Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Very few teams play like the Oilers. The same reason they put up huge point totals is the same reason their goaltending sucks. Their top forwards are always looking to fly the zone and defense is an afterthought. Look at Boeser's goals, it's rare you see any player with the puck with that much time in front of the goalie.

You need saves regardless of what system you play. Silovs just made 40+ saves and that was with Vancouver protecting the house like they have most of this postseason which is a fair strategy without Demko and no one can really fault them but again if the Oilers neuter their offense to back check harder then they're probably gonna struggle to score goals. It's the same shit that has happened to the Leafs in the postseason + a lesser extent the Devils. The only team that has gotten away with it is Colorado with that type of play.

Reactions: Bleedred and PuckG

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Maybe try Campbell?

He deserved a 2nd chance at least in the regular season but didn’t get it, yet Skinner can be equally as bad some nights yet got a longer leash and more chances. It might seem risky to try Jack now since he hasn’t played an nhl level game in 7 months (wasnt even called near end of season for playing time…) and we know how bad Jack can be when he’s in his head too much. But like Skinner this series has been so bad that’s it’s almost an equel risk to start him next game.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Are people watching the actual games? The defense in front of him is below that of a WHL team. Guys wide open, pizzas right up the middle, every game.

Garland got him bad and now everything is a bad goal against. Play some defense.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
They had years to fix the goalie situation. Total insanity.

Fhy2776WAAA5_-v.jpg

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
You can win the cup with a bad goalie, Colorado did it.
Kuemper was their weak leak but he wasn’t this bad. That Avs team would have a harder time with Skinner. They were also one of the more deeper, dominant teams winning the cup.

Oilers playing style come with faults. They don’t particular need a 2011 Tim Thomas to win but they do need a goalie that can actually make a timely save to help them or not give up a stinker goal where they can then reward him for it by scoring more goals to give him a cushion. They are not gonna all of sudden play dead puck era hockey just cause their goalie is not reliable with shot confidence right now probably.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
When you look at a team's goaltending you have to zoom out. You have to consider how an organization has performed in a large body of work. Look at how the NYR or Boston or the Canucks perform in net. Development is everything for a goalie. That means goalie coaching.

Skinner is a symptom, and so is Jack Campbell. The Oilers wouldn't know a legit goalie if he came up and pinched their buttocks. Look at the long list of losers these guys have employed for the last 10 years. It's all my 3M goalies fault is so weak ass. Find yourself one worth a shit.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
When you look at a team's goaltending you have to zoom out. You have to consider how an organization has performed in a large body of work. Look at how the NYR or Boston or the Canucks perform in net. Development is everything for a goalie. That means goalie coaching.

Skinner is a symptom, and so is Jack Campbell. The Oilers wouldn't know a legit goalie if he came up and pinched their buttocks. Look at the long list of losers these guys have employed for the last 10 years. It's all my 3M goalies fault is so weak ass. Find yourself one worth a shit.
The Oilers have had the same goalie coach for (at least) 10 years and it's not a coincidence.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Skinner after game 1 : They aren't in my head.
I mean he's probably being honest. Nobody's in his head except himself. It's not like this type of terrible performance is exclusive to this series. He was awful in both series last year as well, and only salvaged the first round this year because Edmonton gave up very little defensively to LA.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Which goal was his fault tonight? 2 of the goals were point blank walk ins with no defense. One was a deflection.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
According to HF Oil, all of them, I got removed from a thread for pointing out that Boeser should not have been left alone and his goals are careless turn over and a forward losing his assignment.
If you think this is all about tonight then you're delusional. It's a growing sample size, and after laying 2 eggs the past 2 games, while also being historically bad in last year's playoffs I think it's reasonable to expect your goalie to make at least 1 or 2 quality saves. In retrospect its not reasonable if Skinner's in net, but please stay on topic of the thread. This thread isn't about Skinner tonight it's about his entire playoff sample.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax

Don’t forget a questionable goalie coach who’s ranked the stats of every goalie when they came to Edmonton. I really think a lot of it is Dustin Schwartz. He played at the university of Alberta then somehow scored a job right away as the oilers goalie coach. During his run, most of the goaltending they got was awful too.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Don’t forget a questionable goalie coach who’s ranked the stats of every goalie when they came to Edmonton. I really think a lot of it is Dustin Schwartz. He played at the university of Alberta then somehow scored a job right away as the oilers goalie coach. During his run, most of the goaltending they got was awful too.
Schwartz has also messed with their forwards over the years. I remember clips of him telling Hall and Eberle that most goals in the NHL are scored along the ice.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad