Surprise players to make the next best on best tournaments

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Every year the mock teams people make seem to be more like all star teams composed of the players with the most points. In reality that is not the way the best teams are constructed. There are always players that surprise like Shane Doan, Kunitz, Hamhuis that make the best teams in the world.

Who are some of the less heralded players that will make Sweden, Canada, USA or Russia?

For me, I think Noah Hanifin will surprise a lot of people and play a big role for team USA

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Russia will not make the next best-on-best tournaments.

I hope they make it, we've missed a lot of great hockey especially at the junior level because of this. 2016 was not the World Cup tournament we needed because of the gimmick teams so it has really been a long time since a top of the line tournament that had all the best teams at their best. You can't keep a top 3 team out and have a tournament in my opinion.

As for the answer to the question, I think many think Byfield will make Team Canada as it is based on projection, so I am going to surprise people and say Lafreniere.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I hope they make it, we've missed a lot of great hockey especially at the junior level because of this. 2016 was not the World Cup tournament we needed because of the gimmick teams so it has really been a long time since a top of the line tournament that had all the best teams at their best. You can't keep a top 3 team out and have a tournament in my opinion.
Russia isnt really clear top 3 team Sweden has better roster on paper overall and Finland usually performs better and has almost even roster so its fair to say top 5 team.. top 2 CAN USA is clear.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As for the answer to the question, I think many think Byfield will make Team Canada as it is based on projection, so I am going to surprise people and say Lafreniere.
LAF would be a big (pleasant) surprise - he has 2 goals and 1 assist tonight so... you never know.

I am going to say Seth Jarvis or Wyatt Johnson.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale and HFpapi

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Hyman likely wouldn't sniff the Canadian roster before this year, but I think he has a chance now to make it
maybe, Nugent-Hopkins likely would have too based off last seasons numbers but would he right now?
likely same for Hyman.
good on Hyman it's impressive as hell to put in 50. but I kinda just throw him with Cheechoo till he does it away from McDavid.

I really believe that if you take Hyman and put him on almost any other team, he would likely put up numbers closer to what he did in Toronto.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
maybe, Nugent-Hopkins likely would have too based off last seasons numbers but would he right now?
likely same for Hyman.
good on Hyman it's impressive as hell to put in 50. but I kinda just throw him with Cheechoo till he does it away from McDavid.

I really believe that if you take Hyman and put him on almost any other team, he would likely put up numbers closer to what he did in Toronto.
Absolutely, but the thing with Hyman is he has a bit of a scoring touch and plays in the area that most star players refuse to play in. If he can even remotely replicate what he has done this year he would be a good addition to a best on best simply as the guy who will play in that gritty net front area

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
likely same for Hyman.

I feel fairly confident that McDavid will make team Canada as well so what does this really matter?

He brings a unique skill set and built in chemistry. Long as he can produce the 2nd most goals in the league riding shotgun with our best player he's useful. We also need grit.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Marchessault and Byram.

Marchessault should get a look for our next best-on-best team and he is someone that is rarely talked about in that context. Natural winger, great goal scorer, can play off of elite centres, and has the Conn Smythe proving his ability to raise his game in the playoffs.

If Byram can put his injury issues behind him and settle back in to a top-3 role with Buffalo, I think he has a shot. He needed a change of scenery away from Colorado. If he can return to the form he demonstrated in the 2022 playoffs (and there is no reason he can't), I like him for a roster spot. Maybe he's a depth piece, but I would still like him. Needs to prove it for another season before I pencil him in though.

The thing with Hyman is he can contribute on any of the 4 forward lines, on either wing. That in itself is pretty valuable.

I think Byfield will make the next best-on-best team, but by that point it won't be a surprise to anyone. Johnston, Lafreniere, and Jarvis are all good picks also.

Reactions: lakai17

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Suzuki is being left off a ton of teams. I think he gets selected as the 4th line centre. Has the ability to move up the lineup if necessary, and the intelligence to shift to the wing.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
There will be some unpleasant "surprises " for the U.S. team I'm sure. Seth Jones for instance.
I think that’s a thing of the past, a guy like that would make it on pedigree to fill some spots, but the US is deeper than it ever has been at each position.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Absolutely, but the thing with Hyman is he has a bit of a scoring touch and plays in the area that most star players refuse to play in. If he can even remotely replicate what he has done this year he would be a good addition to a best on best simply as the guy who will play in that gritty net front area
As long as you guys dont ask for Nurse to be on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad