Player Discussion Stuart Skinner Signs ELC | 05-14-2018

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Happy for Skinner. He outdueled Carter Hart in the WHL final, and everybody has a ***** for Hart. I think Skinner can be better.

I dont think this is all that true really.

Everette had a much weaker team other then Hart.

Broncos had maybe the most stacked team coming out of the WHL is many many years.

If you watch the games, Skinner has to make some saves of course, but the other team usually doesnt get the chances the Broncos offence does.

Not to take anything away from Skinner getting a W championship, he was a big part of that, but I dont think he is better then Hart in the future.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I dont think this is all that true really.

Everette had a much weaker team other then Hart.

Broncos had maybe the most stacked team coming out of the WHL is many many years.

If you watch the games, Skinner has to make some saves of course, but the other team usually doesnt get the chances the Broncos offence does.

Not to take anything away from Skinner getting a W championship, he was a big part of that, but I dont think he is better then Hart in the future.
If I remember right..Everett out shot the Broncos almost every game.

Reactions: VainGretzky

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Excellent, now he can focus on memorial cup and not worry about a contract (not that I think he was worrying, but still). Next year I'd love to see him challange for a spot in Bakersfield.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So did the Pats, but the Broncos had way way more scoring chances then the other teams.

Just pointing out to people that didnt watch games and are going by boxscores.
There were quite a few in the propects thread that either saw or listened to several games. If you cannot watch yourself of course you check the boxscores, but to form an opinion I assume most also combine that with first hand accounts from posters and/or others. I know I do.

Reactions: nabob

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it fair to say Chia made a smart move trading up to get Skinner or is that against the Chia is the worst narrative around here?

It would be fair to say that with almost all 2017 draft picks, that its entirely too early to tell one way or the other. The fact that he is a goalie, well.... talk to me in 2023, and I'll let you know if it was a good trade or not.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
It would be fair to say that with almost all 2017 draft picks, that its entirely too early to tell one way or the other. The fact that he is a goalie, well.... talk to me in 2023, and I'll let you know if it was a good trade or not.

Thats fair and i agree, but we have the starting goaltender on a team going to the memorial cup. When was the last time we had a goalie prospect that tracked this well? He had an excellent season by any standard.
Granted its a small sample size but he is projecting to be a good one and Chia traded up to get him. Not counting chickens here just saying...

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Thats fair and i agree, but we have the starting goaltender on a team going to the memorial cup. When was the last time we had a goalie prospect that tracked this well? He had an excellent season by any standard.
Granted its a small sample size but he is projecting to be a good one and Chia traded up to get him. Not counting chickens here just saying...
Once upon a time ago there was a guy named Tyler Bunz that I remember a lot of people were excited for.

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to goalie prospects. It seems like everyone who the Oilers draft just end up busting when they turn pro.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Once upon a time ago there was a guy named Tyler Bunz that I remember a lot of people were excited for.

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to goalie prospects. It seems like everyone who the Oilers draft just end up busting when they turn pro.

Doobie? Well we ruined him but he didn't help his cause either.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

2018-19 ECHL
2019-20 AHL Backup
2020-21 AHL Starter
2021-22 AHL Starter
2022-23 NHL Backup

Yup, think your timeline is pretty close.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
So did the Pats, but the Broncos had way way more scoring chances then the other teams.

Just pointing out to people that didnt watch games and are going by boxscores.
I couldn't disagree more with this, and I watched every game in the finals.

It's funny, and it's actually very true. I was listening to the Swift Current broadcasters and they pointed out how Skinner wasn't getting credited with quite a few saves, meanwhile Hart was getting credited with saves that arguably he shouldn't have been. These we were the games in Everett.

I agree, Swift is definitely the better team both on paper and on the ice. You could know absolutely nothing about the game and watch the series and know that Skinner without a doubt outplayed Hart. This shouldn't even be up for debate

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Is it fair to say Chia made a smart move trading up to get Skinner or is that against the Chia is the worst narrative around here?

I think if Skinner manages to become a top 5 goalie for the Oilers in the next 5 years, then you've got to forgive him for half of one of the franchise destroying trades he has managed.

Where do all these Chiarelli apologists come from? Have you guys not been paying attention for the last 3 years?

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I think if Skinner manages to become a top 5 goalie for the Oilers in the next 5 years, then you've got to forgive him for half of one of the franchise destroying trades he has managed.

Where do all these Chiarelli apologists come from? Have you guys not been paying attention for the last 3 years?

Not to derail the thread but imo the only terrible trade Chia made was for Reinhart. I still think Larsson/Hall was a necessary trade and I couldn’t care less about Eberle to be honest. Larsson had a down year and im betting he bounces back huge next year.
So yea count me as an “apologist”.
Drafting has become miles better under his regime and as much as some posters hate it Russel’s contract was what we had to do at the time unless you wanted Bear playing top 6 minutes. Looch replaced Halls production then went into the toilet this season. I bet he bounces back to his usual 50 point self next year. We all knew Hall was a really good player but we had zero D and there was no one in the pipeline, it was a necessary trade that worked out at the time. No one is giving away top 4 D in this league.
. This place is unreadable most of the time with the Chia obsession. 104 point season And he’s god, one brutal seaon later he's Tambo 2.0. Anyway I wont derail this thread further. Just my opinion

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

I hope you are not a critic of JP.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not to derail the thread but imo the only terrible trade Chia made was for Reinhart. I still think Larsson/Hall was a necessary trade and I couldn’t care less about Eberle to be honest. Larsson had a down year and im betting he bounces back huge next year.
So yea count me as an “apologist”.
Drafting has become miles better under his regime and as much as some posters hate it Russel’s contract was what we had to do at the time unless you wanted Bear playing top 6 minutes. Looch replaced Halls production then went into the toilet this season. I bet he bounces back to his usual 50 point self next year. We all knew Hall was a really good player but we had zero D and there was no one in the pipeline, it was a necessary trade that worked out at the time. No one is giving away top 4 D in this league.
. This place is unreadable most of the time with the Chia obsession. 104 point season And he’s god, one brutal seaon later he's Tambo 2.0. Anyway I wont derail this thread further. Just my opinion

Without the Hall and other summer of 2016 moves the Oilers would be still setting records every year for playoff futility. Some people seem to forget that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad