Superleague Part III: Collapsed

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Changes to FFP, spend ratio (wages, transfer fees amortisation etc. versus revenues) going from 90% to 70 % within a 3-year period.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Rich clubs will obviously like this:

"Crucially, the plans, that are being put together by Uefa and the influential ECA also double the permitted losses over a three-year period from €30m (£24.98m) to €60m (£49.96m), providing they are covered by cash injections."

Uefa proposes new spending rules

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

This is contemptible. We knew it was coming, but the same greed that drove the Superleague is driving this, and I'm sure by some clubs that refused to join the ESL.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just checked my memories, happy one year anniversary!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

New plans to relaunch the European Super League within three years have been revealed because of fears that English clubs have become too dominant.

A new dossier outlining a revived competition has warned that the Premier League is leaving its continental rivals behind.

The presentation, which has been seen by The Times, has been sent to clubs and says that England’s top flight “is outgunning all continental leagues” and that the Champions League “is increasingly dominated by English clubs” who are “backed by hedge funds, public investment funds, sheikhs, oligarchs”.

The company behind the failed launch of the European Super League (ESL) in April 2021 has appointed a new chief executive, Bernd Reichart, who claims it is expected to be re-launched.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It would work certainly better if relegation was a thing rather than eternal spot booked into that league.
That was a MAJOR problem.
Let merit earn that spot and suddenly, this seems plausible.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
English fans are still a major hurdle. They're not going to support it so then what? Do it without them and get a lot less money?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
English fans are still a major hurdle. They're not going to support it so then what? Do it without them and get a lot less money?

Though the english language is the main reason that the EPL is as popular as it is, that's not because of english EPL fans. Would non-english EPL fans care the same way that the local ones do about the SL?

Like is a casual American or Chinese fan who got into the EPL because it had the highest-paid players & the most hype, going to complain if "their team" is suddenly playing against Barca, Bayern, & PSG instead of Everton, Aston Villa, and West Ham?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Though the english language is the main reason that the EPL is as popular as it is, that's not because of english EPL fans. Would non-english EPL fans care the same way that the local ones do about the SL?

Like is a casual American or Chinese fan who got into the EPL because it had the highest-paid players & the most hype, going to complain if "their team" is suddenly playing against Barca, Bayern, & PSG instead of Everton, Aston Villa, and West Ham?

I don't care how vapid someone can be, SL games would lose their luster so goddamn fast. I really don't think it would end up being popular and it never won't alienate the vast majority of fans. I really wonder what kind of data the people behind this have.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't care how vapid someone can be, SL games would lose their luster so goddamn fast. I really don't think it would end up being popular and it never won't alienate the vast majority of fans. I really wonder what kind of data the people behind this have.

I would hope so, but I'm not as sure. I've gone to a bunch of different "soccer bars" around the US and you generally run into two sorts of people:
- hardcore fans...more often than not fellow foreigners, or americans who either had immigrant parents or who spent time living overseas
- and the casuals who picked an EPL club once soccer became hipster-cool because english makes it the easiest league for them to follow & that's where most of the big names were/are.

If most of the big names were suddenly in the SL instead of EPL, I'm not so sure that that second group...which has been a big part of the EPL's growth over the past decade & a half...would lose interest any more than they already do when their club isn't playing one of the other big teams :dunno:

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think the only way the super league could realistically work would be as a replacement for the champions league. Replacing the domestic play of English teams isn't something English fans are going to accept and the UK government *absolutely* would weird their power to screw with the English SL teams teams ability to host European SL teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the only way the super league could realistically work would be as a replacement for the champions league. Replacing the domestic play of English teams isn't something English fans are going to accept and the UK government *absolutely* would weird their power to screw with the English SL teams teams ability to host European SL teams.

English fans wouldn't accept it, but when it comes to foreign fans...who have driven the EPL's growth over the past two decades much more than the english fans have...I'm not so sure.

Though you're right that the UK goverment wouldn't make it feasible for the EPL's giants to leave the EPL & CL for a new SL.

I'm just playing out the hypothetical; what if City, LFC, Chelsea, etc. no longer played any EPL or CL matches and only played in a SL that featured all of the biggest foreign clubs like 1.FCU, FCB, & FCB?

...and I dunno that it would hurt the EPL with foreign fans.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Parroting the “foreigners driving EPL growth” thing over and over doesn’t make the English fan base any less critical as it relates to these clubs. This was true the last time we did this when within 48 hours you had supporters marching on Stamford Bridge, and it’ll be true moving forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Parroting the “foreigners driving EPL growth” thing over and over doesn’t make the English fan base any less critical as it relates to these clubs. This was true the last time we did this when within 48 hours you had supporters marching on Stamford Bridge, and it’ll be true moving forward.

I take this to mean that your answer to my question is 'yes, most foreign fans wouldn't care.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad