TV: Survivor: General Discussion

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
"Candice...? From Raro Tribe????" one of my favorite Probst moments of all time lol. Billy was a casting director's dream, surely they knew this dude was a loon and made for some great TV.

I love all of the players you listed from Cook Islands

I hated Candice for 90% of the show, but then when she started dissenting at the end it was absolutely hilarious. She was fun to hate. And her dynamic with Adam was cute, even if they were bad at the game.

She led the mutineer that created the Aitu 4, what would the season have been without her! Queen!

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I hated Candice for 90% of the show, but then when she started dissenting at the end it was absolutely hilarious. She was fun to hate. And her dynamic with Adam was cute, even if they were bad at the game.

She led the mutineer that created the Aitu 4, what would the season have been without her! Queen!
Yes, very fun player to watch. No wonder Billy fell in love with her at first sight lol.

• Haha
Reactions: cheechoo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

HvV spoiler

How she was a hero in Hero in Heroes vs Villains will forever confuse me, tons of rumors on how it happened but still hilarious. Crazy thing is, she was the first choice over Parv for Micronesia

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
"Candice...? From Raro Tribe????" one of my favorite Probst moments of all time lol. Billy was a casting director's dream, surely they knew this dude was a loon and made for some great TV.

I love all of the players you listed from Cook Islands
Cao Boi not being on Gamechangers will forever piss me off, since he was more of a gamechanger than almost all of the cast. Cao Boi and Tyrone from Nicaragua will probably always be my favorite pre-merge boots who never returned.

How the plan on how to combat an idol, which along with the safe vote invented in Fiji by Stacy have forever altered gameplay and how to play around idols is iconic.

Last edited:

cheechoo

Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
HvV spoiler

How she was a hero in Hero in Heroes vs Villains will forever confuse me, tons of rumors on how it happened but still hilarious. Crazy thing is, she was the first choice over Parv for Micronesia

It's silly in hindsight but in real time on Cook Islands I felt like Candice was a bigger personality than Parvati was. Candice was really good at stirring the pot and mixing things around when she felt at risk. She tried to turn Jonathan on Yul and she played up her dumb blonde stereotype when she was pretty nasty. She was also sent to Exile Island like 5x.

Parv really grew into Survivor as a repeat player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's silly in hindsight but in real time on Cook Islands I felt like Candice was a bigger personality than Parvati was. Candice was really good at stirring the pot and mixing things around when she felt at risk. She tried to turn Jonathan on Yul and she played up her dumb blonde stereotype when she was pretty nasty. She was also sent to Exile Island like 5x.

Parv really grew into Survivor as a repeat player.
Oh, it makes sense in hindsight. Apparently Courtney Yates was also preferred over Amanda Kimmel for Micronesia. I will say, I a saw your list of Cook Island's players, Cao Boi has to be on any list about that season. Truly one of the most iconic and impactful pre-merge players of all time. Billy is also legendary

Also, the fact Cook Islands didn't get Survivor cancelled still amazes me to this day. Apparently there was a point they considered cancelling the mid-filming, not airing it, and have everyone sign a strict NDA.

cheechoo

Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Cao Boi not being on Gamechangers will forever piss me off, since he was more of a gamechanger than almost all of the class. Cao Boi and Tyrone from Nicaragua will probably always be my favorite pre-merge boots who never returned.

How the plan on how to combat an idol, which along with the safe vote invented in Fiji by Stacy have forever altered gameplay and how to play around idols is iconic.

Cao Boi was badass. Legit S tier character. Hilarious personality and Plan Voodoo was ingenious, he just erroneously guessed on who had it. He was telling Yul his plan while Yul had the idol tucked in his back pocket.
Also the idol was beyond OP in Cook Islands, the fact that you didn't have to ever reveal it until after the votes were revealed pretty much carried Yul to the end. Especially after he revealed it in the auction and Raro were scared to lay a vote on him after that and get ricocheted.

cheechoo

Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Oh, it makes sense in hindsight. Apparently Courtney Yates was also preferred over Amanda Kimmel for Micronesia. I will say, I a saw your list of Cook Island's players, Cao Boi has to be on any list about that season. Truly one of the most iconic and impactful pre-merge players of all time. Billy is also legendary

Also, the fact Cook Islands didn't get Survivor cancelled still amazes me to this day. Apparently there was a point they considered cancelling the mid-filming, not airing it, and have everyone sign a strict NDA.

Wait why, fill me in.

I could have seen the production team debate not going through with Fiji especially with how brutal that FTC was. Rough watching Lisi and Boo take turns demean and patronize Dreamz / Cassandra and Earl.

And the scene in earlier in the season with the coffee maker too...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wait why, fill me in.

I could have seen the production team debate not going through with Fiji especially with how brutal that FTC was. Rough watching Lisi and Boo take turns demean and patronize Dreamz / Cassandra and Earl.

The way Cook Islands was set-up to be divided by race and the mutiny, created a situation where the all white tribe almost ran through the game. This was back when people's pre-swap tribes tended to stay tight until the very end. To this day, many people still believe there were two different bottles at the final tribal immunity challenge, one that said their would be no vote or something, and the other a double vote off for the tribe that lost.

To your second comment, the idol was op'd because the version in Guatamala was so underpowered (had to reveal it before the votes, so it basically became an immunity necklace), so by Fiji they settled to this one. We've only seen the God idol (the Panama and Cook Islands idol) return twice since, once in Cagayan and then a variation in Koah Rong where it took two idols found on separate beaches

Wait why, fill me in.

Also this

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Second Chance? You lucky SOB. Easily one of the best seasons ever
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Unfortunately I know who wins the season already, but that's alright.

Really fun season. I love all-returner seasons, it adds such a deep element to the game when all of the contestants know each other, know their style, and their "lore" for lack of a better term.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah Cambodia is easily a top 10, could argue top 5 season.

Sucks we missed out on seeing Shane Powers again though.
Cambodia is probably top 5 for me. I made a top 10 list on paper somewhere and dammit I can't find it.

And ya know it's funny. I never really got the Shane hype. I mean yes he was entertaining. But it was like watching a car wreck and pile up and you just hope the people are okay. I found him to be insufferable, petty and annoying. I don't know how many times I can watch a grown man fall to his knees (on the verge of tears) begging to be taken on every reward and throw a royal bitch fit when he isn't chosen. It reminds me of something a teenager with very serious emotional problems does

People really REALLY wanted him back but I have about as much affection for his return as someone like Judd from Guatemala

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah Cambodia is easily a top 10, could argue top 5 season.

Sucks we missed out on seeing Shane Powers again though.
Cambodia is a top 5 season for me, and Jeremy played one of the greatest games every played. Jeremy is easily in my top 10 players/characters of all time with people like Sandra, Tyson and Tony. A lot of great characters aren't great players, and a lot of great players aren't great characters. Very few are both.

And agreed, we were robbed of Shane interacting with Abi-Maria.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Cambodia is a top 5 season for me, and Jeremy played one of the greatest games every played. Jeremy is easily in my top 10 players/characters of all time with people like Sandra, Tyson and Tony. A lot of great characters aren't great players, and a lot of great players aren't great characters. Very few are both.

And agreed, we were robbed of Shane interacting with Abi-Maria.
Agreed on Jeremy. He doesn't get the credit he deserves imo. And I concede. Shane with Abi would have been hilarious. He'd go to her shitty apartment and kill her too.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Found my top 10. Discussing without spoilers

No order

David vs Goliath
Millennial vs Gen X
Second Chance
Cagayan
Phillipines
Survivor 44
Pearl Islands
Vanuatu
Australian Outback
Gabon

Just missed it: Cook Islands, Kaoh Rong, Palau

Controversial opinions:

The winner of Vanuatu overcame more odds than I think any winner in the history of the show and I to this day cannot believe it happened. You could've given me 10 guesses and I never would have picked them. Just a master class of both keeping your alliances in line and creating distraction and chaos to escape the guillotine. It was like watching someone crash a party and walk out. The guests know who did it and watched the whole thing. So they go ahead and erupt in a fight amongst each other and nothing is done about the party crasher who just sits at the bar laughing. And they did it without any hidden immunity idols.

The unmitigated chaos of Gabon is too delicious for me to pass up. The inmates ran the asylum and I am here for it.

Cook Islands very narrowly missed because it's not that I disliked the winner. It's more that their path was bulletproof in many, many ways.

Kaoh Rong narrowly missed because I think there were better winners to be had. And if you need a definition of "fragile masculinity" just look for a picture of the Brawn tribe

Palau just had too much Pagonging to be the great season it could have been. I never would have guessed it would have one of the worst tribes in history. Maybe our loveable loser (you know who she is) really is the common demoninator because her tribes always sucked

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Also I am opening the floor

Create your own Survivor season. You have full control to do whatever you want. How many days? What is your advantage menu? Twists? Theme/location? How many players? etc. This is gonna be Hella fun and I think you guys will like what I have cooked up

That's gonna take an hour to type so I'll do it later. It might tomorrow or even another day.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Found my top 10. Discussing without spoilers

No order

David vs Goliath
Millennial vs Gen X
Second Chance
Cagayan
Phillipines
Survivor 44
Pearl Islands
Vanuatu
Australian Outback
Gabon

Just missed it: Cook Islands, Kaoh Rong, Palau

Controversial opinions:

The winner of Vanuatu overcame more odds than I think any winner in the history of the show and I to this day cannot believe it happened. You could've given me 10 guesses and I never would have picked them. Just a master class of both keeping your alliances in line and creating distraction and chaos to escape the guillotine. It was like watching someone crash a party and walk out. The guests know who did it and watched the whole thing. So they go ahead and erupt in a fight amongst each other and nothing is done about the party crasher who just sits at the bar laughing. And they did it without any hidden immunity idols.

The unmitigated chaos of Gabon is too delicious for me to pass up. The inmates ran the asylum and I am here for it.

Cook Islands very narrowly missed because it's not that I disliked the winner. It's more that their path was bulletproof in many, many ways.

Kaoh Rong narrowly missed because I think there were better winners to be had. And if you need a definition of "fragile masculinity" just look for a picture of the Brawn tribe

Palau just had too much Pagonging to be the great season it could have been. I never would have guessed it would have one of the worst tribes in history. Maybe our loveable loser (you know who she is) really is the common demoninator because her tribes always sucked

If I had to pick a top 10, off the top of my head and in no particular order

Cambodia
David vs Goliath
Palau
Tocantins
Heroes vs Villains
Cagayan
China
Panama
Philippines
Pearl Islands

Descriptions with some spoilers, but I'll spoiler tag it incase anyone is worried about something minor. I don't outright spoil any winners, but some info may lead you to know which alliances come out on top.

I'm partial to seasons post-immunity idol, with Palau and PI being the only season that doesn't have it. Way too many pagoning where the game is dictated at the merge vote, with the exceptions being Vanuatu, Amazon, and Marquasas. I would say Vanuatu is one of the most underrated seasons, and has one of the most underrated winners. Truly one of the greatest underdog games ever played alongside the Foa Foa 4, Jalapao 3, the Tika 3 and the Matsing 2.

Tocantins: is on my list because they truly have some of the best characters in the history of the show. Tyson and Coach is my favorite duo in the history of the show. Fishbach and JT are also an iconic duo. Probably my favorite cast of all time, alongside Pearl Islands, China and Cagayan (SJDS also has an amazing cast, but only Keith and Natalie are great on that season, Jeremy and Wentworth established their reputations on return).

China: has Courtney and James, who are both iconic. Courtney is one of the few people I saw I could watch play every season (RIP Keith Nale, Sandra, Tony, Tyson, Coach, and Courtney would be that list).

Cambodia:, a lot of great characters return. Great theme, and I believe it probably has the most people legitimately playing to win out of any season. No one is there to sit back. Jeremy, Keith, Savage, Wentworth, Abi, etc. Tons of interesting people.

Cagayan: absolutely amazing cast. Tony is the best combo of player and personality in the show alongside Sandra. The Brains tribe being so dysfunctional is hilarious. Legitimately like 5 or 6 really interesting players, and two all time greats first season (even if she is very boring, a truly dominant player).

David vs Goliath: Best non-returnee season since Tocantins or China arguably. Legitimately 6 people or so you could tell me is your favorite player that season and I would understand (Nick, Mike, Angelina, Davie, Christian and Carl). My personal favorite was Davie Rickenbacker.

Palau: I agree with your points but the decimation of Ulong is priceless, and a truly iconic winner and one of the most interesting moves in the history of the show at final 3. RIP Jenn Lyon, always loved how positive she was and bounced back from being blindsided, gone way too soon.

Pearl Island: Absolutely amazing cast, even if Rupert ranks with Ozzy as the 4 time players I don't really like. Sandra, Fairplay, Burton and Savage are all great characters. Sandra is my favorite female player of all time, and this season is a large reason why.

Philippines: Amazing underdog journey, and some great characters in Malcolm, Abi and Penner. Abi hitting Skupin in the head with a coconut will forever be one of my favorite moments.

Heroes vs Villains: Truly the best cast the show has ever had. Has multiple of my favorite players of all time. Villains tribe has like 4 of my favorite players alone (Tyson, Courtney, Sandra and Coach).

Panama: The Casaya tribe is one of the best mess tribes of all time, and Terry Dietz's immunity run is iconic. Cirie's first season, and in my opinion my favorite version of her, even if you can argue she was more dominant in Micronesia.

Favorite New Era season is actually 43, as I think it has the most dynamic gameplay and is one of the more fluid season voting wise since Cambodia. Just missed this list would be SJDS, Blood vs Water, and Micronesia. My least favorite season will always be Edge of Extinction.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Also I am opening the floor

Create your own Survivor season. You have full control to do whatever you want. How many days? What is your advantage menu? Twists? Theme/location? How many players? etc. This is gonna be Hella fun and I think you guys will like what I have cooked up

That's gonna take an hour to type so I'll do it later. It might tomorrow or even another day.

39 days
20 players
2 tribes of 10
Swap after 5th vote.
Merge at 10 (everyone who makes merge makes jury, all pre-merge do not)
Final 3
Indifferent for how final 4 is settled, vote or fire is fine. I guess I'll go Vote since a lot of this season is returning to the style of the late teens of the show.
No theme
All new players (since I'm too lazy to type out my ideal returnee list)
Only 3 idols, 2 pre-merge idols (one on each beach) and one merge idol, no beware advantage attached.
No other advantages
Colombia for location (only reason I want a location is so cool rewards return, outside of that I'm indifferent)
Survivor Auction happens

That's about it. Now, if we really want to get crazy, for a theme, I'd do Survivor vs Big Brother vs The Challenge. Must haves for The Challenge are CT and Wes, the must haves for BB are Dan, Janelle, and Derrick L.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If I had to pick a top 10, off the top of my head and in no particular order

Cambodia
David vs Goliath
Palau
Tocantins
Heroes vs Villains
Cagayan
China
Panama
Philippines
Pearl Islands

Descriptions with some spoilers, but I'll spoiler tag it incase anyone is worried about something minor. I don't outright spoil any winners, but some info may lead you to know which alliances come out on top.

I'm partial to seasons post-immunity idol, with Palau and PI being the only season that doesn't have it. Way too many pagoning where the game is dictated at the merge vote, with the exceptions being Vanuatu, Amazon, and Marquasas. I would say Vanuatu is one of the most underrated seasons, and has one of the most underrated winners. Truly one of the greatest underdog games ever played alongside the Foa Foa 4, Jalapao 3, the Tika 3 and the Matsing 2.

Tocantins: is on my list because they truly have some of the best characters in the history of the show. Tyson and Coach is my favorite duo in the history of the show. Fishbach and JT are also an iconic duo. Probably my favorite cast of all time, alongside Pearl Islands, China and Cagayan (SJDS also has an amazing cast, but only Keith and Natalie are great on that season, Jeremy and Wentworth established their reputations on return).

China: has Courtney and James, who are both iconic. Courtney is one of the few people I saw I could watch play every season (RIP Keith Nale, Sandra, Tony, Tyson, Coach, and Courtney would be that list).

Cambodia:, a lot of great characters return. Great theme, and I believe it probably has the most people legitimately playing to win out of any season. No one is there to sit back. Jeremy, Keith, Savage, Wentworth, Abi, etc. Tons of interesting people.

Cagayan: absolutely amazing cast. Tony is the best combo of player and personality in the show alongside Sandra. The Brains tribe being so dysfunctional is hilarious. Legitimately like 5 or 6 really interesting players, and two all time greats first season (even if she is very boring, a truly dominant player).

David vs Goliath: Best non-returnee season since Tocantins or China arguably. Legitimately 6 people or so you could tell me is your favorite player that season and I would understand (Nick, Mike, Angelina, Davie, Christian and Carl). My personal favorite was Davie Rickenbacker.

Palau: I agree with your points but the decimation of Ulong is priceless, and a truly iconic winner and one of the most interesting moves in the history of the show at final 3. RIP Jenn Lyon, always loved how positive she was and bounced back from being blindsided, gone way too soon.

Pearl Island: Absolutely amazing cast, even if Rupert ranks with Ozzy as the 4 time players I don't really like. Sandra, Fairplay, Burton and Savage are all great characters. Sandra is my favorite female player of all time, and this season is a large reason why.

Philippines: Amazing underdog journey, and some great characters in Malcolm, Abi and Penner. Abi hitting Skupin in the head with a coconut will forever be one of my favorite moments.

Heroes vs Villains: Truly the best cast the show has ever had. Has multiple of my favorite players of all time. Villains tribe has like 4 of my favorite players alone (Tyson, Courtney, Sandra and Coach).

Panama: The Casaya tribe is one of the best mess tribes of all time, and Terry Dietz's immunity run is iconic. Cirie's first season, and in my opinion my favorite version of her, even if you can argue she was more dominant in Micronesia.

Favorite New Era season is actually 43, as I think it has the most dynamic gameplay and is one of the more fluid season voting wise since Cambodia. Just missed this list would be SJDS, Blood vs Water, and Micronesia. My least favorite season will always be Edge of Extinction.
Wish Taj woulda returned at some point. She was great. Also, my underrated great player/character from david vs goliath is Natalie. She was on a RHAP survivor podcast once and shes an interesting listen/person.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wish Taj woulda returned at some point. She was great. Also, my underrated great player/character from david vs goliath is Natalie. She was on a RHAP survivor podcast once and shes an interesting listen/person.
Yeah, I debated putting her on that list, but didn't. One of the most memorable pre-mergers of all time. The whole jacket situation was priceless.

As for Taj, I'm 99.9% sure they changed the family visit situation in that season because no chance they were not getting Eddie George on that show. If anyone else won that auction, the choice would have just been exile alone.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
On the subject of David vs Goliath, John Morrison was a grand freaking slam casting. I was skeptical after seeing Ashley in China but he really did a nice job out there. I would have been happy to see him come back

Oh yeah and Christian is an all timer. That dude beats up Cochran and takes his lunch money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad