J18
1. Djurgården
2. Brynäs
3. Rögle

J20
1. Linköping
2. Djurgården
3. Örebro
How come that clubs like Djurgaarden and AIK, with great u16-20 clubs and program, can't translate that to at least one team at SHL level?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kabetogama

Kabetogama

Jun 11, 2021
Djurgården has a great junior academy (gets most good Stockholm players), but AIK’s is not that good. AIK mostly gets second tier prospects.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
How come that clubs like Djurgaarden and AIK, with great u16-20 clubs and program, can't translate that to at least one team at SHL level?

Djurgården has a great junior academy (gets most good Stockholm players), but AIK’s is not that good. AIK mostly gets second tier prospects.

For AIK, them being a Stockholm team and having decent junior teams produces good prospects every once in a while, like Dvorsky now for instance, but it's not the steady influx of talent that some SHL teams get.

Djurgården get great propects in every age group but SHL is a very tough league and 18-20 year olds are very rarely impactful enough to change the fortunes of a season. I would say it's a good bonus in terms of a cheap player that can possibly return down the line, as well as the financial compensation that the clubs get is the main thing about having NHL prospects, not direct sporting impact.

Djurgården of course with lots of players wanting to play in Stockholm and a good prospect base to round out the roster should be an SHL team but the league is tight enough that if you are not running your signings/coaching well enough you will be in trouble, which is what happened to Djurgården a few times.

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Don't worry, Roger said Stenberg will be the SHL junior of the year.
This didn't age too well... Regarding Stenberg, do you think he hasn't recieved the opportunity in the SHL or that he hasn't taken his opportunity? (extra forward or 4th-line mainly due to other players missing)

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
This didn't age too well... Regarding Stenberg, do you think he hasn't recieved the opportunity in the SHL or that he hasn't taken his opportunity? (extra forward or 4th-line mainly due to other players missing)
Roger gonna Roger. Him saying Stenberg was just dumb because we all know Roger and his answer needed a follow question regarding if he would ever give Stenberg an honest shot at, well, anything. With that said idk if Stenberg has been very deserving to be Frölunda's primary callup from J20 the first half of the season, he has been turning it around as of late, however, which is great.

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Roger gonna Roger. Him saying Stenberg was just dumb because we all know Roger and his answer needed a follow question regarding if he would ever give Stenberg an honest shot at, well, anything. With that said idk if Stenberg has been very deserving to be Frölunda's primary callup from J20 the first half of the season, he has been turning it around as of late, however, which is great.
Do you think he's still regarded as a first-rounder?

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Posting some thoughts on U16 playoffs as it stands. Judging the teams on max capacity, it will be a really interesting to se the ending. Djurgården knocked out. Not a big fan of the format honestly, rather they split the group differently so we get more inter-regional play. Favour Täby and Modo from group E. Modo has been dominating against worse competition this year, but the team is really stacked offensively. Gästrin wasn't as good as one could have hoped for, but not bad. Hugo Hallin is fun.
Täby just seems to be that Stockholm team this year, going to be a bunch of players from that team that end up in varius j18regional teams next year. Standout is obviously Melvin Novotny, who is one of the top player in the country who I currently have in the range that is very hard to rank. But a player to look out for.

Group F could be a bloodbath. Brynäs was unbeaten in groups, but they sure were never really safe. The Frölunda game could have gone wrong(still don't know how they managed to not capitalize on some of those chances, and HV71 very well could have won the tense battle for 1st place which meant...... nothing at all. So a rematch could go either way. I really like HV71s top end talent with Theo Sonestedt, Karl Annborn and Noel Skarby as well, but think the team felt a bit thin and fragile at time. Some plays felt a bit hail mary. Brynäs is more solid for the most part, even though they don't necessarily have any of the absolute best 07s in the country, the team is really solid. If it were'nt for the pathetic regional stuff they could absolutely have made a region team with the players that didn't fit or get a role on Brynäs that would have been easily better than Arboga and Karlskoga, and probably on par with Mora as well. That's also why I think Brynäs has been so strong this year. But I want to shoutout Gustav Hillström, who goes very unnoticed when discussing swedish 07s right now, mostly because of non-dominant j18 numbers, not getting a chance on Sweden yet, and... not having a father who is famous in the region. But he is the best player on the team, consistenly makes small good plays, adapts well to two types of teammates who are very different in playstyle (Leo Sundqvist and/or the Östberg twins) and generally plays a consistent game with good gamesense. Has gotten way better as the season progressed as well, and I would honestly like to see him get a chance at the next 4 nations, even though he doesn't have same offensive motor of the current 6-7 best forwards in the country.

Like Växjös team too. I have personally been very doubtful of Laksonen long term, but there is not denying that he is a bit of a man amongst children right now in the u16. But the team has depth, and I think they showed in the last group. Will be interesting to see how they do against a team like Brynäs. Since it just a game against each team, its so hard to have a good guess. The only chance I feel relatively safe with is that Malmö is the worst team out of the 4, but watch them win the group now. I'll say Brynäs and Växjö advances if I'm put at gun point, but HV71 might be the most fun and chaotic to watch.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
I dont get why round of 16 and the quarterfinals are only BO3. Should atleast be B05, more tough playoffs games = good development for prospects.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I dont get why round of 16 and the quarterfinals are only BO3. Should atleast be B05, more tough playoffs games = good development for prospects.
Just adding two games would mean an overlap with the U18s some years, something beyond that would need to be done.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
It's also a matter of school schedule and stuff like that. Johan Hemlin talked about this in Hockeypuls extra podcast the other day:

tpahe

Apr 14, 2022
Final four U16, J18, J20 starts tomorrow. Any predictions on final standings and possible upsets?

U16- Could Täby upset all bigger clubs and take the gold? Or is Brynäs and Växjö too strong?

J18- AIK could be a real upset here. However, Djurgården is a huge favorite.

J20- Djurgården is on track to win it all. Leksand might be the team which can surprise.

Anyway, great games to follow this weekend!

Thoughts?

Reactions: Tunadal HC

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Final four U16, J18, J20 starts tomorrow. Any predictions on final standings and possible upsets?

U16- Could Täby upset all bigger clubs and take the gold? Or is Brynäs and Växjö too strong?

J18- AIK could be a real upset here. However, Djurgården is a huge favorite.

J20- Djurgården is on track to win it all. Leksand might be the team which can surprise.

Anyway, great games to follow this weekend!

Thoughts?
Wouldn't surprise if Örebro could take on Djurgården in the J18 final, they were my pick pre-playoffs.

Think Rögle also could beat them in j20. If Djurgården were not playing allsvenskan playoffs obviously the big boys would roll, but probably still favourites.

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
My predicted top scorers for every J20 Nationell team:

I will be far from right, but it's just a fun thing to do.

aikDaniel Kim
almtunaFilip Ekberg
brynäsAnton Ohlsson
djurgårdenLinus Eriksson
frölundaNoah Dower Nilsson
färjestadElliot Ståhlberg
HV71Herman Träff
oskarshamnLiam Svensson
leksandZaki Crookes
linköpingAlexander Dahlgren
luleåIsac Hedqvist
malmöFilip Sitar
modoLucas Pettersson
moraNoah Steen
rögleFelix Nilsson
skellefteåOskar Vuollet
södertäljeEgor Polin
timråMax Sjöholm
västeråsHugo Lejon
växjöJoel Svensson
örebroTim Almgren

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
J18 point leader predictions:

aikLinus Rudslätt Debou
almtunaFelix Wassberg
brynäsGustav Hillström
djurgårdenAnton Frondell
frölundaMax Westergård
färjestadSvante Uusitalo
HV71Noel Skarby
oskarshamnKarlis Flugins
leksandMelvin Novotny
linköpingEddie Genborg
luleåTim Tuzin
malmöAdrien Bartovic
modoAlex Zalesak
moraMarkus Kristians Sieradzkis
rögleDustin Willhöft
skellefteåViktor Klingsell
södertäljeNils Håkansson
timråEdwin Annerstedt
västeråsAlvin Wengrud
växjöAlbin Laksonen
örebroEric Nilson

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
HockeySverige has a newly started (first episode was last week) podcast that focuses on Swedish junior hockey. I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes, and so I’d recommend you all to check it out. It’s called “Framtidens stjärnor-podcast”

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Scay injury in the Leksand-Timrå game, a leksand player crashed the net and and hit the head in the goal post.

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
J18 derby Luleå - Skellefteå today

Seems like it’ll be a decent showing looking at the lineups. Luleå bring down Sörqvist, Ihs Wozniak, Holst Persson, Sjöström and (sort of) Håkansson as well, from their regular place in J20. Whereas Skellefteå bring down Zetterlund who’s struggled in J20 so far.

Should be a pretty good game, if anyone’s looking to watch some hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad