McKenzie: Subban and Turris could be moved to clear cap-space

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
You also can't ignore the fact that Turris broke his foot twice last year. An injury as severe as a broken foot.. and then a RE-broken foot.. will hamper anyone's production. These players are human.

I understand the concern, and I'm not trying to speak for your team or fans. Turris, to me, just seems like a viable candidate in that he can fill in at 2C for now, and then flip to 3C when Patrick is ready for a bigger role in a few years. Would you be able to do that, for example, with a guy like Duchene?
The 2x break of the foot is why the Preds aren’t going to get very much for Turris.

Nuke

Mar 2, 2007
Sabres offer Risto, St. Louis 1st, and Okposo for both.

Preds save 3.5 on cap in Dman swap. Turris contract is one year longer than Okposo at same hit.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Sabres offer Risto, St. Louis 1st, and Okposo for both.

Preds save 3.5 on cap in Dman swap. Turris contract is one year longer than Okposo at same hit.
If we get a dman in return, he either plays with Josi on 1st pair or wirh Hammer on 3rd. On both cases this said dmam should be sound defensively. If I'm not mistaken, Risto doesn't fit that description?

And besides, it's not only Duchene we seek to shed cap for. Also Granlund, Josi and possibly Smith extensions next summer.

3.5M would be enough savings, if either Risto or Okposo (in this example) had only one year left.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'm still looking for an article or a tweet from nashville or david poile who suggest that were moving subban or turris. All I'm seeing is people assuming. Well yea if someone calls and asked about subban then I'm sure poile listens and if the offer is something that will boost are top 6 and help our offense I'm sure he'll pull the trigger and turris is moved only if we have a good idea that Duchene is leaning toward signing with us because who is our 2c if we dont land him? If I'm poile I'm shopping Bonino to clear enough cap for Duchene because we have players that can take his spot in our system if you don't land Duchene. And if you somehow do land him you then can shop turris, subban or even Ellis to try and bolster your top 6 even more
There was talk about P.K. being moved after his 1st season in Nashville. The guy is a good hockey player but he's a cancer in the dressing room has a ME first NOT a Team 1st kind of attitude.Not good for any club.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
There was talk about P.K. being moved after his 1st season in Nashville. The guy is a good hockey player but he's a cancer in the dressing room has a ME first NOT a Team 1st kind of attitude.Not good for any club.
For all I've read it's just speculation that not everyone gets perfectly along with a strong personality like PK. I don't believe any of this "locker room cancer" talk unless something credible comes up. Comments from players that may or may not suggest that they didn't get along with him as well as with other players in the team? Wow, as if that doesn't happen in real life work places too eh?

Reactions: Oryxo

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah and Gally also says Lucic is a sweetheart.

Yeah. Like once Kovalev went to the Sens, it was over.

Hal was close to PK. He had him eat over at his place with his family. The Habs should've kept Hal in the organization but Bergevin doesn't do that. Friends of Bergevin Only was the modus operandi until just recently.

Markov was pretty close to PK too.
So was Price and even he stated that the team was going in one direction and P.K wanted to go in another.P.K. thinks he's bigger than the team.Team-mates only take that attitude for awhile.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Nobody has even called me about him," Poile said in remarks published Wednesday. "P.K. played terrific this year. He played really well. He's a really good player. He's one of the three candidates for the Norris Trophy. I really don't know where this comes from."

This is a quote from Poile last off-season when a article popped up about pk being on the trade block . Doesnt sound like a guy wanting to trade subban.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
So was Price and even he stated that the team was going in one direction and P.K wanted to go in another.P.K. thinks he's bigger than the team.Team-mates only take that attitude for awhile.
“P.K. is an offensive defenceman and a risk-taker,” the goalie added. “That’s made him successful, that’s the way he plays the game. He doesn’t want to change that and I respect that. I respect the way that he plays the game … his type of enthusiasm and his ability to raise fans out of their seats. That’s a special gift and something that not very many players are able to do. But the way we’re coached on our team, the way our team is structured, that’s not what were looking for. We’re looking for a steady type of defenceman that makes quick plays and is able to move the puck right away. Shea fits that bill perfectly.”

Sounds like to me he was saying Shea was just a better fit for the SYSTEM they wanted to run.
That's why poile traded for pk because he fits the system on what Laviolette wanted to run.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Bolded would be perfect for Tanev we could even retain 50% to bring down the cost of future assets to make a deal happen. It would clear 6.775M in cap space for next year and the full 9M for when Josi's extension would kick in. This would give a replacement top 4RHD to fill the Subban hole and allow Fabbro to work his way up the lineup throughout the season. Eventually when it is time to give him the top 4 role, Tanev has played with Hamhuis in the past so there already would be familiarity there. There is the rumor that the Canucks don't want PK in the room either so it may be a moot point but personally I would be interested in a Tanev at 50% retention + trade for Subban from a Canucks POV.
Forgot to reply on this.

I thought of Tanev too, but kinda let it go because of those rumors and the difficulty to find a fitting package. I don't think the retention would be necessary and therefore not that valuable to us. I feel like we would be a perfect fit for Tanev (career wise) too. He most likely gets to play the next year on 1st pair with Josi, where he has a 1st class opportunity to up his value for upcoming free agency. Win-win.

If things go south with Fabbro one way or another, perhaps we could convince Tanev to stay. Very interesting option alltogether.

If we can address our offense through FA (Duchene) and a possible Turris deal, then I would be perfectly fine trading Subban for Tanev + whatever futures.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
AT time: HF: 50+ point career, two-way centre signs 6 million dollar deal. Not bad!
One down year: OH boy! Albatross, not going to be able to move that one!

Same thing were said about Lucic last year after 1/2 a bad season . He followed that up with a worse season. There no guarantee he will ever get back to the level he was at prior to this year . You buy a player on their current level of play just like you buy a young guy on their level of play not their draft position .

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If he was worth it on the ice and in the room they'd look to move Bonino, Granlund, Smith and maybe even Ellis before him and dump Rinne next summer. There's been way too much smoke about Nashville wanting to move on from him all year

Because it's much easier moving three lesser pieces than one big one. :eyeroll:

Subban has significantly more value on a team typically stacked with defensemen. They can more easily replace him than others while also getting a much better return. Contrary to what some people here think, I wager GMs around the league don't see Subban as aging despite this recent season.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I hope Philly is on the phone for Subban. Would love to have him on this team, maybe 11th OA+++ back the other way?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So far the thread reads like fans are looking for a bargain. I would say the Preds should definitely hold onto Subban if this was representative of the market. He was our best player in the playoffs and I don't think the Preds can afford to risk losing that potential in some of these deals that really only downgrade the team for minor cap savings. Downgrading the team for cap savings is NOT what trading Subban should be for. I'm not saying they shouldn't consider trading him - but if they do it has to be to UPGRADE the team. Taking some of these half-cap dumps and lesser players back is not an approach that makes sense for the Preds. If there isn't a bona fide 30+ goal scoring forward in the deal, then there's nothing to consider on the Subban trade front.

Turris on the other hand... if... still a big if... the Preds do sign Duchene, then he can be traded for nothing/futures... but again with no significant cap hit coming back. But if Duchene isn't signed sealed and delivered, then there is no trade for Turris to be made here either.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Turris isn’t “declining”. He was playing injured. Same thing happened a couple of year ago in Ottawa when he played something like 25 games and got only a couple of points.

6 x 6m for buying those UFA years was pretty fair market value at the time and is still good value when he’s healthy. JVR got 5 x 7m averaging 55 points a year with 2 seasons over 60 points.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Jan 21, 2018

no matter how much you want to justify that terrible trade by spewing crap like this, it ain't going to happen. if he wasn't overpaid he would be staying in nashville.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
AT time: HF: 50+ point career, two-way centre signs 6 million dollar deal. Not bad!
One down year: OH boy! Albatross, not going to be able to move that one!

He's a 30 year old who had a down year and 5 years left at 6M on his contract so yeah, that's an albatross.
He could bounce back but at 30 years old with that much term left on the deal, it's a lot of risk to take on.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I really want Subban back in Montreal if true lol.

1. Assuming he's willing to come back - you know he's likely not going to try harder in any other market, as he'd be super passionate about making things right/winning a cup with the fanbase he loves and who loves him back.

2. Montreal has cap space. Assuming Nashville needs to free up cap space - i'm thinking the ask for Subban may not be completely outrageous.

I wonder if this could legitimately happen. I'd be willing to trade our 1st round pick as a starting piece - obviously we need to add a significant piece/s too, depends on what they want.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
So far the thread reads like fans are looking for a bargain. I would say the Preds should definitely hold onto Subban if this was representative of the market. He was our best player in the playoffs and I don't think the Preds can afford to risk losing that potential in some of these deals that really only downgrade the team for minor cap savings. Downgrading the team for cap savings is NOT what trading Subban should be for. I'm not saying they shouldn't consider trading him - but if they do it has to be to UPGRADE the team. Taking some of these half-cap dumps and lesser players back is not an approach that makes sense for the Preds. If there isn't a bona fide 30+ goal scoring forward in the deal, then there's nothing to consider on the Subban trade front.

Turris on the other hand... if... still a big if... the Preds do sign Duchene, then he can be traded for nothing/futures... but again with no significant cap hit coming back. But if Duchene isn't signed sealed and delivered, then there is no trade for Turris to be made here either.
My guess is that Poile and his former protege Shero will be talking a lot about Taylor Hall and Subban... If Poile were to land Hall and get him inked to an extension, would Duchene even be an option? The Devils are set to draft Hughes anyway...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad