Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread part 9: Sky Sports Deadline Day boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think Mbappe’s best move optics wise would have been a wink-wink one year extension. He plays out one more year in Paris and then allows them to still get a fee for him in a year.

Edit: @KJS14 beat me by thirty seconds but said the same thing :eek:

I guess if you want to go, you’re going to go. In his mind, maybe he feels there’s an injury risk or a risk to his prestige falling next to neymar and messi. Idk.

So, who does PSG sign now? Ronaldo? Lewandowski? Suarez?

Reactions: KJS14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The "down the drain" bit aside, assuming you are correct in La Liga's profile diminishing whilst L1's is increasing, you have to consider the whys behind it. La Liga's is in large part down to rules that L1 doesn't have and more importantly L1's profile is increasing surely down in very large part to PSG's squad.
L1 has had rules in place when La liga had none. For 40+ years.
Of course Messi coming has drawn a lot of attention, but I didn't wait for his arrival to claim L1 was going to be super exciting this year.
You can go back to my posts, the amount of interesting foreign (and french) coaches, the Nice project, OM revamping their whole team, Monaco losing nobody of note, the two promoted sides playing uber passing football, etc...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ligue 1 is getting more exposure because of Messi. La Liga will get a big buzz if Mbappé moves. All of it is situational. Madrid and Barca are still huge brands and they will both recover financially soon enough. Trending down today, could be trending up tomorrow. Trends are relevant, but we are not comparing La Liga to EPL here, we are comparing it to a much smaller league.

Ligue 1 is, at best, a one-league team for "visibility" purposes (as we saw last year, it is far from true on the pitch). La Liga has the two biggest brands in club football. La Liga just signed a mainstream North American deal (ESPN).

Exposure-wise, sure, England is the biggest league. None of the clubs are bigger brands than Real Madrid though. Manchester United and Liverpool are huge historical brands, but they do not have the glamour of Madrid or even Barca. So, where would he go that would increase his marketability? United? Liverpool? Certainly not City.

PSG is now the Messi show. Football-wise, it does benefit Mbappé tremendously, I agree. Business-wise? If they finally win the CL, sure... but it will still be all about Messi. Like the Buccaneers winning the Super Bowl was all about Brady winning with another franchise. The narrative will be that Messi pushed them over the top. Pretty sure Mbappé does not like that. Is it ego? Sure. But it is also earning potential. I would not know how to quantify it though, so I won't fight back too much if someone were to say that it was neglectable.

Honestly, the fact that he is being called a primadonna in France is largely irrelevant. Fans shit on players all the time and they will forget all about his ego next time he has a great performance for the National team. I would be very surprised if very localized public perception would influence his decision.

And... his SD is now trashing him very openly. The relationship seems to be over. He is most than likely moving. For how much? I guess we will get a game a chicken until the deadline. I think the English club rumors are posturing to make Madrid up their offer.
1/ Mbappe is not signing with Real because of branding. It's obvious he chose it because of his childhood dream.
2/ If you think Mbappe doesn't care about his image, you simply don't know him. Being shit on and being accused of being a liar right now is not something he likes.
3/ His SD certainly isn't trashing him when he says he wants him to stay lol. He merely said Mbappe made a promise. That puts the pressure on point 2 that you continue to ignore.
4/ the EPL team was a week or two back, before Real made any offer. So no.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He does not have to move NOW! But PSG is probably putting pressure to either re-sign or leave now, because they do not want to lose him for nothing.

I do not have any inside info, but from everything that has transpired, Mbappé has always been fine with fulfilling the last year of his contract... that being said, that's also PR, just like PSG making him to villain and portraying themselves as victims that have done EVERYTHING to make him happy is also PR. All parties are negotiating in public right now.
I don't think PSG is saying anything than the bottom truth here.
The only public complaint Mbappe had was that he wanted the team to be stronger before resigning. Well, LOL.
The team got much stronger, he had a huge financial proposal and he had made a promise.
Any other decision than resigning is obviously a bad PR move for Mbappe.

PSG is not putting pressure on Mbappe, but rather on Real. They want to extend him, but everyone knows that losing him for nothing isn't exactly a huge problem for them if they have a more competitive team this year and get it done in the CL. With Mbappe, it's more likely.
You have to understand that PSG would hate losing Mbappe, but more because of the sporting side than the financial one. They did the same with Rabiot, old strong with Neymar and Verratti.
NOW, if Mbappe wants to leave (Leo's words), then Real should pony up the necessary proposal and quickly so that PSG can turn around and spend the money on a replacement.
But Leo is more likely right. Real's offer wasn't a real "I want you" offer but more of a "we tried".
PSG is probably willing to gamble on a change of mind while Mbappe can have 4 or 5 proposals to join the Guardiola, Chelsea, United or stay with PSG.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He could conceivably sign a renewal with PSG now that includes a release clause, which would allow him to stay for 1 year (or longer) with Messi and then leave for Madrid. Seems like that would benefit both sides if he doesn't want to leave immediately. Although he could probably get a bigger pay day by leaving on a free I guess.
Yes and not break his promise.
From the beginning a 2 year contract made the most sense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leonardo called out Mbappe pretty bad, which I took as a shot at Madrid. Pay us the fee we want this summer or you are going to put this guy in a position where he broke his word to PSG. Very good negotiating through the media.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You said a few hours ago he shouldn't do it???

Anyway, Lewa apparently would love to join if Mbappe leaves. Still don't see Bayern selling.
Or Raiola might push for Haaland.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was sarcastic. Raiola is everything that's wrong with modern football today. There should be caps on what agents can charge. I highly doubt Uefa will do that because they are a super corrupt.

I was referring specifically to Haaland. I agree on Raiola and every time I think of a player I'd like to see at Barça who has him for an agent I think it'd be better if they passed.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
L1 has had rules in place when La liga had none. For 40+ years.
Of course Messi coming has drawn a lot of attention, but I didn't wait for his arrival to claim L1 was going to be super exciting this year.
You can go back to my posts, the amount of interesting foreign (and french) coaches, the Nice project, OM revamping their whole team, Monaco losing nobody of note, the two promoted sides playing uber passing football, etc...

Different rules.
Right, but we're talking about the league's profile and not your opinion about it being super exciting. That said I don't disagree with you and I can understand your enthusiasm regardless of Messi.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I said he should not give Mendy.

I do not care about money that is not mine as long as it does not cripple the club. Mbappé will bring enough revenue.
I said Mendy+160 you said "no way, I'm willing to take a gamble", but 200 you say "do it"?
Weird.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Different rules.
Right, but we're talking about the league's profile and not your opinion about it being super exciting. That said I don't disagree with you and I can understand your enthusiasm regardless of Messi.
Yes different rules, but rules that prohibited french teams to act like spanish teams.
Yes Messi will serve as the light that will show the word the quality of what's going on in L1 right now.
Good thing it didn't happen two seasons ago.
Last year was great, this year will be even better (though Monaco and Lyon are starting slow).

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
So 200 it is, right?

Absolutely insane with only 1 year left but Madrid needs it. It's a massive signing regardless wonder how they finance it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How much money Real spends on players with 1 year left that they know want to play for only Real is just hilarious.

Reactions: cgf

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes different rules, but rules that prohibited french teams to act like spanish teams.
Yes Messi will serve as the light that will show the word the quality of what's going on in L1 right now.
Good thing it didn't happen two seasons ago.
Last year was great, this year will be even better (though Monaco and Lyon are starting slow).

That's a matter of opinion considering PSG, but it's beside the point anyway as it's notably more stringent in La Liga right now. That said it sounds like L1 is moving in the same direction in a couple of years.

Yeah, a lot of good stories in L1 right now. Just don't think it has much to do with the profile of the league after Messi. To your point though, Messi's presence should help highlight other stories and perhaps garner some more interest. Of course rightly or wrongly the Premiership will still get top billing for most folks.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I said Mendy+160 you said "no way, I'm willing to take a gamble", but 200 you say "do it"?
Weird.

I value what Mendy brings to the club more than I value money, that's not "weird". Our defense is bad enough already, I would not give away our starting LB... especially since he is not part of the reason why the defense is underwhelming.

Second of all, I said if I was in Flo's position. As a fan, I went Mbappé and that's it. If it is only for money and we can afford it, go. If I were running the club, I'd be more conservative and call PSG's bluff, most likely... then again, I do not have access to all of Madrid's finances so I do not know what decision I would ultimately take. I'd be ready to call PSG's bluff, that's for sure. If Mbappé has his heart set on Madrid, he will come next year. If not, well, I will have lost my gamble.

Honestly, as much as I want Mbappé, I'd understand if we spent the money differently. 200M is a lot, but if we can sign Mbappé for 5 years, count me in.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
PSG'S profile has been lifted, not Ligue 1's. And no, it's not the same thing. When PSG runs through the league (again), no casual fan is going to care what a great project OGC Nice has going on.

Reactions: Chimaera

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I value what Mendy brings to the club more than I value money, that's not "weird". Our defense is bad enough already, I would not give away our starting LB... especially since he is not part of the reason why the defense is underwhelming.

Second of all, I said if I was in Flo's position. As a fan, I went Mbappé and that's it. If it is only for money and we can afford it, go. If I were running the club, I'd be more conservative and call PSG's bluff, most likely... then again, I do not have access to all of Madrid's finances so I do not know what decision I would ultimately take. I'd be ready to call PSG's bluff, that's for sure. If Mbappé has his heart set on Madrid, he will come next year. If not, well, I will have lost my gamble.

Honestly, as much as I want Mbappé, I'd understand if we spent the money differently. 200M is a lot, but if we can sign Mbappé for 5 years, count me in.
40M for Mendy who Ancelotti likely won't start if a big fat yes for Perez IMO.
Remember Ancelotti named Marcelo captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad