing and producing well in J18 Elit with 12 points in 8 games. Good size at 6'0, 176 lbs. Could he be a top prospect for 2019?

Also interested in Noel Gunler, Oscar Bjerselius, Isac Andersson and and Lucas Raymond. Anyone seen them play?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Random question for you all who are able to watch Jr hockey in Sweden. Anyone seen Nikolaj Krag Christensen play? 2016 7th round pick by the Blues. Currently on the Rögle Bk j20 team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Random question for you all who are able to watch Jr hockey in Sweden. Anyone seen Nikolaj Krag Christensen play? 2016 7th round pick by the Blues. Currently on the Rögle Bk j20 team.

Yes, I've watched him a lot. I really don't think he is anything special as a prospect. He is getting 1st line minutes but hasn't produced much. I would say Rögle has 2 good players this year and Krag-Christensen is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad