Boston Globe Sunday Hockey Notes Feb. 5

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Maybe not this summer. Maybe not the next. At some point, however, the Bruins will have to replace Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. To do that, while staying in win-now mode, will be one of the heaviest lifts possible for an NHL general manager.

If Don Sweeney’s recent transaction history is any indication, his next franchise pillar could arrive via a trade and be handed a contract extension.

While every GM in the league wants to build via the draft-and-develop method, no one is pulling off the trade-and-extend move like Sweeney. In the last two years, he added prime-aged Taylor Hall, Hampus Lindholm, and most recently Pavel Zacha to supplement the veteran core of Bergeron, Krejci, and Brad Marchand.

Three core pieces signed through at least 2025, when Hall’s deal expires. Zacha (2027) and Lindholm (2030) are in Boston longer.

If the Bruins re-sign David Pastrnak — no minor piece of business, that — and restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman, that group and Charlie McAvoy (2030), plus netminder Linus Ullmark (2025), is a playoff-competitive group. If Bergeron and/or Krejci has another year or two left, so much the better.

Adding another center via trade-and-extend would be ideal. Think: Dylan Larkin.

The Red Wings captain and Michigan native, who turns 27 in July, is on an expiring $5.25 million deal. One of the league’s fastest skaters — as a rookie in 2016, he set the All-Star Weekend record for quickest lap (13.172 seconds) — Larkin is a threat to hit 30 goals for the third time in his eight-year career (15-28–43 through 47 games).

Is Larkin the No. 1 center on a championship contender? With the right players around him, quite possibly. Look at Lindholm, whose stock dipped in Anaheim as the Ducks flew south into lottery land. He went from overtaxed player on a struggling team, to co-lead dog with McAvoy. Not surprisingly, that has worked out well for the Bruins.

Asked if he can see himself as part of the Red Wings’ future, Larkin said he could.

But he made it clear that he wants to win.

“As the captain of the team,” he said, choosing his words carefully, “I don’t really take that role lightly. I take great pride in how I carry myself. There’s been some very difficult days . . . difficult seasons. In those days, there’s times where I haven’t really . . . I feel like maybe I haven’t been able to play on a good team, which would also help me, you know, playing with other great players.

“I’ve said it all along and I stand by it: I see myself as a Red Wing.”

Maybe Sweeney could interest Red Wings boss Steve Yzerman in the kind of deal he made for Lindholm: Sweeney got the player at 50 percent of his salary-cap hit (half of approximately $5.2 million), plus a prospect (Kodie Curran), in exchange for a first-round pick, two second-round picks, a prospect (defenseman Urho Vaakanainen), and the contract of John Moore.

With some minor juggling, the Bruins could add Larkin’s cap hit for the remainder of this season. To fit him on the roster going forward, salary would need to move.

The Bruins have six forwards on one-way deals (Marchand, Hall, Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Jake DeBrusk, and A.J. Greer) committed next season. Their defense corps is set, with only Connor Clifton’s $1 million expiring. Ullmark and Swayman have been the league’s best goalie tandem.

“It’s a tough situation for management to gauge how much of the future you want to sacrifice to win now, but obviously it’s exciting with the group we have,” Marchand said during the Bruins’ recent stop in Toronto. “I would assume, just with the way we’re playing, they’re going to try to do something. But it all depends on the ask, what teams want and what we’re willing to give up. That’s not my job, luckily, because it’s tough.

“You see it every year. Teams that make big trades, it doesn’t necessarily help them come playoff time. And some teams that make moves, it does. So, we’ll see how it plays out.”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Maybe not this summer. Maybe not the next. At some point, however, the Bruins will have to replace Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. To do that, while staying in win-now mode, will be one of the heaviest lifts possible for an NHL general manager.

If Don Sweeney’s recent transaction history is any indication, his next franchise pillar could arrive via a trade and be handed a contract extension.

While every GM in the league wants to build via the draft-and-develop method, no one is pulling off the trade-and-extend move like Sweeney. In the last two years, he added prime-aged Taylor Hall, Hampus Lindholm, and most recently Pavel Zacha to supplement the veteran core of Bergeron, Krejci, and Brad Marchand.

Three core pieces signed through at least 2025, when Hall’s deal expires. Zacha (2027) and Lindholm (2030) are in Boston longer.

If the Bruins re-sign David Pastrnak — no minor piece of business, that — and restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman, that group and Charlie McAvoy (2030), plus netminder Linus Ullmark (2025), is a playoff-competitive group. If Bergeron and/or Krejci has another year or two left, so much the better.

Adding another center via trade-and-extend would be ideal. Think: Dylan Larkin.

The Red Wings captain and Michigan native, who turns 27 in July, is on an expiring $5.25 million deal. One of the league’s fastest skaters — as a rookie in 2016, he set the All-Star Weekend record for quickest lap (13.172 seconds) — Larkin is a threat to hit 30 goals for the third time in his eight-year career (15-28–43 through 47 games).

Is Larkin the No. 1 center on a championship contender? With the right players around him, quite possibly. Look at Lindholm, whose stock dipped in Anaheim as the Ducks flew south into lottery land. He went from overtaxed player on a struggling team, to co-lead dog with McAvoy. Not surprisingly, that has worked out well for the Bruins.

Asked if he can see himself as part of the Red Wings’ future, Larkin said he could.

But he made it clear that he wants to win.

“As the captain of the team,” he said, choosing his words carefully, “I don’t really take that role lightly. I take great pride in how I carry myself. There’s been some very difficult days . . . difficult seasons. In those days, there’s times where I haven’t really . . . I feel like maybe I haven’t been able to play on a good team, which would also help me, you know, playing with other great players.

“I’ve said it all along and I stand by it: I see myself as a Red Wing.”

Maybe Sweeney could interest Red Wings boss Steve Yzerman in the kind of deal he made for Lindholm: Sweeney got the player at 50 percent of his salary-cap hit (half of approximately $5.2 million), plus a prospect (Kodie Curran), in exchange for a first-round pick, two second-round picks, a prospect (defenseman Urho Vaakanainen), and the contract of John Moore.

With some minor juggling, the Bruins could add Larkin’s cap hit for the remainder of this season. To fit him on the roster going forward, salary would need to move.

The Bruins have six forwards on one-way deals (Marchand, Hall, Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Jake DeBrusk, and A.J. Greer) committed next season. Their defense corps is set, with only Connor Clifton’s $1 million expiring. Ullmark and Swayman have been the league’s best goalie tandem.

“It’s a tough situation for management to gauge how much of the future you want to sacrifice to win now, but obviously it’s exciting with the group we have,” Marchand said during the Bruins’ recent stop in Toronto. “I would assume, just with the way we’re playing, they’re going to try to do something. But it all depends on the ask, what teams want and what we’re willing to give up. That’s not my job, luckily, because it’s tough.

“You see it every year. Teams that make big trades, it doesn’t necessarily help them come playoff time. And some teams that make moves, it does. So, we’ll see how it plays out.”
One of Eichel, Hertl, or Horvat will be here as next center

Horvat gotta think gets a massive overpayment from islanders - but he gets to FA this will be interesting

Hertl - if Meier is traded then Hertl won’t be happy. Pastrnak and Zacha seem logical linemates here

Eichel - most obvious. He’s healthy he’s here just when ?

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

That right there tells me that management has already had discussions with the leadership group.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

That right there tells me that management has already had discussions with the leadership group.
I think the leadership group manages the team better than management does lol

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
We have to admit that despite the riches of this season, it compounds what was already a very difficult challenge for ol’ Donny

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

Horvat gotta think gets a massive overpayment from islanders - but he gets to FA this will be interesting

Hertl - if Meier is traded then Hertl won’t be happy. Pastrnak and Zacha seem logical linemates here

Would you want any of those players over Larkin going forward?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Eichel is not worth 10 million in my mind and has 2 more years I think .Bruins will take that on mainly because of dire need if he lands in Boston.Hertl is best friends with Pasta so I hope it's him coming rather then Pasta going. Horvat hits free agency he will be a Bruin..

Reactions: bbfan419

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad