Boston Globe Sunday Globe - street hockey

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
ahh…..
the nostalgia of my youth in 60s and 70s…..
”car!”

If history is any indication, these record-smashing Bruins are putting kids on the streets.
They’ll pretend they are David Pastrnak, ripping one-timers into the net and waving to an imaginary crowd. They’ll dangle through defenders, tongue wagging, like Brad Marchand. They’ll be as tough as Trent Frederic, as smart as Patrice Bergeron, as crafty as David Krejci.
They’ll strap on the pads and become Linus Ullmark, or Jeremy Swayman, scoring goalie goals and hugging it out.
Around here, it remains a way of life, especially when the Bruins are hot.
Jack Studley and his buddies, including the late Martin Richard, used to pretend they were the 2010-11 Bruins. They would bang slappers like Big Z and holler “Tuuuk!” after big saves. Their compete level was always elevated.

“Every day after school, we would run around Dorchester,” Studley said. “Whatever park, whatever side street, somebody had a net and we would just play.”

In some pockets of the city, street hockey rules no matter how the local team is doing.

“In Dorchester, kids don’t put their sticks away,” said Mike Devlin, director of recreation for the City of Boston. “It’s South Boston, it’s the Shamrock Shootout in West Roxbury.” That’s where some 650 players take their whacks on a closed-off Temple Street.

The stick-and-ball version of hockey is on the minds of those in the NHL’s corner offices. The league recently announced the creation of NHL Street, for ages 6 to 16, which aims to start in Boston and six other cities (Detroit, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Austin, Texas) in the coming months. It promises free equipment, provided by Stoughton-based manufacturer Franklin, and jerseys with the local team’s colors and logo. Former Bruin Andrew Ference, now working for the NHL, is running the show.

There are independent and municipal leagues all over the Boston area, but a lot of the action is still unorganized.

“Older kids, they want to play pickup by themselves,” Devlin said. “They don’t want mom and dad around.”

Given the immense cost and time commitment of organized hockey — consider how many hours and resources are needed to put a kid on the ice for 10-15 minutes per game — and the state of our climate, street hockey is more critical than ever to player development.

Boston is hardly the only northern city having milder-than-usual weather. Ottawa did not open its five-mile Rideau Canal Skateway this winter, shuttering the world’s largest outdoor rink for the first time in its 53-year history. Some 400 miles to the south, we here in Greater Boston have not had much time on the ponds. Backyard rinks have remained pools. Those of us with young children may be worrying about a pastime lost.

Those of us who grew up in Gloucester and first shuffled on double-runners at age 2 — Buswell Pond in Magnolia — still go to sleep floating on the glassy ice of Lanesville’s frozen granite quarries. The first strides of the season, hearing the spooky settling of the sheet. Then we’d throw sticks, day after day. The stuff of dreams.

If we didn’t have ice, in the time of Ray Bourque and Cam Neely, we always had a side road or a church parking lot. We would run there as soon as we were free from obligation. Our elders did the same.

“If I didn’t have hockey practice or a hockey game, it’s what I looked forward to the most when I woke up that day,” said NESN color analyst Andy Brickley, who grew up in Melrose in the Orr-Esposito era. “What time am I getting home from school, and how many guys are we going to have, are we going to play in the street, are we setting up in the tennis courts, do we need to shovel, do we have two nets . . .

“I was so preoccupied with how we were going to arrange the street hockey game for that day. If it was a weekend, you’d play all day.

“Everybody could play. Not everybody could play hockey and not everybody could afford to play hockey, but everybody could afford to play street hockey. If you were products of my generation — we were 8 and 10 when the Bruins were winning the Stanley Cups, and those guys were your heroes, the swagger, the team-first attitude, the accessibility, the personality, all that stuff impacted my generation.

“We all wanted to play hockey. Not everybody could, but everybody could play street hockey. Never were we shorthanded.”

Street hockey was a place to grow athletically, competitively, and of course, a place for childhood mischief.

“When cars would come by we’d say time out, and we’d try to pass the puck through the car’s wheels,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery remembered of his days on Paisley Street in Montreal. “Wasn’t that hard to do.”

“My parents would never agree this happened,” Brickley said, “but late at night, we’d go up and cut the tennis court nets down [to make street hockey nets in the garage]. We did it every time we got locked out of the tennis court. We’d find the right time to do it. I think people knew it was us, anyway.”

Bruins defenseman Brandon Carlo and his crew in Colorado Springs blocked cars from their cul-de-sac on Sawleaf Court so they had uninterrupted games. In Lerberget, Sweden, Hampus Lindholm’s squad wouldn’t stop when they saw one.

“They’d have to wait until the play was over,” he said, “and then you’d let them through.”

They were too busy mimicking their heroes, taking scenes from the TV and applying them to the asphalt. Even today, when kids have the universe streaming in front of them, there’s still room for them to ditch the screen and let off steam.

For the youngest of the stick-carrying tribe, these Bruins have no doubt inspired.

“I’m sure we’ll see it when our season starts this year,” Studley said. “Everyone’s going to want to be as good as they are.”

After Ullmark scored against the Canucks recently, Studley posted the video on his league’s Instagram.

“We haven’t had a goalie score a goalie goal yet,” Studley said. “Is that going to change this year?”

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Some awesome memories come flooding back. Playing under street lights at night.
Building nets during the 1969-70 season. Trying to find the "right" ball to use.

The kids the last 25 years are able to use rollerblades in place of ice skating which we never were.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Some awesome memories come flooding back. Playing under street lights at night.
Building nets during the 1969-70 season. Trying to find the "right" ball to use.

The kids the last 25 years are able to use rollerblades in place of ice skating which we never were.
I used rollerblades for a while until I got sick of replacing wheels due to flat spots I put in them from doing hockey stops.

I’m not sure whether the viewing of games or the playing of street hockey when I was a kid got me more into the game, but I’d lean toward the latter. There was nothing better than playing goal and making a windmill glove save on my dad.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I've told this story before, but it fits this thread to a 'T'. I was going to college in North Carolina when the first Wayne's World came out. Nobody down there had even heard of street hockey, so when this scene came on, I was the only one in the theater pissing my pants laughing. People were staring at me like I was a maniac.

Reactions: Gee Wally

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
gotta start replacing some of these soccer field and indoor soccer turf with more inline rinks and dek hockey rinks. The past 20 years numerous inline hockey leagues ive been in have closed down. It sucks.
ugh and especially pickleball. too many pickleball courts. that sport should only be played for kids under 10 and adults over 65.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
gotta start replacing some of these soccer field and indoor soccer turf with more inline rinks and dek hockey rinks. The past 20 years numerous inline hockey leagues ive been in have closed down. It sucks.
ugh and especially pickleball. too many pickleball courts. that sport should only be played for kids under 10 and adults over 65.

Don't knock pickleball. It got me out of gym class my senior year in high school. I would show up to class the beginning of every semester and play the teacher in pickleball. If I beat him, I could skip class the rest of the semester. It worked all year until the SOB marked me absent the last semester and I had to walk the track 3 Saturdays in a row to get my diploma.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
the whole street hockey league thing the NHL is setting up is fantastic, It will be a great way to grow the game cause you just need a stick and a ball, nothing else. imagination does the rest.

Reactions: sarge88

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's like mainlining nostalgia...

Was a kid in the early 90s, so lucky to have rollerblades for street hockey. Goalies got a baseball glove and the goal was the porch (2 windows wide). Which lasted 1 summer and my parents had enough and got us nets for Christmas

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Belmont did a pretty good job of keeping the streets fixed in the 70s but man did I ever go through a lot of tennis shoes playing street hockey there. Our street had a lot of recent immigrants so we had kids from China, Italy, etc, both girls and boys. Half the kids didn't know what they were doing but it was a lot of fun to come home from school most days and play. We didn't have much money at all but the man next door kept me supplied with sticks. No joke, he was involved in organized crime (fruit market and olive racket), but everyone loved him and he was super cool to all the kids. It's great to see that street hockey is alive and well.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We spent hundreds of hours every fall and winter playing on tennis courts in a run down section of North Lawrence.

Home made nets, couch cushions covered in duct tape for leg pads, a baseball glove with a couple of elbow pads on the forearm for a catching glove, often a baseball catchers chest protector (my dad was on the LL board, so we had a lot of equipment stored at the house in the winter --- shhhh!), usually just a regular hockey glove as a "blocker".

Orange balls only ---- whether it was 88 or -8 degrees.

I vividly remember being 11 or 12 and we could hear the high school football game being announced over the loud speaker across the river. It wasn't totally clear, but on a good day, if the wind/atmosphere was right you could hear --- Lawrence Touchdown scored by: XXXXX. (On several occasions XXXX's younger brothers were playing street hockey with us at the moment -- lol).

The absolute best times of my childhood.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Our side street in Quincy was a mecca for street hockey. Almost every kid in the neighborhood played. And families had fewer cars so the street was mostly open when we got home from school. Street went downhill so if you missed the net going downhill, it was a long run to fetch the ball.

Every day after school we'd gather and play until dark. When it was getting dark and a car drove up the street we'd get a few seconds of headlights which we loved.

In college a whole crew used to play on Sunday mornings at the tennis courts at Presidents Golf Course. That was a great group. One guy would bring his snow blower if it snowed, the rest of us would bring shovels. Depending on the temp, the guy who ran it would decide whether to use the blue, orange or pink Mylec hockey ball.

Good times, good memories.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We spent hundreds of hours every fall and winter playing on tennis courts in a run down section of North Lawrence.

Home made nets, couch cushions covered in duct tape for leg pads, a baseball glove with a couple of elbow pads on the forearm for a catching glove, often a baseball catchers chest protector (my dad was on the LL board, so we had a lot of equipment stored at the house in the winter --- shhhh!), usually just a regular hockey glove as a "blocker".

Orange balls only ---- whether it was 88 or -8 degrees.

I vividly remember being 11 or 12 and we could hear the high school football game being announced over the loud speaker across the river. It wasn't totally clear, but on a good day, if the wind/atmosphere was right you could hear --- Lawrence Touchdown scored by: XXXXX. (On several occasions XXXX's younger brothers were playing street hockey with us at the moment -- lol).

The absolute best times of my childhood.

pretty much same here Al.
especially always on the search for foam cushions.

Only other thing we did for a blocker was stuff a cereal box with foam.Completely cover it with tape and then tie it to backhand of our hockey glove.

years later when we could drive we’d head to Burlington Mall on Sunday mornings.
Back then they had the Blue laws so mall was closed on Sundays. We had the whole parking lot.
You’d have 3 or 4 games going at same time.
Then grab a bite at HoJos directly across the street.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad