Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Both teams are looking bad when playing with the lead in this series, doing their goalies no favours. I can't say I'm surprised with skinner not being able to come up with the big saves either.

The regular season should not be brought up with such emphasis. The fact of the matter is that it's a different ballgame in the playoffs, and you have also weeded out half the teams in the league. It's a new context.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Stuart Skinner, who is sporting a career .881 playoff sv%, is currently only ahead of one goalie in playoff sv% with minimum 20 games played (Dan Cloutier) who didn't play in the 1980's. Dan Cloutier is often regarded as one of if not the worst playoff performing goalies of all time. Does Skinner surpass him as the worst playoff goalie of the modern era?
If the Canucks had any other goalie but Cloutier during the Naslund years they would have won a Cup. Goaltending in Edmonton has been the number one reason why this team hasn't won anything during the Mcdavid era.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm really bummed about this. I really thought Skinner was a different guy going into the playoffs this year. Goaltending (and general depth) has always held back the McDavid era Oilers. And I was hoping that he'd go deep this year.

How can Edmonton continue to waste the best player we've seen since Gretz? It's criminal.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If Skinner lets in a goal from center, he can join the Cloutier club.
Cloutier had the back breaking highlight reel terrible goals from center ice. Skinner just has the steady flow of questionable goals that hes getting beat by

I'm really bummed about this. I really thought Skinner was a different guy going into the playoffs this year. Goaltending (and general depth) has always held back the McDavid era Oilers. And I was hoping that he'd go deep this year.

How can Edmonton continue to waste the best player we've seen since Gretz? It's criminal.
yep its the worst.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What game are you watching?

The Oilers gave up less than 20 shots against last game, and only a couple of high danger chances...BOTH of which ended up in the net. Just because none of the goals last night were terrible, doesn't mean he's not the problem.

The last stats I saw, had Skinner near the bottom of the list in both goals saved above expected, and high danger save percentage.

No team can go an entire game without giving up a couple of decent chances against. The main difference is that most of those teams, get a couple of saves on those chances. Skinner on the other hand is a f***ing human funnel.

I'll die believing that the Oilers would have won the cup last year if they had gotten mediocre goaltending. This year, I'm not as convinced of that because Dallas and Colorado are both so good in the West, and the Rangers are freaking amazing, but it doesn't change the fact that once again, Skinner has been the team's Achilles heel.

Cope harder, play defense. No goal in game 3 was weak. The only thing weak was the putrid defending.

Shot total is irrelevant when the shots being given up are AAA+ chances in the slot.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Cope harder, play defense. No goal in game 3 was weak. The only thing weak was the putrid defending.

Shot total is irrelevant when the shots being given up are AAA+ chances in the slot.
They arent and he makes no big saves. All the advance metrics say he is facing less high danger shots per game than most. Even breakaways are actually stopped by nhl goalies 60% ofnthe time even though you dont usually blame goalies for breakaway goals. Mediocre goalies save high danger chances several times in a game still. He needs to make saves. Silvos did on many chances more dangerous than the ones skinner did.

Also he played the 2nd and 3rd goals horribly. Part of making a save is being in correct position and cutting down the angle. Give your opponent as small a tatget as possible. Goal 2 he was too deep in his net making himself small instead of challenging. Goal 3 he could have played aggressively and poked check but he was trapped immobile pn the ground deep in his net gping down too early. The fundamentals were terrible.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Yes he needs to make a save, but the context is the dman and forward are f***ing dumb shit; look at the 2nd goal against from last game, McD and dman went to same guy leaving Boeser wide open. Your best players have to be 200 ft players to win in the playoffs, dont just look at stats and blame the goalie!

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's funny you quote high danger chances and don't actually look at high danger chance statistics lol. Yeah they had a bad breakdown on the 2nd goal and Foegele has a terrible turnover on the 3rd goal. Hilarious that people think this doesn't happen at least a few times each night to most teams. Draisaitl had 2 breakaways last night is that not terrible defensive breakdowns?

Because the stats don't support the idea that he should be letting in this many goals.
The stats and eye test support that the Ceci-Nurse pairing have been brutal. Not all the blame is on Skinner although he has been awful too.
Let’s face it no goaltender will look good until the D is upgraded significantly and the stars commit to two way play.

Last edited:
Reactions: stampedingviking

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn't blame the Oilers for sticking with Skinner but even if we saw him as a potential starter, he is the exact type that needs to be in a true tandem where the backup is more of an alternate starter. It seems the team likes Pickard but only as a true backup

Just because the team tried that with Campbell and whiffed doesn't mean you give up on the idea. They could have got someone cheap with promise to try like Blackwell.

Or if you think Pickard is good enough, don't waste time and give him a shot

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
skinner always struck me as the next jake allen

he should have a decent nhl career, but it's probably as a 1B or back up most of the time and he probably won't be known as a playoff performer

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
If the Canucks had any other goalie but Cloutier during the Naslund years they would have won a Cup. Goaltending in Edmonton has been the number one reason why this team hasn't won anything during the Mcdavid era.
IMO, my theory is Gretzky and gang spoiled Oilers fans. The 80s teams were so dominant on scoring (ie. easily scoring 400+ goals for years) that management always has in the back of their heads that success and fan loyalty hinges on Gretzky like scoring.

Hence, the last time they ever had a stretch of solid goalie tandems was Fuhr/Moog days. Dmen are forgettable, since Coffey/Lowe but they sure know how to stack on forwards hoping to win games 6-4 in modern era...... just like the Oilers from 40 years ago.

They will never be a team that tries to focus on rock solid D or G as a foundation ever after those 80s years.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Just watching Colorado getting caved in this first period and fourgiev held them to one. Many many grade A chances against

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You guys are so obsessed with stats. Did you see McDavid blow his coverage and go into the corner and leave Boeser wide open? What about Foegele turn the puck over 15 feet from his goalie? Skinner isn’t great, but your whole team plays piss poor D
Yeah I saw that just like I saw Draisaitl get 2 breakaways, and Desharnais get the exact same amout of time all alone to pick his spot from the slot. The difference is Silovs stoned Drai, got bailed out by his post on the other, and got enough of Desharnais' shot for Hughes to stop Ryan from poking it in behind him. Difference? Yeah Silovs got a piece of those shots or forced a perfect shot. Skinner did neither on either of those chances. You guys need to stop with this "did you see the chances they gave up" garbage. Every team gives up numerous chances like that every series.

Just watching Colorado getting caved in this first period and fourgiev held them to one. Many many grade A chances against
Yeah but have you seen the OIlers defensive breakdowns? Yeah they're just so bad compared to every other teams breakdowns they're so bad that no goalie in the history of the NHL could ever stop those shots. Yeah idc what you think you saw in the Avs Stars game those "grade A" chances are more like grade D chances compared to what the Oilers give up!

Reactions: Frank Drebin

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The stats and eye test support that the Ceci-Nurse pairing have been brutal. Not all the blame is on Skinner although he has been awful too.
Let’s face it no goaltender will look good until the D is upgraded significantly and the stars commit to two way play.
I'm well aware of how back Nurse and Ceci have been. But Skinner has been historically bad in his playoff career and that's what this thread is about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad