Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Nov 3, 2023
Giroux McCallum, Pharand line is brutal. They are too small and were constantly pushed off the puck easily. They need to be split up. Walton even though is getting rinsed with ice, again plays like he is two feet tall and did nothing. Put someone on that line who actually hits people and creates turnovers.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Oshawa was build smartly for the playoffs. Great size, defensive, solid tending. Forwards have some weapons to counter the very solid defence. Getting Roobreck from Niagara for an 8th was so smart last year. Then getting Lockhart a pure sniper and coming from a championship program was genius. To add Punnet was just the cherry on top. They have easily beat Sudbury the last 3 games and I don't think they will be beat through the playoffs. They are too sound of a line up. Sudbury lost home ice advantage losing games to North bay, Oshwas x3, Owen Sound and giving some points to the Soo and Barrie the last month. That was unfortunately was the cause for losing home ice. Most losses coming from the suspensions, injuries where Sudbury was just hanging on. But I still believe the deadline was not the best for Sudbury. We needed to address some size up front and physicality and didn't come. In fact the line up is just too small to penetrate a strong defensive and big Oshawa team.

Mississauga is similar in style which won't bode well for Sudbury.

On the bright side Sudbury gets to draft a bit higher and possibly land a decent player who might slip to the 14-15 slot. Defence should be the priority with the first pick in a weaker draft this year.

Wish them all the best!

WJ

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Unfortunately our best players were not our best players tonight, not a good game for double D. The only positive out of this game was the play of Vondras, he fought hard all game. Oshawa is a prime example of a team who approached the trade deadline knowing how to improve at a minimal cost and went from 8th to first in the division while we went the opposite way first to fifth. Can we beat Missi yes we can as long as the decision making comes from behind the bench and not the gondola. Kudos to Oshawa for doing it the right way.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Only good part is losing home ice advantage is something Zulich might actually feel, less home ice games in his wallet

Zulich who supports all major sports teams in Sudbury, Wolves, Five, Spartans, Cyclones, such a dumb comment. We are lucky to have someone who supporting sport entertainment in our city.

He is out there with fans, travels to watch road games etc He supports many other community groups in the city, building housing for less fortunate. boggles my mind.

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
Giroux is terrible. I don’t care if he scored a tap in. After this shit show of a season finishes, Papineau better go

Unfortunately our best players were not our best players tonight, not a good game for double D. The only positive out of this game was the play of Vondras, he fought hard all game. Oshawa is a prime example of a team who approached the trade deadline knowing how to improve at a minimal cost and went from 8th to first in the division while we went the opposite way first to fifth. Can we beat Missi yes we can as long as the decision making comes from behind the bench and not the gondola. Kudos to Oshawa for doing it the right way.
Wow! So much negativity......
Not just from you two guys.....

ddiclem

Nov 7, 2013
Ontario
Mississauga Steelheads vs. Sudbury Wolves
Game 1: Thurs., March 28 – Sudbury at Mississauga, 7:00pm
Game 2: Sat., March 30 – Sudbury at Mississauga, 7:00pm
Game 3: Mon., April 1 – Mississauga at Sudbury, 7:05pm
Game 4: Wed., April 3 – Mississauga at Sudbury, 7:05pm
Game 5: Fri., April 5 – Sudbury at Mississauga, 7:00pm*
Game 6: Mon., April 8 – Mississauga at Sudbury, 7:05pm*
Game 7: Tues., April 9 – Sudbury at Mississauga, 7:00pm*

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
The series will come down to two things

1) Goaltending: Mississauga will get that better goaltending, Wolves just need to get average goaltenidng and that would hopefully be good enough.

2) Discipline: We know the officiating is going to be terrible. A significant portion of the Wolves roster gets frustrated and takes dumb retaliation penalties when stuff like that happens. Steelheads have a lot of borderline dirty players who will get away with murder in the playoffs. I'm talking guys like Leskovar, Boudreau, MacDonell, etc. Wolves need to ignore them and focus on beating them on the scoreboard.

If the wolves can take care of these 2 items, Wolves in 5, if they can't, Steelheads in 6.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Its honestly embarrassing that this team fell from the 1 seed to 5th in a matter of what, 3 weeks?

• Wow
Reactions: howlman

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
season not over yet. I think Wolves end up higher than 5th. I agree we should have won this conference, team defence reflects on coaching, goaltending and suspensions caused slipping in the standing. Expectations haven't been met.
Bottom line is they took a first place talent team and managed/coached it to 5th place
Ownership should be embarrassed but I honestly believe he just doesn’t get it.
season not over yet. I think Wolves end up higher than 5th. I agree we should have won this conference, team defence reflects on coaching, goaltending and suspensions caused slipping in the standing. Expectations haven't been met.
Bottom line is they took a 1st place talent team and managed/coached it to 5th place finish!
Honestly believe that ownership just doesn’t get it or understand what’s going on around him
At best we will beat Mississauga based on offensive talent alone but after that we will be outcoached

AKADonovan

Apr 30, 2014
Sudbury
So happy you are content with the moves that were made to improve our team. So happy you are happy with Papineau and the hand he dealt our coaches leading up to the trade deadline. So happy you are just so happy
Thank-you.
I have many things to be happy for in my life.
Watching many very talented young hockey players develop is definitely high on the list.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
HOT TAKE:
Sudbury wins the OHL Championship

I really like what I saw last night vs Oshawa. Sudbury with three in three. Oshawa rested at home. BUT. I saw a Sudbury team that was looking to punish Oshawa players physically. I saw much better defensive zone coverage than most recent games. I saw a certain level of overall fight and jam that I think has been missing a lot.

I think Sudbury handles Mississauga. I called it in 6 games but I have a sneaky suspicion it will be four games. I have the same sort of feeling about Sudbury right now that I had about the Petes the last week of the season last year. A team that on paper is one of if not the best teams in the league that had underachieved and were inconsistent. Then, one good confidence capturing series win against the Wolves last year and they were off to the races. I see the same sort of potential for Sudbury this year.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
HOT TAKE:

I really like what I saw last night vs Oshawa. Sudbury with three in three. Oshawa rested at home. BUT. I saw a Sudbury team that was looking to punish Oshawa players physically. I saw much better defensive zone coverage than most recent games. I saw a certain level of overall fight and jam that I think has been missing a lot.

I think Sudbury handles Mississauga. I called it in 6 games but I have a sneaky suspicion it will be four games. I have the same sort of feeling about Sudbury right now that I had about the Petes the last week of the season last year. A team that on paper is one of if not the best teams in the league that had underachieved and were inconsistent. Then, one good confidence capturing series win against the Wolves last year and they were off to the races. I see the same sort of potential for Sudbury this year.
As much as I'd love to agree, I think the Wolves are a Michael Simpson away from the petes performance last year. We'll see. Hopefully, it'll at least be some entertaining hockey.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
HOT TAKE:

Sudbury looked aggressive because they were frustrated by getting outplayed. Musty took 3 penalties and threw a hissy fit each time. Plus when he broke his stick he whipped at an Oshawa player that shockingly didn't cause him his 4th penalty.

I also think this team doesn't have the goaltending to make a deep run. They matchup up against North Bay or Oshawa in round 2 they will get outworked, outcoached and outplayed by superior goaltending IMO.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Defence - Defence - Defence. It's all that matters particularly in the playoffs. Good luck to our boys but cards are not stacked in our favour.
Don't forget goaltending and coaching, both are MASSIVE holes in this team.

We probably have the very worst goaltending AND very worst coaching of the 16 playoff teams, and that isn't even being hyperbolic.

Reactions: armchaircoaches
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad