Svechnikov's Strange Callup

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I’ll make a conspiracy up out of nowhere.

Lil Svech has made it no secret he’d love to play with his brother. Perhaps they’re making a case that that place could be the red wings next year. Kind of like how Kuznetzov (sp?) wouldn’t play for anyone but Washington.

Again. Completely out of my ass on this one

Well that's fun.
But if the Wings draft Svech, he wouldn't have much say in it.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Always we hear ”call up the kids, what do we have to lose, how bad can they be, let’s see what we have”. Now there needs to be some special reason?

Way I see it is they wanted a look at him to see if he could be an NHLer from day 1 next season. He’s had a rough season and bringing him up is a way to see if he’s got what it takes at all. With essentially the season lost already it doesn’t hurt. It’s a ”luxury” of being bad. I don’t think we have any other forwards that deserve a call-up except maybe Turgeon who we know exactly what he is.

There obviously is a reason the Wings strayed from the path. And your reasoning could be it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
answer on this question will have at draft . Andrei wonts to play with his brother , but were ,could be NHL , could be KHL . It passible we will loose 2 first rounders if we draft Andrei . Let just trust Holland with his judgment.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Personally I'm hoping it's a change in development philosophy. No more "overripening" no more "ties to the vets." Just give a kid a shot here and there. If they can't hack it send em back down. If they can, whatever. Svech doesn't look awful out there. He's got a few points.

Just my opinion but I'm not sure the management team is capable of changing their own philosophy. Year after year their actions have proven how little hope they have a prospect can fit in, then we're stunned the young guys are more effective than plugs like Helm and Abdelkader.

Maybe after a 2nd year in the bottom 10 we accept we're not competitive, and push toward allowing prospects to develop in the NHL earlier. Even if they're not as ready as another team's standard, give them a full season to grow. To their credit Holland did do this with Jurco and Pulkks.

I think the Wings should be flexible and tailor their program depending on the player. In Svechnikov's case, from everything I've read about his play in GR, he really isn't any better or worse in the NHL. So why not get him acclimated sooner? I've never agreed with this idea,"oh he's a skilled guy... it's either 2nd line or they're not coming up." I like Svech on the 4th line. Let him build his chops and gather experience in a limited role, like Kapanen in Toronto.

Again, the org. has to start admitting we aren't competing for shit. Take these rebuilding years as an opportunity to strip out the overpaid vets and develop our prospects.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
^^^ Holy hyperbole.

I think the callup was perfect for his confidence entering the Calder Cup playoffs.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There was a rumor awhile back that the Wings were looking to start next season with Rasmussen and Svech in Detroit. Calling Svech up and giving him playing time to see if he could hack it, regardless of how well his season has went in GR, goes along with that scenario. I'd bet that's why Hicketts is getting a bunch of time with Detroit, too. He's the guy the Wings are looking at making the jump next year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There was a rumor awhile back that the Wings were looking to start next season with Rasmussen and Svech in Detroit. Calling Svech up and giving him playing time to see if he could hack it, regardless of how well his season has went in GR, goes along with that scenario. I'd bet that's why Hicketts is getting a bunch of time with Detroit, too. He's the guy the Wings are looking at making the jump next year.

Also, Libor Sulak joined the organization and was sent to Grand Rapids, so Hicketts could go to another direction.

Player-for-player moves where guys are already preparing for their next-season duties.

It's funny, I've nothing but liked Hicketts on his games in NHL. And I didn't believe him at all as an NHLr for a while ago. :)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Also, Libor Sulak joined the organization and was sent to Grand Rapids, so Hicketts could go to another direction.

Player-for-player moves where guys are already preparing for their next-season duties.

It's funny, I've nothing but liked Hicketts on his games in NHL. And I didn't believe him at all as an NHLr for a while ago. :)

yeah, I've never been a fan of Hicketts. I'm still not, really, but he's out played the other guys he's really competing with.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
answer on this question will have at draft . Andrei wonts to play with his brother , but were ,could be NHL , could be KHL . It passible we will loose 2 first rounders if we draft Andrei . Let just trust Holland with his judgment.

Andrei has lived in NA for several years and learned English due to intending to play in the NHL for years. There’s no indication or evidence to my knoweledge that he’d be a flight risk other than he’s Russian.

If the Wings draft him and we’re still horrible he could bolt, but so could any player, like our good Canadian boy Athanasiou

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
yeah, I've never been a fan of Hicketts. I'm still not, really, but he's out played the other guys he's really competing with.
He has NHL skill. It’s just a question how much he will be a liability defensively. I think he could be an awesome depth D on a team where he can get sheltered ES minutes.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He may just be rhe type of player who learns better against top tier players

He wasn' or isnt in grand rapids to physically mature which in all honesty is 50% of the reason kids are sent there. He was always nhl ready in that regards.

Perhaps they feel he can' or won' or isnt learning anything more down there. Bring him up.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
ive been real encouraged with Svechnikov's play recently. He needs to start getting some shots on net, though. He looked like he had pretty good chemistry with Larkin.

He's not fast and that's going to be his biggest challenge. He's got a real strong body though and he looks like he'll be great at cycling the puck and playing along the boards.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Well that's fun.
But if the Wings draft Svech, he wouldn't have much say in it.
I think he's saying that little Svech could tell teams looking to draft him that he only wants to play with his brother. A team could use their 2nd overall on him and not get anything out of it if he just refuses to come to the NHL. Obviously that could make some teams shy away and go after someone else with their pick, or they might call on the Wings and offer something for big Svech to entice little Svech.

This has happened before. Sedins saying they won't play unless together.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think he's saying that little Svech could tell teams looking to draft him that he only wants to play with his brother. A team could use their 2nd overall on him and not get anything out of it if he just refuses to come to the NHL. Obviously that could make some teams shy away and go after someone else with their pick, or they might call on the Wings and offer something for big Svech to entice little Svech.

Also Jagr story was confirmed a while go. He wanted to go play only with Lemieux or never crosses the pond. This scared all the teams before Pittsburgh away from him.

It was those days when the Iron Curtain really was a threat.

https://www.google.fi/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/how-jaromir-jagr-may-have-manipulated-the-1990-nhl-draft-in-his-favor-090116?amp=true

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Also Jagr story was confirmed a while go. He wanted to go play only with Lemieux or never crosses the pond. This scared all the teams before Pittsburgh away from him.

It was those days when the Iron Curtain really was a threat.

https://www.google.fi/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/how-jaromir-jagr-may-have-manipulated-the-1990-nhl-draft-in-his-favor-090116?amp=true
Yeah and I can't find Kuzy saying it but that's what the other guy implied.

I think if that's true, and certainly there've been rumors that he wants to play with his brother pretty badly, that can only help us. Either we can draft him from wherever because no one else will take a chance, or someone has to give us something good for his brother. Depending on how much stock you put into that rumor, I think treating big Svech well could go a long way. Maybe just a few minutes more TOI and some PP time, Blash. :naughty::naughty:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If he was in Russia and saying he would only cross the pond to play with his brother, that's one thing.

But I don't think it will be much of a factor in this case. Plenty of brothers have gotten drafted and not made claims like this.

Reactions: TheMule93

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This came on my mind a while ago...

If we are not gonna get Andrei Svechnikov, how about trading Evgeny to a team which will select him?

Like, if NY Islanders win the 2nd overall, and they also have another top15 pick at this draft, should we just try a hockey trade?

Another team could see this as an incentive.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's probably a combination of a lot of things touched on in this thread so far.

-Being a first round pick and his better play as the season went on
-They only had two call ups to use post deadline and they already had a look this season at another likely future NHL forward in Turgeon
-Svechnikov was pretty much the Red Wings best winger prospect at the pro level once Bertuzzi got called up for good
-There's been rumbling that they intend to either have him on the roster next season, or at least give him a legitimate shot to claim a spot. Might as well let him get a look at what's expected, so he can work on it in the playoffs in GR and in the offseason before coming to camp

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This came on my mind a while ago...

If we are not gonna get Andrei Svechnikov, how about trading Evgeny to a team which will select him?

Like, if NY Islanders win the 2nd overall, and they also have another top15 pick at this draft, should we just try a hockey trade?

Another team could see this as an incentive.

Do you think our Svech is worth a top 15 pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad