TV: Succession (HBO)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Karl's summary of Tom was great. Concise and cold.

Was Tom ever shameless in that last episode.

Absolutely no integrity whatsoever and willing to serve anyone who is willing to listen to him. The fact that he already betrayed his wife and in-laws and his general lack of a spine makes him radioactive to virtually everyone on the show.

It makes me wonder how he'll be able to deal himself back in - I can only think of the Cousin Greg secret files or some other means to try and get back into the fray. It'd be rather funny if Greg realizes that Tom's currency was spent and turns his back on him too.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Was Tom ever shameless in that last episode.

Absolutely no integrity whatsoever and willing to serve anyone who is willing to listen to him. The fact that he already betrayed his wife and in-laws and his general lack of a spine makes him radioactive to virtually everyone on the show.

It makes me wonder how he'll be able to deal himself back in - I can only think of the Cousin Greg secret files or some other means to try and get back into the fray. It'd be rather funny if Greg realizes that Tom's currency was spent and turns his back on him too.
Well he currently has a kid inside of Shiv, just doesn't know it yet.

Sep 19, 2008
It's the names that Shiv gave to Matsson.
1682334658243.png

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
[at]Swedes - What do they say about Greg (or maybe the family at large?) in Swedish during the interaction with Tom and Greg in the middle of S04:E05?

Apparently:

When Greg introduces himself:

Matsson: "Did we end up in some incestuous family gathering?"

Oskar (in norwegian): "2 meters of pure nepotism, an inbred Habsburg giant"

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Barry was an entire
’flash forward’ episode, because that’s something I wanted.

Thankfully I was able to wash it down with this absolute steamroller - that Tom-Shiv fight at the end was some of the best acting of the entire show.

Roman is an unhinged despot and Shiv is backstabbing them for a suspect Swede. My heart says Kendall but my brain says no one because he f***s up.

My you just had to make it a meme choice is Greg.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Part of what draws people to shows like this is that the dialogue is as sharp and biting as it is. Succession definitely wouldn't have the same appeal if its characters weren't as pithy as they are. But every now and then it does somewhat pierce my suspension of disbelief. The fight between Tom and Shiv is a great scene, but it's overly crafted dialogue undercuts some of the raw acting in the scene. It's a very emotional argument, yet both characters are still spewing out these perfectly crafted retorts that you would plan in your head when having imaginary shower arguments. Anyone who's ever been in such an argument with someone important to them knows that's not how those types of arguments go. They're full of clumsy wording, knee-jerk reactions, and stumbling to find responses that aren't just curse words or insults. Nobody is calling each other "parochial" during a marital shouting match. I know it devolves to Tom saying something "outright mean" by its end, but even that is still a perfectly homed missile (that ties into an obvious plot thread).

I get that this comes with the territory. As I mentioned earlier, the pithy dialogue is part of the appeal here. There's a certain element of fantasy in the cleverly honed dialogue and social maneuvering that all takes in place in character interactions. But it's also still a show that's very much grounded in reality and is built around human interactions. So at times, some of these interactions can really take you out of the moment a little bit.

Reactions: Avs2022

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Part of what draws people to shows like this is that the dialogue is as sharp and biting as it is. Succession definitely wouldn't have the same appeal if its characters weren't as pithy as they are. But every now and then it does somewhat pierce my suspension of disbelief. The fight between Tom and Shiv is a great scene, but it's overly crafted dialogue undercuts some of the raw acting in the scene. It's a very emotional argument, yet both characters are still spewing out these perfectly crafted retorts that you would plan in your head when having imaginary shower arguments. Anyone who's ever been in such an argument with someone important to them knows that's not how those types of arguments go. They're full of clumsy wording, knee-jerk reactions, and stumbling to find responses that aren't just curse words or insults. Nobody is calling each other "parochial" during a marital shouting match. I know it devolves to Tom saying something "outright mean" by its end, but even that is still a perfectly homed missile (that ties into an obvious plot thread).

I get that this comes with the territory. As I mentioned earlier, the pithy dialogue is part of the appeal here. There's a certain element of fantasy in the cleverly honed dialogue and social maneuvering that all takes in place in character interactions. But it's also still a show that's very much grounded in reality and is built around human interactions. So at times, some of these interactions can really take you out of the moment a little bit.
I think youre kinda on your own island with this one chief.

These people have had a distaste for each other for a year+ at this point most likely. They werent thinking about this stuff on the spot.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I am wondering if Ebba is playing a role and really laying a trap. The sexual harassment, comms director who doesnt like people, and India numbers storylines came way too easy. All of the Roys bought them all hook, line and sinker.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I am wondering if Ebba is playing a role and really laying a trap. The sexual harassment, comms director who doesnt like people, and India numbers storylines came way too easy. All of the Roys bought them all hook, line and sinker.
Succession isn't typically a "gotcha" type show. They usually always lay out everyone's cards right in front of you. They'll have the odd curve ball in there like Season 3, but what they hide from the audience is typically revealed in that episode.

Can't really see what the gotcha moment would be or the pay off. Everything so far makes sense, and this would be why Matsson is so desperate to get the deal done ASAP. My take is that theyre just slowly revealing that hes not all that great like you would think based on first impression. Hes just another rich psycho who had some lucky breaks to end up where he is today.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Succession isn't typically a "gotcha" type show. They usually always lay out everyone's cards right in front of you. They'll have the odd curve ball in there like Season 3, but what they hide from the audience is typically revealed in that episode.

Can't really see what the gotcha moment would be or the pay off. Everything so far makes sense, and this would be why Matsson is so desperate to get the deal done ASAP. My take is that theyre just slowly revealing that hes not all that great like you would think based on first impression. Hes just another rich psycho who had some lucky breaks to end up where he is today.
Shiv's baby doesn't follow the 1 episode arc, nor does the merger, Ebba's subplot, Shiv's former lover, etc etc. There is still plenty to be revealed.

The pay off would be the resolution of the series in the destruction/loss of their father's company and legacy through their own stupidity, selfishness and greed and that Logan was right about them being idiots all along.

Sure they are ratcheting up the stakes by throwing shade on Matsson, but someone has to win in the end. Do you really think one of the Roy's will emerge the hero in the end? I think it is more likely they will all reap what they sow.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Shiv's baby doesn't follow the 1 episode arc, nor does the merger, Ebba's subplot, Shiv's former lover, etc etc. There is still plenty to be revealed.

The pay off would be the resolution of the series in the destruction/loss of their father's company and legacy through their own stupidity, selfishness and greed and that Logan was right about them being idiots all along.

Sure they are ratcheting up the stakes by throwing shade on Matsson, but someone has to win in the end. Do you really think one of the Roy's will emerge the hero in the end? I think it is more likely they will all reap what they sow.
I think it ends with Kendall at the head of the company, while Roman and Shiv despise him for burning them in the end. Essentially mirror's Logan's life. Brother that hates him in Ewan (Roman), maybe something bad happens to Shiv and Kendall places that blame on himself (Rose), hes already shown neglecting his kids and saying hes doing this all for them etc just like Logan would always say.

And when I was mentioning a gotcha moment I was talking about the viewers being left in the dark not specific characters. The viewers are aware of the baby, its not like theyve hid it all season to pull it out near the end for shock value. The one time they left the viewers in the dark was during season 3 finale but you immediately find out who betrayed by the end.

Reactions: John Price

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

While sometimes the dialogue seems too crafted *cough* Roman and his endless innuendos, I felt like this was right in line.

It’s been established and said that Shiv is essentially a low-effort pseud - a spoiled rich girl with a 110 IQ who thinks it’s 130 and has been surrounded by enablers and kiss-asses her whole life (including Tom) who uses big words to show everyone how smart she is. When in season 2(?) Logan gave her a reasonable 3-5 year plan to take over for him she basically said ‘nah, I’m not doing this I want it now.’. Even Roman who has been working for the company his entire adult life did a management course and dressed up in a costume.

Parochial is pretty much a spot on description of your stereotypical beer chugging, god-fearing, ‘I went to Chicago once when I was seven’ Midwestern hick - which Tom isn’t but his parents might be…they paid for the wine!

Tom went in raw on her, he’s a status whore but she still absolutely deserved it.

The internet is aflame with ‘you shouldn’t have kids!’ But his most dead-on line was how she didn’t think she’d be with him for more than a few years.

Not really spoilers but more predictions…

This show is great but it’s not the Sopranos - but they still want it to be talked about years from now like the Sopranos is…you could say they are not striving for parochial…

Mattson-Ebba could be a play but I don’t think so, there’s so many moving parts in the manipulation; Ebba would have to know he told Shiv about the blood, she’d have to know Mattson is simultaneously grooming/playing Shiv, she’d have to know Ken and Roman are bagging the deal and all of it would require all three of the kids having learned nothing over the past few years of series elapsed time.

Okay that one is possible, but as stated by others this isn’t that type of show.

Though I question how fudged numbers in one of the largest upcoming markets in the world would make it by Waystar’s accounting and analytics in a deal of this magnitude, and it is the final season so anything is possible.

I think someone is going to die. Tom wraps his lips around a barrel or Roman gets the shit kicked out of him is my guess.

I think Ken wins but it’s a Pyrrhic victory - he wins but he becomes Logan, the all powerful head of a group of people who despise him but are forced to do his bidding, without inspiring the same fear and respect his dad did.

I think Gerri exposes Roman when he tries to f*** her out of her golden parachute.

Connor splits the vote so Andy from Weeds doesn’t become president.

I don’t see anything good for Tom, Shiv, Roman or any of the old guard except maybe Frank or Gerri.

‘But he killed that kid!’ - it’s now their word versus his and billionaires and celebrities only go to jail in China.

It’s a low bar but between the three of them, Ken is unironically the best person. The worst thing you can say about him is he’s a bad father.

A negligent father and drug addict who moralizes it by being woke - but at least he’s competent.

Versus a sexual deviant who abuses his power and moralizes it with ‘I was abused!’, but again he’s fairly competent even if he is the worst of the three.

Versus a backstabbing, holier than thou ice princess who moralizes it with ‘I’m a liberal woman so I’m a victim!’ - and she doesn’t come across as especially competent except for a few times.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Ravenhead is one of the most hilarious analogies in the show because of his similarities to his real life counterpart

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Another brilliant episode. I don't know how we're going to wrap everything up in two episodes but I'm here for the ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad