Summer training: Ice vs Gym

ctrules

Mar 29, 2005
Hey guys i was just wondering what your thoughts are on training for hockey in the summer. Do you think its better to focus most of my time in the gym working out or get on the ice. I was leaning towards the gym becuase i am an aspiring college hoceky player and feel most of the ice time i could get (stick time/pick up/local tournaments) is pretty crappy and would just instill bad habits. I am playing in 3 major showcase tournaments in the northeast, but i was wondering how beneficial it would be for me to be on the ice a couple times a week during the summer playing against some mediocire competition. Ive had ppl tell me any ice time is good ice time, but im not sure in this case.

Also, does anyone know what NHL/College D1 guys do?? I mean obviously they train a lot, but do u think there getting on the ice everday?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

power_def

Apr 5, 2007
lift, plyometrics, skate. repeat.

Pros / D1 players don't just lift one day skate the next, they do it all. Usually lift before you go skate though.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I say Lifting would help if you could gain some weight and muscle, skate every once in a while.

Lift- 3-5 times a week.
Skate- once every 2 weeks or 1 time a week.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Kind of off topic but has anyone seen the 'shape' that Keith Primeau was in? When they had that retirement celebration for him, TSN showed some clips throughout his career. In his last season with the Flyers they showed him getting suited up in the dressing room and the dude had man-boobs.
I'm sure he's in great cardiovascular shape and probably has very strong legs, but I was amazed at how pathetic his upper body was. But I guess when you're as a big as he is, you can get away with it.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I don't have a summer since I play beer league which is year round, but I've been trying to do HIIT running every other day (I consider playing a game or pick up a session of running since it's worse in some ways) and I'm starting to get back into lifting as well.

So I guess just try to make something that fits to what you need. If you feel like you need to get stronger lift more, if you feel that you need to increase your speed & endurance try running or HIIT training or try a combination that's comfortable to you.

HIIT training is probably better for a hockey player than pure running. HIIT doesn't burn off muscle mass like running over long periods does. It also can help increase your max sprint distance (which is very important in hockey), recovery time, overall endurance, and can even help you become a faster player. Also a reason why you can tell it doesn't burn muscles like regular running is if you watch running on TV on in person if you like. If you look at distance runners, they are usually very skinny guys with very little muscle. Now go look at sprinters, they're all jacked. That should be your reason as to why distance running is not as good as HIIT.

In terms of getting on the ice. If you wanna get on the ice, just use the time to practice skills and stuff. You can never get enough practice no matter what your level is. Stickhandling, shooting, skating, practice on your own if you have to. Although I'd say in terms of competition you'll probably as you said not want to play with people who are much below your level. So I'd say stick with HIIT to keep yourself in shape, if not better it, and lifting to strengthen yourself with a little ice time sprinkled in.

Otherwise if you're on some sort of team ask your coaches. They'd probably have better insight than us. Plus if you've played on a team for a while, coaches will know your strengths and weaknesses and tell you what you should work on.

Last edited:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I am certainly not an expert, but my experience:

At the gym, focus on your lower body. Obviously do all your muscle groups, but by far the most important to hockey is your legs. Everything you can do to build up your quads, hamstrings, calves etc. That should be your main priority. Drink a protein shake mixed with skim milk within an hour after working out each session.

In terms of cariovascular, its a strange thing with hockey. In my experience, running doesn't do much for your wind on the ice. Maybe sprinting would help more, but I always found that getting my stamina up through off-ice jogging never really translated to the ice. If you can get some time at a local rink, I'd suggest doing as much ice sprinting as you can. Everybody had this drill, we happened to call it "the Montreal" but its just goal line to near blue, back to goal line, to red line back to goal line, far blue back to goal line, goal to goal, then far blue to goal, red to goal, near blue to goal. Repeat until you can't skate anymore. If you are skating by yourself, I think that's the most effective drill you can do. Probably more bang for your buck than sloppy pick-up hockey.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i really dont have a choise. i have to go to the gym. my whole team practise together during the summer and there is only 1 rink in the entire country where you can skate during the summer.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
lift, plyometrics, skate. repeat.

Pros / D1 players don't just lift one day skate the next, they do it all. Usually lift before you go skate though.

Yeah, if you train to much with out skating your going to loose touch with your center of gravity. I took a summer off of my beer league, and spent those months in the gym to "tone" my upper body. I gained just 5 pounds and I swear It felt like I had to learn how to skate again. It blew my mind. Everything about how I felt on my skates changed. Quite humbling, and great fun for my team!

Edit: those 5 pounds were not exactly ALL lean gains. lol

Last edited:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Here is a year round fitness program written by Bompa, that will give you an idea of how and What D1 and pros do...

http://www.hawksice.com/tending/pro_collegiate_program.zip

Its a well rounded program that includes plyometric and agility traiining, strength and conditioning for ALL THREE of the bodies energy systems. Ignore any single aspect and your going to have a bit of a problem come season start. You also have to consider the OVER TRAINING ASPECT. Take the time to get your waking heart rate each morning. When you see this value increase significantly, it is a strong indicator that your about to cross the line. Detraining is not easily done with out professional help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad