Confirmed with Link: Sunny is back!

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
They probably need to pay him more, but if he plays well I don't doubt we see a 2 year contract at 1.5M AAV signed before the end of this coming season.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Here's an unpopular take: Sundqvist is going to look like toast and will be a shell of the guy we want him to be. Armstrong limiting it to a 1y deal is going to look smarter before the season is over. (And if he doesn't, what's wrong with re-signing him. I see zero advantage to a hypothetical 4 year deal as someone suggested. If he wants to be here, just sign him again in the offseason.)

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
maybe you are happy with 1 yr deals for people who want to be here and love the team and city but next summer we will now have to do this all over again because army is a cheap skate. moves like this lead to people who want to be here like maroon leaving. locking up sunny to a 3-4yr deal at 1mill a season does not hurt the team in the near or long term and shows that you care about team chemistry on a long term basis.

he should have signed him to a 3-4yr deal at min salary but with full NTC as you gotta give to get which is what i have said all along

Krug wants to be here and you bitch about him all the time. Seems like all you want is an excuse to bitch about Armstrong.

Reactions: joe galiba

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
"Army is an idiot for not signing Sunny"

Army signs Sunny

2e79a2a7-8f9c-4d22-8f0c-dc3c975894a2_text.gif

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Here's an unpopular take: Sundqvist is going to look like toast and will be a shell of the guy we want him to be. Armstrong limiting it to a 1y deal is going to look smarter before the season is over. (And if he doesn't, what's wrong with re-signing him. I see zero advantage to a hypothetical 4 year deal as someone suggested. If he wants to be here, just sign him again in the offseason.)

Totally agree. The truth isn't always popular but it's still the truth. Pretty much every ex Blue speaks highly of Armstrong, even guys who could easily be bitter like Sunny, Perron and Berglund, so I'm guessing Army treats his players fairly. I think most players understand the business while many fans don't.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't think he'll look like toast, but I agree that he won't look like the guy we remember. He had a 2 year stretch where he played at a 16 goal and 34 point pace while being deployed almost purely in a shutdown role. He was fantastic at stripping pucks off guys, played a strong cycle game and was genuinely effective anywhere on the bottom 2 lines.

I think he's still a useful bottom 6 player that isn't completely washed, but I don't think he is the guy I described above anymore. There was a time where I was full comfortable with him starting the year as a 3rd line player and sliding into 2nd line duty in a pinch. Now I'm comfortable with him starting the year as a 4th line player and sliding into 3rd line duty in a pinch.

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
What kind of injuries has he gone through then? I know I can do a search on it, but for the matter of discussion. It will be vital info regarding him being toast or not. As I recall he is only 29...

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What kind of injuries has he gone through then? I know I can do a search on it, but for the matter of discussion. It will be vital info regarding him being toast or not. As I recall he is only 29...
Well he had 3 separate surgeries (all at the same time) in 2021 that put him out of comission for half a year. One was for a torn ACL, but then they also operated on both of the hips at the same time. I've never seen an exact injury or description of the hip stuff, but it was done to address something that had been nagging at him for a long time.

Hip surgeries are just about the hardest thing to recovery from in the NHL and knees aren't smooth sailing either.

Reactions: JoernAZ

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think he'll look like toast, but I agree that he won't look like the guy we remember. He had a 2 year stretch where he played at a 16 goal and 34 point pace while being deployed almost purely in a shutdown role. He was fantastic at stripping pucks off guys, played a strong cycle game and was genuinely effective anywhere on the bottom 2 lines.

I think he's still a useful bottom 6 player that isn't completely washed, but I don't think he is the guy I described above anymore. There was a time where I was full comfortable with him starting the year as a 3rd line player and sliding into 2nd line duty in a pinch. Now I'm comfortable with him starting the year as a 4th line player and sliding into 3rd line duty in a pinch.
I’m embellishing my take a little bit, and I think he’ll have an effective role on the 4th line, but I also think he’s not going to be as good as many expect or remember. I won’t be shocked if he plays out this year and quietly shuffles off in the offseason.

Having said that, I am glad he’s on the team and love him for his part in Blues history. I think signing him for 4 years would have been idiotic.

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
I’m embellishing my take a little bit, and I think he’ll have an effective role on the 4th line, but I also think he’s not going to be as good as many expect or remember. I won’t be shocked if he plays out this year and quietly shuffles off in the offseason.

Having said that, I am glad he’s on the team and love him for his part in Blues history. I think signing him for 4 years would have been idiotic.
& you would be correct sir. I can't see any fool suggesting that.

• Haha
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

he'll join city's management squad next season

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
One-year deals are great for the team. Keep guys hungry. 4th-line, league-min guys can be found 8 days a week. Why commit to a broken-down donkey when you can run that packmule into the ground each year and replace him with a fresh body the next?

Were you a buffalo hunter in a prior life?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Been good?
I’d say “been fine.” He still works hard and does a good job on the PK, but he’s still noticeably slower and less impactful than he was in the glory days. I’d say he’s typically a net positive.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
He's been good and a big part of our PK. He is also good for our team culture and what we want it to be moving forward. He deserves an extension.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah he’s just a solid, effective player. On pace for 30+ points, kills penalties, just does whatever you ask of him.

He’s one of those guys that I don’t care what advanced stats say or anything like that. When you watch the games, he finds ways to contribute. Whether it’s blocking a big shot at the end of the game to preserve a win or something like that, he does something to help you out in key moments. If my team is killing a penalty, I feel more comfortable when Oskar Sundqvist is on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad