Sweden vs USA: Who Will Medal?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I have a bad feeling about this one for the U.S. This is the type of game where they're coming off such an emotional loss, and now they have to play for bronze. Potential for a huge letdown. There are several guys left over from last year's U.S. team who remember the disappointment of losing the bronze medal game. But it's still not a good situation for the Americans entering the bronze medal game.

A bronze medal would be a pretty big deal for the Swedes. It would be their first medal since 1996. The bronze at the 2005 WU18 was a pretty big deal, too. And they have home ice advantage.

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
The US has a tendancy to mail it in for these games so i say Sweden 4-1 on home ice.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sweden also has a huge emotional loss behind them. Both teams may have motivation problems. Not a big difference there. Personally I don't care much.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Sweden also has a huge emotional loss behind them. Both teams may have motivation problems. Not a big difference there. Personally I don't care much.

Oh, i agree there.

I hope Sweden wins it, but i really could care less for the bronze game.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
If USA has similar lack of interest in the bronze medal game that they displayed last year, Sweden shouldn't have too much problems.

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
USA is usually a competitor for the gold meanwhile Sweden usually end up quite low so I belive a medal would be very appriciated. Hope now we can start to develop more players that mature earlier, Swedes are usually later bloomers.

Bryzga lol*

Seeing Sweden win a bronze infront of their fans would be nice

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
USA probably has the edge in talent, but hard to rule out the emotion
for the Swedes with the first chance to medal on home ice in 2 decades. Of course,if they'd managed to beat Russia yesterday, they would have definatly medaled, so maybe thats a moot point?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
USA is usually a competitor for the gold meanwhile Sweden usually end up quite low so I belive a medal would be very appriciated. Hope now we can start to develop more players that mature earlier, Swedes are usually later bloomers.

Well, lets not talk about the past. let's talk about the future.

In the future Sweden will be a constant competitor, both on a senior and junior level, let's hope so.

Not to forget we are the current world and olympic champions.

We have finally started to play more physical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I have waited since I was born). A very important key to success. We have always been skilled but we have simply played to soft.

In Sweden it has been considered bad... unfair... dirty... whatever... to be a tough physical player for years. Weird but true. This is finally starting to change. Finally our Viking heritage is showing on the ice ;-) hehe

Look at guys like Hjalmarsson, Matty Norstrom, Forsberg, Oduya and Nik Kronwall.

Also we have more coaches now who likes a physical play "Canadian style". Coach Bendelin is one example. Former Djurgarden coach Wikegard another.

We are GOOD and we have to believe in ourselves. Our lack of self confidence sometimes make me sick.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My hope is it will be a tightly contested game, and if the US plays anything like they did against Canada they'll take it 3-2.

That said, they might phone it in, if that happens, Sweden 4-1

Here's hoping for a classic.

phoow

Dec 6, 2006
I'm hoping we can take the bronze because that would be a steady step forward for our junior program.
Coach Bendelin has given us a good chance to compete at junior level again and i am already looking forward to the tournament next year with excitement. :clap:

I too have been longing for physical play and Hjalmarsson was a positive surprise for me :yo:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My expectation is the U.S. mails this one in, but I HOPE the players and Ron Rolston has enough pride to play their best and bring home the bronze. If Zatkoff gets the start and vanRiemsdyk plays a ton of minutes I'll have my answer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My expectation is the U.S. mails this one in, but I HOPE the players and Ron Rolston has enough pride to play their best and bring home the bronze. If Zatkoff gets the start and vanRiemsdyk plays a ton of minutes I'll have my answer.

You want them to win right, only Frazee has done that in this tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You want them to win right, only Frazee has done that in this tournament.

My point is, if Zatkoff gets the start than Rolston and the U.S. coaching staff are mailing it in. It would be like 2003 when the U.S. lost a nailbiter to Canada in the semis despite a phenomenal performance from Bobby Goepfert and started Jimmy Howard in the bronze medal game, where the U.S. phoned it in against the Finns.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My point is, if Zatkoff gets the start than Rolston and the U.S. coaching staff are mailing it in. It would be like 2003 when the U.S. lost a nailbiter to Canada in the semis despite a phenomenal performance from Bobby Goepfert and started Jimmy Howard in the bronze medal game, where the U.S. phoned it in against the Finns.

Ok, sorry, I thought you meant something else. I agree with you, that would mean they are phoning it in.

I really hope they don't, because this could be a very good game, two physical teams with skill. This one could go back and forth

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Didn't these US kids show you enough yesterday? They won't mail it in, they aren't there just to get a good skate in. The biggest thing is the US beat them in their own barn once already, twice is tough to do.

US will win a tight one.

However, "If you're not first, your last!"

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
The US kicks a last second field goal to win it 20-18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad