Surprise, surprise...Madden quotes "out of context".

Status
Not open for further replies.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
darkboy said:
The owners are not getting flack because they want to make a profit. Everyone would acknowledge that something has to change. They are getting flack because they decided that shutting down the league was the way to get what they want. Make no mistake about it, the owners would not accept the possibility of avoiding this lockout. The players aren't innocent, but the shutdown is on the owners.

neither side is innocent, whether it was the owners choice for a shutdown or not, both stubborn sides were miles away from the middleground where true negotiating could start

YellHockey*

DementedReality said:
its my opinion (if you dont mind) that the players have a lot more class than the owners, however the owners have a mountain more PR savvy and thats why sheep like you are easily deflected from the real issues.

Not just class but integrity and honesty as well.

The NHL is the only league in North America where the owners are more likely to be sent to prison then the players.

As well, how many players have been accused of lying about their business practices? There are numerous owners who have been under investigation by the SEC for their companies outside of hockey.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
garry1221 said:
neither side is innocent, whether it was the owners choice for a shutdown or not, both stubborn sides were miles away from the middleground where true negotiating could start

I agree, that's why people who are mad about the lockdown shouldn't be taking sides. I was responding to someone siding with the owners and explaining their culpability in this. Ultimately if you look straight at what happened, the lockout was the decision of the owners. The players should have made a good, workable proposal when they had a chance, and they should absolutely be criticized for not doing it. But even though the owners didn't like their proposal that was no reason for them to simply call off the talks several days before the deadline. It just shows what their frame of mind was... they were going to get a deal done under the duress of a lockout. It was already decided. Everything else, the fans, health of the sport, the economy of the arena districts be damned.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
DementedReality said:
::yawn::

two cliche's in your post

1) gee, my screen name is such because it gives people with no point to make something they can use to look "smart"

2) the players have given back a few hundred million dollars and have publically acknowledged a need to change the system. lying doesnt make your point any stronger.

its my opinion (if you dont mind) that the players have a lot more class than the owners, however the owners have a mountain more PR savvy and thats why sheep like you are easily deflected from the real issues.

the owners are using you. hope you dont mind.

dr

They're BOTH using you and if either had any class we'd be watching NHL rather than OSHL. If you think a few hundred million is the big issue you've been led astray. The NHL WILL have a cap...the longer the lockout goes the better chance of a hard cap. the game needs it and the players know it, they're hanging onto hope because they've got Goodenow, but I think they realize exactly what the owners are losing. Although I don't agree that any owner should have a guarantee on their investment I feel the owners have lost and players have gained immensely over the past decade and it has to be brought under control so our kids can enjoy the NHL...THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS TO SHIFT...please don't think I sympathize with the owners, I hate Bettman and Goodenow equally. I just understand that they need help from themselves so that we as fans, don't have to pay again....and Bill Daly and Gary Bettman don't win any PR battles where I'm from. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad