Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Dach, it's a great forward core?

Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Dach, it's a great forward core?

• It's a great forward core.

Votes: 34 5.2%
  • It's a good forward core.

Votes: 229 35.3%
  • It's a OK forward core.

Votes: 316 48.7%
  • It's a bad forward core.

Votes: 55 8.5%
  • It's the worst forward core in the league.

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Suzuki have potential to become a PPG two-way C.
Caufield have potential to become a 35-40g, 35-40a guy.
Slafkovsky have potential and tools to become a 30-35g, 30-35a (he is a great playmaker too), physical guy.
Dach have potential to become a 20g, 40a guy. (top 6 C, 60 points per season).

Do you think that's a great forward core?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Never been a fan of Dach. I also wonder why he was even traded. A top 3 pick from a few years ago should be something you rebuild around.

Caufield is okay. Very over rated.

Slafkovsky is a big question mark.

Suzuki is the best of the bunch, but I'm still not sure he's a guy you want centering your top line.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Never been a fan of Dach. I also wonder why he was even traded. A top 3 pick from a few years ago should be something you rebuild around.

Caufield is okay. Very over rated.

Slafkovsky is a big question mark.

Suzuki is the best of the bunch, but I'm still not sure he's a guy you want centering your top line.

Kid just scored 23 + 20 in his rookie season but he is "okay" and "very over rated" lol

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I voted ok core but I really see it as below average. No true franchise player but some good pieces with Suzuki as a very good second line center but missing the top center. Not sure any option fits that.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah. Have you seen the hype that comes out of Montreal after a very mediocre season?
I agree, the season was more than just mediocre, it was the worst in history I believe. But to score 23+20 as a rookie on that team is just "okay" I guess right?

I don't really get the point you're trying to make, that just makes Caufield's season sound even more impressive to me

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Cole Caufield isn't overrated. This guy looks like a elite goalscorer and have amazing passing ability. Isn't just a goalscorer.

The comparison with DeBrincat make so much sense, but I think Caufield is more spectacular than DeBrincat, just my opinion. But this guy is a going to be a 1st line, 35g per season is easily projectable for him (40g, he have elite shot).

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I agree, the season was more than just mediocre, it was the worst in history I believe. But to score 23+20 as a rookie on that team is just "okay" I guess right?

I don't really get the point you're trying to make, that just makes Caufield's season sound even more impressive to me
I guess it depends which Caufield shows up. The first half of the season he was just flat out bad. He only came on the second half. That's not a good season.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
If someone is pinning his hopes on Slafkovsky turning into a first line forward, to be paired with an average but diminutive first line center and an undersized, unproven, but highly dynamic winger with an exceptional shot, he is going to be terribly disappointed.

At best, that's going to be a one-dimensional - but what a dimension! - goal-scoring winger, an average first liner, and a second line 15-20 goal player. Better than some teams, but quite poor.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention Dach because he's not part of anyone's core, but a third line winger who is wildly deficient in multiple areas.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I guess it depends which Caufield shows up. The first half of the season he was just flat out bad. He only came on the second half. That's not a good season.

Let me help you out here...

First half of the season was brutal for everyone stats wise...then some kind of a change occurred, want to guess what that change was?

Reactions: HabsQC and SlafySZN

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Suzuki has played 209 regular season NHL games now, he never paced above 0.74, which is good but PPG two-way C is far from guaranteed IMO.

Cole Caufield isn't overrated. This guy looks like a elite goalscorer and have amazing passing ability. Isn't just a goalscorer.

The comparison with DeBrincat make so much sense, but I think Caufield is more spectacular than DeBrincat, just my opinion. But this guy is a going to be a 1st line, 35g per season is easily projectable for him (40g, he have elite shot).

You told me Caufield had 50 goals & 50 assists potential per season before. What made you lower your expectations that much?

Reactions: Voight

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If this is the forward core of your team and it's competing against cores like Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander which can't even make it out of first round, this quite clearly is a Bad core, max OK.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I voted "OK".

The problem is everything is about projection and potential with these four. If we're talking about *right now*, then it's essentially a 2nd line and a 3rd/4th liner. Because compared to the top teams in the conference, Slaf/Suzuki/Caufield would be a 2nd line, not the top line. And Dach would be bouncing between 3rd or 4th line on most playoff teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad