Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Please not Berehowsky.We need an innovative young coach and not a retread.
Absolutely. They better have learned from this past season and get a better program. Still not convinced any of these people are up to the task. I’m fully expecting more of the same. Enjoy that $5 Wolves Draft.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Absolutely. They better have learned from this past season and get a better program. Still not convinced any of these people are up to the task. I’m fully expecting more of the same. Enjoy that $5 Wolves Draft.
McKenzie fell on his lap, other then that what good coach has he hired?

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
McKenzie fell on his lap, other then that what good coach has he hired?
That’s the point. I don’t think these guys are searching for the right candidates and preparing that they may need to spend to make the program better. They will take the easiest route, stick with the local guys and continue to run a shit show. It’s the Sudbury Wolves way.

Is this how they run things in London? Seems like that’s what I’d be trying to copy, considering a brand spanking new 6K arena is coming, and it will be full if the wolves have good teams. But the way we run up here, we’ll continue to suck and our arena will fill like Mississauga and Kingston.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
It starts with Dario and his good buddy Papineau who he believes can do no wrong. Until he is serious about icing a team with a serious and knowledgeable GM then dream on folks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That’s the point. I don’t think these guys are searching for the right candidates and preparing that they may need to spend to make the program better. They will take the easiest route, stick with the local guys and continue to run a shit show. It’s the Sudbury Wolves way.

Is this how they run things in London? Seems like that’s what I’d be trying to copy, considering a brand spanking new 6K arena is coming, and it will be full if the wolves have good teams. But the way we run up here, we’ll continue to suck and our arena will fill like Mississauga and Kingston.
pick up a new gm to build the new identity. of you only hire guys in Sudbury you’re limiting your eange of candidates significantly

Reactions: howlman

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What made Stillman good? Not his record or the fact he’d never coached before.I’ll wait to hear “ he didn’t have a good team”

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
What made Stillman good? Not his record or the fact he’d never coached before.I’ll wait to hear “ he didn’t have a good team”
In his first season with the team he lead them to a 43 win and a 91 point season finishing 2nd in the Central Division and 4th in the Eastern Conference. They won a one playoff round with that year. The next season in the Covid cancelled season Sudbury was set to win the Central Division and finish 2nd in the Eastern Conference (4th in points). So he had two competitive seasons in the two years he was the coach of the Wolves.

Reactions: yalbmert25

oldtimehockieguy

Mar 6, 2024
In his first season with the team he lead them to a 43 win and a 91 point season finishing 2nd in the Central Division and 4th in the Eastern Conference. They won a one playoff round with that year. The next season in the Covid cancelled season Sudbury was set to win the Central Division and finish 2nd in the Eastern Conference (4th in points). So he had two competitive seasons in the two years he was the coach of the Wolves.
I think you are off by a year, his first season was 2017-2018 where they were last and were able to draft Byfield, than the next year he had them with 43 wins, 91 points and added UPL to the lineup

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I guess we will never really know cause the sample size wasn't big enough. I thought players were accountable. He had a couple of good seasons then got offered a promotion to become an assistant in the NHL. To say he wasn't a good coach or a good hire would be false.

At the very least it's incomplete.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The wolves really were not that good in the season halted by COVID finishing 10th overall, 11th goal differential playing in a weak division that had teams finish 12, 15, 16, 20.
This year playing in the weak west division, SSM and Saginaw finished 2, 3 overall.

armchaircoaches

Oct 24, 2022
what are you talking about they had a great team in Covid canceled season it will be a long time till there back in contention that’s for sure

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
what are you talking about they had a great team in Covid canceled season it will be a long time till there back in contention that’s for sure

10th in the standings and 11th in goal differential while playing in the weakest division is not great, it’s mediocre.
If Musty returns with DeAngelis, McCoy, Delic as OAs; the wolves can contend this coming season.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
The wolves really were not that good in the season halted by COVID finishing 10th overall, 11th goal differential playing in a weak division that had teams finish 12, 15, 16, 20.
This year playing in the weak west division, SSM and Saginaw finished 2, 3 overall.
Weak division or not, they finished 2nd in the division the season before. We're leading the division when it got halted and 4th in conference that season. Ottawa would have been tough to beat.

Would have had a great returning group in 2020-21 with potentially Byfield returning + Thompson, Phillips, Ross on the backend. Could have been a good team. Stillman may have stayed without the uncertainty of an OHL season.

Regardless it doesn't matter... I think Stillman was a good hire. Too bad they never replaced him properly.

Reactions: cub

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Weak division or not, they finished 2nd in the division the season before. We're leading the division when it got halted and 4th in conference that season. Ottawa would have been tough to beat.

Would have had a great returning group in 2020-21 with potentially Byfield returning + Thompson, Phillips, Ross on the backend. Could have been a good team. Stillman may have stayed without the uncertainty of an OHL season.

Regardless it doesn't matter... I think Stillman was a good hire. Too bad they never replaced him properly.
Cory was a good coach. Some of my memories: held players accountable for their actions on and off the ice, demanded perfection in practice (you made a mistake on a drill you started over) liked playing a tough north/south game. Some players on the current roster wouldn’t survive under Stillman.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think you are off by a year, his first season was 2017-2018 where they were last and were able to draft Byfield, than the next year he had them with 43 wins, 91 points and added UPL to the lineup
Exactly UPL! Still zero real playoff success.

Cory was a good coach. Some of my memories: held players accountable for their actions on and off the ice, demanded perfection in practice (you made a mistake on a drill you started over) liked playing a tough north/south game. Some players on the current roster wouldn’t survive under Stillman.
Well I won't argue he wasn't better than what followed.

Reactions: dirty12

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
10th in the standings and 11th in goal differential while playing in the weakest division is not great, it’s mediocre.
If Musty returns with DeAngelis, McCoy, Delic as OAs; the wolves can contend this coming season.
You're not exactly always positive and people might not want to hear it but its the truth. Mediocre is the word. Are we supposed to consider one playoff round followed by a sweep success? Also, I've got some bad news,during that covid season we would have went nowhere with Purboo in net.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The wolves would have been ousted by the Petes in the customary four games round two.

You're not exactly always positive and people might not want to hear it but its the truth. Mediocre is the word. Are we supposed to consider one playoff round followed by a sweep success? Also, I've got some bad news.But during that covid season we would have went nowhere with Purbu in net.

The defence corps was not playoff calibre either.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
If there is any intelligence in the office, they will trade Musty for a boat load of picks and draft to build a team for the new arena.

But, they won’t. So this team will always be the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Reactions: Habs0101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad