Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It’s hard to sign the top players if you’re not willing to give the wages. Chelsea might be out of the CL, but they’re willing to pay wages Spurs won’t.

A possible Kovacic loan could also be part of a deal to have Chelsea let Courtois go to Madrid.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
It’s hard to sign the top players if you’re not willing to give the wages. Chelsea might be out of the CL, but they’re willing to pay wages Spurs won’t.

I feel that's such an outdated response...they've shown over the last couple of years that they will pony up if the player is worth it...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How difficult is this to understand? Historical wage bill has NOTHING to do with what Spurs might be willing to pay players in the future.

Funny when Liverpool-fans pretend to know really anything about finances at Spurs. If anything Spurs got more room to pay Kovacic a high salary than Chelsea do.

Reactions: Fro

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
How difficult is this to understand? Historical wage bill has NOTHING to do with what Spurs might be willing to pay players in the future.

Funny when Liverpool-fans pretend to know really anything about finances at Spurs. If anything Spurs got more room to pay Kovacic a high salary than Chelsea do.

So we should ignore patterns and what Spurs have shown historically in favor of what you hope to be true? What evidence is there that Spurs are willing to pay a 'high salary' outside of one player that they pretty much had no choice but to give a fat contract to?

Also why are you getting so defensive? I only posted an article and numbers and asked a question.

This is before we broke our wage structure and doubled Kane's wages.

His updated wage is in the salaries comparison links.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So we should ignore patterns and what Spurs have shown historically in favor of what you hope to be true? What evidence is there that Spurs are willing to pay a 'high salary' outside of one player that they pretty much had no choice but to give a fat contract to?

Also why are you getting so defensive? I only posted an article and numbers and asked a question.

His updated wage is in the salaries comparison links.

Same way you are ignoring Spurs turnover is not exactly the same as it was when many of those "cheap contracts" were signed. How much room you got to use on salaries is longer term more or less set by your overall turnover.

I'm not defensive. But I find it funny when two Liverpool-fans voice their opinion on something you clearly know very little about.

Spurs turnover next season will probably be very close to Chelsea's. Spurs are currently paying far less in wages than Chelsea. The math is quite easy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kovacic to Chelsea makes sense on some levels and other levels it feels like click-bait to fill the gap until the Courtois deal is finalized.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nor sure if I trust the source saying that Kovacic was on a strike when he really wasn't, just yesterday.
Peter veland? He's as good as it gets for soccer transfer news.

Sidenote but he also claims Sevilla want Samu for 20 million. Too early for a move but at that price that's way too good for Sevilla.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Same way you are ignoring Spurs turnover is not exactly the same as it was when many of those "cheap contracts" were signed. How much room you got to use on salaries is longer term more or less set by your overall turnover.

I'm not defensive. But I find it funny when two Liverpool-fans voice their opinion on something you clearly know very little about.

Spurs turnover next season will probably be very close to Chelsea's. Spurs are currently paying far less in wages than Chelsea. The math is quite easy.
So what opinion was it that I gave? That math would only apply if Spurs are willing to pay the same amount in wages as Chelsea. Really, I was asking for knowledge on the situation but you've just provided your opinion and pointed out things everyone can see without any kind of context. It sounds more like hope vs. historical action (and not ancient history, either).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So what opinion was it that I gave? That math would only apply if Spurs are willing to pay the same amount in wages as Chelsea. Really, I was asking for knowledge on the situation but you've just provided your opinion and pointed out things everyone can see without any kind of context. It sounds more like hope vs. historical action (and not ancient history, either).

I have no idea what any of this means.

"That math would only apply if Spurs are willing to pay the same amount in wages as Chelsea"

"It sounds more like hope vs. historical action (and not ancient history, either)"

You were asking for knowledge by posting evidence that Chelsea pay more in wages than Spurs? Funny.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Still confused as to why Burnley signed Joe Hart. Maybe Pope's injury is worse than it was first believed, but he isn't better than Heaton and I'd imagine that he is rather expensive.

Good way for Hart to rebound his career though considering how good Burnley are at suppressing shots and seem to have a great goalkeeping coach.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Matt Law mentioned that Real are willing to offer Kovacic on season-long loan to get Courtois deal done. Not sure if he knows or is just recycling the previous rumor. Law then mentions our interest in Kepa and that the reasons for wanting Kovacic on loan would be to spend more money on a keeper. Give me Kepa and 1 year of Kovacic over Butland and Vecino or whatever 30ish million CM that we've been linked to. If Kovacic works out, make him permanent when Real come calling for Hazard next summer.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'd be lying if I said I'd watched more than two games of both Fekir and Kovacic.

Are we going to use Fekir as a false nine?

Still have a glaring hole at RW and LB. we've been avoiding filling these holes for years.

Willian sucks. Alonso sucks.

Hazard - Fekir - Willian
Kovacic - Kante - Jorginho
Alonso - Rudiger - Christensen - Azpilicueta

CHO - Batshuayi - Pedro
Barkley - Bakayoko - Fabregas
Emerson - Cahill - Luiz - Zappacosta

Giroud, Moses, Musonda, Ampadu, Drinkwater on the outside looking in.

Giroud or Batshuayi must be heading out if Fekir is coming in.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I feel that's such an outdated response...they've shown over the last couple of years that they will pony up if the player is worth it...
Their player. They’ve never gone out in the market for the top players.

There’s a massive difference between “we have the money” and actually spending it.

They’re cheap. There’s nothing wrong with that, but they’re not willing to pay wages Chelsea, United or City will. Maybe they change that in the near future, but that’s counter to Levys track record and we have a present situation with a defender who is going to move because of wages.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Came in to say that Matt Law's picked it up, but have been thoroughly beat! It's possible that he's simply linking the Kovacic rumour to the stuff he knows for certain on Courtois, but also possible he has his own info.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be lying if I said I'd watched more than two games of both Fekir and Kovacic.

Are we going to use Fekir as a false nine?

Still have a glaring hole at RW and LB. we've been avoiding filling these holes for years.

Willian sucks. Alonso sucks.

Hazard - Fekir - Willian
Kovacic - Kante - Jorginho
Alonso - Rudiger - Christensen - Azpilicueta

CHO - Batshuayi - Pedro
Barkley - Bakayoko - Fabregas
Emerson - Cahill - Luiz - Zappacosta

Giroud, Moses, Musonda, Ampadu, Drinkwater on the outside looking in.

Giroud or Batshuayi must be heading out if Fekir is coming in.

Fekir could play the attacking mid role that Barkley has been in, a false 9 type, or RW. I don't know enough about Fekir or Sarri to know where the preference would be for how Sarri wants to play though. Depending on the keeper situation, I don't think we spend big money on an attacking player if we can get Kepa. If we get Butland, then we probably are a bit more aggressive on someone who can score.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kovacic as part of Courtois makes sense unfortunately.

Even if I don't get why the player would want to move to Chelsea (that is then without one of their best players) instead of let's say Spurs.

It would be very disappointing if Chelsea got Jorginho, Kovacic and Fekir while Spurs line up Amos and Dier (or something) against Newcastle. That would almost be laughable from a Spurs perspective.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kovacic as part of Courtois makes sense unfortunately.

Even if I don't get why the player would want to move to Chelsea (that is then without one of their best players) instead of let's say Spurs.

It would be very disappointing if Chelsea got Jorginho, Kovacic and Fekir while Spurs line up Amos and Dier (or something) against Newcastle. That would almost be laughable from a Spurs perspective.
He'd be playing with Sarri in an attacking role where he'd get a ton of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad