Votes: 26 14.1%
  • No one this summer

Votes: 76 41.1%

• Total voters

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would past on Toffoli not enough speed. Signing a guy to big money past 33/34 usually isn’t great.
All of these deal are a bit expensive Reinhart would have the most impact but Duclair might be the best bargain.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't see Hughes entering into this market for anything significant as he is much more likely to try and turn his plethora of draft picks and logjam of good young D into a top six forward
He could bring one forward in the equation. A new one better than Newhook, equal to Suzuki of Slaf, CC. And young enough for the window.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He could bring one forward in the equation. A new one better than Newhook, equal to Suzuki of Slaf, CC. And young enough for the window.

I really don't think so as all UFA's are overpaid and he is smart enough to avoid that. He will want another younger forward, likely with a little size who has top 6 potential. I can not see him burying Newhook behind a veteran UFA acquisition when the whole point was to give him opportunities that he was not getting regularly with Colorado.

Gumming up the lineup with veterans seems to be exactly the opposite of his short term vision. I believe that he will want to see as many young players as possible push this team close to playoff contention before even considering a significant UFA.

I guess it is a never say never situation but it is very difficult to rationalize under the current circumstances. I do wonder if he takes a reclamation/change of scenery shot at players like Holloway, Sillinger, Kaliyev, Foudy, Jarventie etc.

My personal favourite would be to try and pry Neighbours from St.Louis with some of our assets. The Leafs desperately need an infusion of talent on the blueline and Knies would be a perfect target but I don't see that happening lol.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Marchessault is a lock to come here. Perfect fit in the top six for the medium term. Winning pedigree and experience. Local and will transition into hockey ops.

If that doesn't work I'm fine with bringing back toffoli or Monahan. Perry is a no as not only is he washed, he's a distraction.

Alexandre carrier is my secondary target. Experienced RD just entering his prime at 27. Allows kovacevic to be flipped to a cap strapped team if any of the RD prospects push for a spot. Playing the third most minutes on Nashville's D.

I don't see much else out there that's realistic. We're not even in the race for a guenztel or stamkos.
Marchessault small and 34 though. He's exiting his prime years now.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
March is the likeliest to end up here, but as seen before, he will use the Habs to up his value. The rest...mehhh. The Habs traded Moneyhands for a first. I doubt that management wanted to sign him longterm. Toffoli will ask for lots. He won't go for another lowball offer. Stamkos is a lock to the Leafs. Reinhart is too big of a name. Most of these guys were courted by BargainBin and as ex Habs, I doubt they come back here.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Stamkos on a 2 year term would be awesome. A leader with his status would not only brings a lot of punch on our 2nd line, he would propel our team a step higher.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Stamkos

Then Newhook, Beck at the top of our bottom 6. We are talking.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There's no chance they're walking into next season without an improved roster including vets. They're not going to start the year with a "yeah, we're still rebuilding".
They will go after young players like Zegras. Possibly Reinhart but he probably won't sign with the Habs. If they don't get one they won't make any changes. Next off season they will certainly fill in holes in any way they can (free agents, trades etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: SwiftyHab

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Also, Marchessault is a big, fat no to me. Too small, too old. He could make a decent rental in 2026-2027 if his contract is up and we need depth for the playoffs (and is still able to improve a Top-9). No more, no less.

Reactions: LaP and Andrei79

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Armia-Dvorak/Evans-Gallagher
RHP-Dvorak/Evans-Ylonen

It would be nice to add a scoring winger to that top six. Can Roy make the jump? He's a very smart player. Will it be via draft? Does Eiserman land in Montreal's lap and would he forego BU?

While I wouldn't mind Toffoli coming back, it's not the time to add and he's rumoured to want a six year deal. I think we wait one more year. Dvorak and Armia both come off the books and open up spots and $.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's no chance they're walking into next season without an improved roster including vets. They're not going to start the year with a "yeah, we're still rebuilding".

They will try to make another Newhook/Dach style trade, probably trying to target someone a bit more established like a Necas.

They aren't going to break the bank for PP merchant Sam Reinhart, nor do I think that Reinhart will sign with the Habs either if they were interested.

There's other ways to improve without signing major UFAs, especially when the quality isn't there.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They will try to make another Newhook/Dach style trade, probably trying to target someone a bit more established like a Necas.

They aren't going to break the bank for PP merchant Sam Reinhart, nor do I think that Reinhart will sign with the Habs either if they were interested.

There's other ways to improve without signing major UFAs, especially when the quality isn't there.
Hughes is in the middle of the rebuild so I don't expect him to bring in a solid UFA just yet. I agree that he will look to replicate the Dach/Newhook strategy.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hughes is in the middle of the rebuild so I don't expect him to bring in a solid UFA just yet. I agree that he will look to replicate the Dach/Newhook strategy.

Yep, there's a difference between still selling/rebuilding and being in a stage where you are aggressive pursuing UFA.

This upcoming summer is the swing year, they'll start attacking a bit more mindfully but not so aggressively and the moves they make that accumulate future assets will be to remove non-core players (Savard, Armia, etc.) with expiring term out the door, so they can continue to build their war chest for the big move that they are obviously looking to do.

All while integrating more and more of the young talent from our rebuild.. Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson, Beck, etc.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Tyson

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Yes they might check in on Reinhart but if there is a bidding war they are out. And his agent would probably tell them he has no interest in Montreal.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'd love Monahan back. Perry won't come back.

But, I'd prefer to wait for the 2025 crop with Crosby, Drai and Rantanen. Any one of those three would be sweet.

2025 TDL and Summer is our time.

Reactions: jrom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Dach - Anderson
Roy/Heineman/Farrell - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Pezzetta
Ylonen, Armia

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Kovacevic
Harris

Montembeault
Primeau

The team is already full if you allow one rookie next year AND waive Barron (or trade/let go of Ylonen). Unless we trade or buy out a bunch of guys, we aren't signing anyone.

2025-2026 is the year Hughes will make bigger splashes. Armia, Dvorak and Savard come off the book, as well as the hit from Petry+Allen. Price's contract becomes easier to move. Anderson and Gallagher can be moved on from via trades or buyouts. Several prospects will also be ready to make the jump.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Can’t believe people still want to tank next year. With this year’s draft we’ll have enough talent on the prospect pool and we need to start getting playoff experience for the core. I would go for a vet winger ala and Manahan for 3 years. Would love Stamkos or Reinhart but those are pipe dreams. Reports about Mantha is that he is playing well this year with a good effort.

Take a page out of Vegas’ book and improve the roster going forward with trades with our surplus at D and 2026 + picks.

Caufield Suzuki Slaf
Mantha Dach Newhook
Roy Manahan Anderson

That top 6 can get us in the playoffs IMO

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Can’t believe people still want to tank next year. With this year’s draft we’ll have enough talent on the prospect pool and we need to start getting playoff experience for the core. I would go for a vet winger ala and Manahan for 3 years. Would love Stamkos or Reinhart but those are pipe dreams. Reports about Mantha is that he is playing well this year with a good effort.

Take a page out of Vegas’ book and improve the roster going forward with trades with our surplus at D and 2026 + picks.
Mantha is crap. He won't help. No one wants to tank or expects to tank next season. Habs will be somewhere between 10th and 20th, injuries not withstanding. But Habs won't be selling the farm to make the playoffs next season. They will be looking for long term acquisitions.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Mantha is crap. He won't help. No one wants to tank or expects to tank next season. Habs will be somewhere between 10th and 20th, injuries not withstanding. But Habs won't be selling the farm to make the playoffs next season. They will be looking for long term acquisitions.
Mantha is a 6’5 20 goal scorer that may want to play for his hometown team. He is not amazing but sure beats any winger outside of Caufield, Slaf and Newhook (very debatable). We have cap space, so signing him to a 3 year deal would be perfect. You want the Habs to start making the playoffs, we need more talent up front.

Reactions: mdk

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Outside of Reinhart and Duclair they are all too old. Duclair is not good enough he's a complement on an already good team. Reinhart will cost too much for what he is, He'll ask to be paid like a 90+ points player but will have done it only once in his career. I mean if you gonna sign Reinhart you have to pro scout him a lot. I've not seen him enough personally. It could end up being good like JT Miller is right now for Vancouver but it's a risky bet for sure.

Why people want to sign 30+ players is beyond me. I don't get it. I think i can understand people who think the earth is flat or that Elvis is not dead more than i can understand people who want to sign players over 30 given our current situation. We are already giving too much money to players on the decline adding more makes absolutely no sense at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad