Swedish Captains.

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Riddarn, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

It's been announced that Sundin gets the C and Näslund & Lidström gets the A's.

Not totally unexpected.

2. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

Agreed.

In fact, I would make Lidstrom the C since he won 3 Stanley Cups...

Never a Red Wing fan, but always liked Lidstrom...

3. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

Sundin wears the C for Sweden because the other players feel he's the most inspirational player on the team, from what I understand. He's always willing to step up and play for Sweden whenever called upon. Lidstrom is sort of funny, in that for a guy who was rumoured to want to go back to Sweden, his principal loyalty seems to be to the Detroit Red Wings first and foremost (one of the many reasons he rules). In Sweden Lidstrom often gets criticized for not playing in tournaments like the world championships if he's eligible. He did play this year, but historically hasn't been interested.

Sweden certainly has no shortage of guys with leadership ability.

4. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

I'm pretty sure most players in the swedish team looks up to Sundin, Lidström and Näslund too. Those players aren't exactly nobodys. Even if Forsberg is a better point-per-game player than Sundin, that doesn't make him a great captain. As far as I know, he's never been captain in the national team or the NHL or the SEL. Maybe he was at junior level, I don't know. Maybe there's a reason.

Edit: I had thought, maybe the coaching staff wants Forsberg to concentrate on the game 100% and lets others wear the C and A's to take pressure off him. :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  5. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

he'd still be behind 1. foote and 2. blake in my oppinion. although he's arguably the most productive player in the league when healthy, he's never struck me as captain material personally. not that it's a knock on him, but he's always seemed to be a little bit of a loner (for lack of a better term). just shows up, quietly takes care of business, goes home

*before everyone goes and loses their mind over this, let me point out that i'm not saying he's not a great player, and i'm not saying he's not passionate*

6. mole

mole Registered User

Home Page:
    Forsberg is in my opinion a) way too introvert and b) way too prone to 'unwise' decisions to be a captain. Giving the letters to others is definitely better.

7. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

I doubt he is behind Blake, who is a mercenary and hasn't been a member of the team for anywhere near as long. Foote is probably next behind Sakic, although it's doubtful he will ever wear the C since I wouldn't be surprised if he retired before Sakic does.

Lidstrom is a near-lock to succeed Yzerman in Detroit in a year or two, unless he retires as well.

8. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

introvert...there's the word i was looking for

9. bling

bling Registered User

Foppa is not one to want the C. He has too much of a temper and too short a fuse to be effective. He knows this as does his team mates. He is fine as an Alternate because there are clearer heads to calm him.

I say this as a huge Forsberg fan, it is not a knock on him in any way. Some players just have the Captain temperment, Peter is not one of them. He will be the first to admit this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.