Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
Sarnia fan here. With us losing Hatcher to injury our need of a replacement d became glaringly apparent last night in Guelph. Any interest in Kooy for a d?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Sarnia fan here. With us losing Hatcher to injury our need of a replacement d became glaringly apparent last night in Guelph. Any interest in Kooy for a d?

I definitely take him, not sure what's his story this year. However, he would be upgrade for the Wolves goaltending, also due to him not playing well of late we should could get relatively cheap.

What's the story on his play in Sarnia? I noticed he didn't dress last game.

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
I definitely take him, not sure what's his story this year. However, he would be upgrade for the Wolves goaltending, also due to him not playing well of late we should could get relatively cheap.

What's the story on his play in Sarnia? I noticed he didn't dress last game.
He's done well with 2 wins vs Flint. Langevin has put up better numbers in the same stretch and is a year younger but no telling which of the two we trade knowing our gm. We desperately need a d and to get back to two goalies so our 1st rounder gets some games in.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I guess Samuelson or Stratis would be fair; though, I can’t imagine Kooy and Purboo as a good thing for the wolves.

If there is a G upgrade to be made, I hope it’s something like Purboo & McCallum for Ingram and Damiani or Daws & Hillis. Picks would also be involved of course

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Any add and deletion from this roster would be a good thing. The team needs some new blood and energy. In the last weeks they have not looked sharp at all.

Loss to the Soo
Win vs Oshawa
Loss to Hamilton in OT
Loss in Ottawa
Loss in Kingston

They have allowed a ridiculous amount of goals in and the offence is not consistent and the overall effort is also inconsistent. No sustained forcheck, a lot of players watching the play develop and not skating hard, Turnovers are horrendous. Just no solid flow to their game.

WJ

Reactions: justawolfan

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
They have a surplus of defensemen and maybe one can be flipped for a similar aged forward to start. That’s easy. McCallum and picks would be used for a high end winger and Niagara would do that no problem but who says Thomas has to be the target? Guelph and Oshawa could be trade partners as well and IMO have players who fit our needs better

im not saying Thomas is the player, what I am saying is a “high end” player. The point is that there is a lot of talk about Mc Callum, but it may be a good idea to realize some teams never had as a 1st round pick.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Any add and deletion from this roster would be a good thing. The team needs some new blood and energy. In the last weeks they have not looked sharp at all.

Loss to the Soo
Win vs Oshawa
Loss to Hamilton in OT
Loss in Ottawa
Loss in Kingston

They have allowed a ridiculous amount of goals in and the offence is not consistent and the overall effort is also inconsistent. No sustained forcheck, a lot of players watching the play develop and not skating hard, Turnovers are horrendous. Just no solid flow to their game.

WJ

I agree with change, but what is apparent to me as the Wolves can score. This is not in question. The glaring holes in the lineup for me are on defence and back up goal tending. I do believe Purboo is improving almost every start, but the problem may be that Coach Stillman is in a pickle when a goaltending change is warranted and he feels he has to stick with Purboo as there is no confidence in the back up position. IMO, this happened in the 11-10 loss. There were 8 GA in the second period when Sudbury changes goalies. I believe this is where you start. Make a back up change to take pressure off of Purboo a little a create confidence in the net. Then tinker with the defence and address that issue. By deadline time, Mr. Papineau will have a pretty good idea if the Wolves are buying or selling. It is way to early to make that decision IMO.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree with change, but what is apparent to me as the Wolves can score. This is not in question. The glaring holes in the lineup for me are on defence and back up goal tending. I do believe Purboo is improving almost every start, but the problem may be that Coach Stillman is in a pickle when a goaltending change is warranted and he feels he has to stick with Purboo as there is no confidence in the back up position. IMO, this happened in the 11-10 loss. There were 8 GA in the second period when Sudbury changes goalies. I believe this is where you start. Make a back up change to take pressure off of Purboo a little a create confidence in the net. Then tinker with the defence and address that issue. By deadline time, Mr. Papineau will have a pretty good idea if the Wolves are buying or selling. It is way to early to make that decision IMO.
I'm not even talking about making a big splash at this point. A change of scene for a guy or two might be the answer right now. Then Papineau can reassess. More of lateral move just to inject a new energy around the team. The team is faltering right now. They will be very hard pressed to win in Oshawa tomorrow as they were lucky to come on top in the last match up on home ice. I do agree that back up must be improved. At this point almost anyone will be better than Weeks. I'm not going to mention any names of guys I would go after because some believe it won't make a difference. But I would use a later pick on a guy in Rayside right now. As for the defence they are not running with 3 sets. Its always a mix bag on who the pairings will be because they are usually carrying 7 on any given night. Last night they went with 6 but Ribeau was one of the parings and Serentis and Phillips played up front to make up a fourth line. Not sure whats going on whether they are showcasing guys on the backend but sitting out young forwards and dressing 8 defence is just really confusing to me. I really like Larmond's game and think he should get a regular shift on the fourth line. DeGrazia in the few games he has played has showed some creativeness and offensive side that may be nice to have deeper in the roster. Biondi has taken a slide since his injury and needs regular ice in Rayside to get back to where he was in October. But again the Wolves are struggling right now and its time Papineau makes a smaller move at this point to rejuvenate this team IMO.

WJ

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'm not even talking about making a big splash at this point. A change of scene for a guy or two might be the answer right now. Then Papineau can reassess. More of lateral move just to inject a new energy around the team. The team is faltering right now. They will be very hard pressed to win in Oshawa tomorrow as they were lucky to come on top in the last match up on home ice. I do agree that back up must be improved. At this point almost anyone will be better than Weeks. I'm not going to mention any names of guys I would go after because some believe it won't make a difference. But I would use a later pick on a guy in Rayside right now. As for the defence they are not running with 3 sets. Its always a mix bag on who the pairings will be because they are usually carrying 7 on any given night. Last night they went with 6 but Ribeau was one of the parings and Serentis and Phillips played up front to make up a fourth line. Not sure whats going on whether they are showcasing guys on the backend but sitting out young forwards and dressing 8 defence is just really confusing to me. I really like Larmond's game and think he should get a regular shift on the fourth line. DeGrazia in the few games he has played has showed some creativeness and offensive side that may be nice to have deeper in the roster. Biondi has taken a slide since his injury and needs regular ice in Rayside to get back to where he was in October. But again the Wolves are struggling right now and its time Papineau makes a smaller move at this point to rejuvenate this team IMO.

WJ
Agreed. Let’s stop benching our forwards just trade a D or two already

Reactions: dirty12

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I guess Samuelson or Stratis would be fair; though, I can’t imagine Kooy and Purboo as a good thing for the wolves.

If there is a G upgrade to be made, I hope it’s something like Purboo & McCallum for Ingram and Damiani or Daws & Hillis. Picks would also be involved of course

Wow - pretty early in the day for that sort of proposal!

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Cannot trade McCallum until Jan.1; so in that sense, yeah. The #2 seed is there for the wolves to take, take it.
There is not enough in either of the trade proposals to be considered no matter the date. Would need half dozen picks as well

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is not enough in either of the trade proposals to be considered no matter the date. Would need half dozen picks as well

pretty sure I wrote, ‘if a goalie upgrade is to happen, (I hope it’s something like) Purboo & McCallum for Damiani & Ingram or Daws & Hillis. Of course picks would be involved.’

Purely speculating; pre-season Ingram (2,3,3,*6) - Purboo (3,4,4,*5)
reasonable for high end/non-WJC forward like Damiani would be ‘03-1st McCallum + 2,3?
My if a goalie upgrade is to happen hope seems attainable to me.

Last edited:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I still believe at this point in the season, work from the back outwards. Back up goalie, defence, and 3rd and 4 th lines players. Scoring is not the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad