GDT: SUI vs. GBR May 15, 2024

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Why: Why? Why are they called "Great Britain" instead of "United Kingdom" in hockey?
Standard procedure for whatever reason. Technically all our national sides (apart from the likes of football/rugby/cricket/netball where each home nation has their own team) are Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but always called just Great Britain.

Well we've had 48 hours rest, so we shouldn't run out of gas like we did against Finland; still likely to get our arses kicked though by Josi and the gang.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Standard procedure for whatever reason. Technically all our national sides (apart from the likes of football/rugby/cricket/netball where each home nation has their own team) are Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but always called just Great Britain.

Well we've had 48 hours rest, so we shouldn't run out of gas like we did against Finland; still likely to get our arses kicked though by Josi and the gang.

Interesting… thanks for the information!

Reactions: JimXVX

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

Interesting to know. That always seemed odd to me considering that Belfast is one of the country's hockey hotbed.

It should be an easy game for us.
I don't expect a blowout. Britain show they can play a very disciplined brand of hockey and did a great job against Canada and during 20 minutes against Finland before running out of gas (that, plus always getting the exact right touch on deflection attempts, which don't happen that often). It probably won't happen tonight as they are well rested.

I'd be happy with a 3 goal win, this tournament has already showed us you can't go into any game expecting more than that.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Switzerland in full strength, Scherwey back in the lineup. Fora not dressed which makes the team bettern. :)

Haas still slightly injured.
To be fair, despite a really sketchy play in the first period, and the fact that he always looks like he has dull skate blades and stiff knees, Fora did not play particularly bad last match.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
1715796427813.png

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
1715796678686.jpeg

A little bit surprised at how O'Connor has a higher billing than say Halbert, but I guess moreso than hierarchy Russell is concerned about the pairs being balanced in terms of attack/defence.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I thought they didn't systematically called those accidental high sticks anymore? Or is it only when winding up for a shot?

Anyway, obvious difference in skill level but careful not being too cocky. I'd like to see more direct play in the offensive zone and players being more mindful of their position.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad