Boston Globe Street Hockey Making a Comeback

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oh, the hours we played in my youth.

Car!!!

Jim Montgomery recently peered out a window on the second floor of the Bruins’ practice facility, November’s muted sunshine dappled across the pavement, and wistfully proclaimed it a “beautiful day for street hockey.”
“These fall days,” added the coach, “are perfect for it.”
Ah, the street game, still alive, if only by fading memory for those of us who shaped our plastic Mylec stick blades over heated kitchen stovetops and bolted out the door yelling, “Game on!”
Once was the time here in the Hub of Hockey when streets and parking lots and tennis courts, in both the city and ‘burbs, were jammed day and night with kids and sticks, tennis balls and makeshift nets.

Street hockey was big … bigger than the infinite pickleball universe big.

During the late 1960s and into the ‘70s, Bruins such as Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, and Gerry Cheevers were our idols of both ice and asphalt. We zigged and zagged up and down the street, avoiding cars, stickhandling around potholes, yelling out loud the names of the legends-in-the-making — ”No. 4, Bobby Orr!”

“It was a huge deal,” said Montgomery, recalling his street hockey days as a kid in Montreal. “One of my teachers, she used to drive by my street after school, and I’d already be home playing street hockey. I used to put the orange ball right [under] her car, every time, and she didn’t understand, she’d be, ‘You’re going to hit! ... ’ and I’d be, ‘I’ll never hit your tire!’ Never did, either.”

Ex-Bruin Andrew Ference, who worked the backline here for the Bruins in their Stanley Cup championship run in 2011, nowadays is the NHL’s point man for making street hockey big again in the US and Canada.

Ference, 44, is the kingpin of the recently founded NHL STREET program, though his official league title is director of its office of social impact, growth and legislative affairs. In short, Andrew Ference, street hockey guy, Stanley Cup ring and all.

NHL STREET, Ference explained recently by telephone from his home on Vancouver Island, aims to get kids, ages 6-16, picking up hockey sticks, chasing balls, and having fun. We live in complex times. So that business model may sound far too simple, but simple is precisely the point.

NHL STREET is low cost, intended to be angst-free for kids and parents, and not really aimed at morphing kids into ice hockey players. If that happens, great, but it’s not the mantra. It’s a sneaker-and-stick version of the highly popular NFL FLAG football model, which, noted Ference, now has some 700,000 participants in the US.

The International Olympic Committee, by the way, recently made flag football part of its menu for the 2028 Summer Games in Los Angeles. There’s no telling how these simple things can gain traction. Per Ference, some 1,200 kids played in NHL STREET leagues in 2023. The aim for ‘24 is upward of 10,000.

Ultimately, Ference said, he’d like to see a 1:1 ratio in the US and Canada between kids who play ice hockey and those who play street hockey. Given the cost and time demands of playing and training for the frozen version, 1:1 looks as easy as melting snow over a July 4 BBQ in Death Valley.

“We are betting big on the fact that we think there are a lot of kids and a lot of families … ,” mused Ference, “ … that quite frankly don’t want the super-intense competitiveness of youth sports right now, or the hijacking of your entire family calendar.”

To that point, said Ference, NHL STREET leagues, which typically run 6-10 weeks, schedule but one game a week. Total onsite time commitment, including warm-up and basic instruction (two hands on the stick … go!), is roughly 60 minutes. Games are played in two 15-minute halves.

Total cost per kid usually ranges $100-$200 per season, and every kid receives a cool NHL jersey to wear and keep at season’s end. Ideally, said Ference, they all leave having learned the sport and having made friends. Mission accomplished. All the better, of course, if they become NHL fans.

“We recommend that people do this once a week,” said Ference, framing how NHL STREET is intended to be a seamless fit for families. “Let those families also do piano lessons and gymnastics, do the other sports. Let this be part of their week, but not take over their lives, right? I think there’s a lot of families out there that want their kids doing sports, involved in stuff, making friends, having fun, but not feeling the pressure of it.”

Among the very few guidelines NHL STREET sets forth for league organizers: Make certain there’s a barrier behind each net.

“It’s just more fun,” noted Ference, “when you’re not chasing after the ball all the time, right?”

Montgomery, 54, played with some Montreal street hockey pals on a team that won a Quebec indoor ball hockey championship when he was 18. A couple of years later, he began his freshman year at the University of Maine.

He and his buds arrived at each ball hockey game with music blasting.

“That was my pal,” said Montgomery, recalling how a teammate was charged with lugging the tunes. “We were the Devils, and he played ‘Runnin’ with the Devil’ on his boombox.”

The times change, the team names change, and lyrics change, but the street game lives on.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I walk to Casey Park in Watertown for some roller hockey as often as possible, it's my regular exercise. Skating, on ice or on wheels, is a lot more fun than jogging or sitting in a gym. I realize it's not quite the same as street, but the point is getting out and being active.

1700321027407.png

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I grew up in Lawrence, MA and the demographic even in my youth was probably 70% Hispanic, today it’s approaching 80% so baseball and basketball were king, but we still had enough kids to play street hockey for hundreds of hours every fall and winter.

Tennis courts at Storrow Park were our rink. As we got older they put in a street hockey rink in town and I played in the youth and adult leagues from 1985 until 2009 or so.

Really good league and one of our teams won a national championship at some point.

I also played a lot at Dracut Dek Hockey, which was indoor and really good competition for a solid 10-15 years or so.

Lots of great memories playing in my “youth”.

Glad it’s making a comeback!

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Oh, the hours we played in my youth.

Car!!!

Jim Montgomery recently peered out a window on the second floor of the Bruins’ practice facility, November’s muted sunshine dappled across the pavement, and wistfully proclaimed it a “beautiful day for street hockey.”
“These fall days,” added the coach, “are perfect for it.”
Ah, the street game, still alive, if only by fading memory for those of us who shaped our plastic Mylec stick blades over heated kitchen stovetops and bolted out the door yelling, “Game on!”
Once was the time here in the Hub of Hockey when streets and parking lots and tennis courts, in both the city and ‘burbs, were jammed day and night with kids and sticks, tennis balls and makeshift nets.

Street hockey was big … bigger than the infinite pickleball universe big.

During the late 1960s and into the ‘70s, Bruins such as Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, and Gerry Cheevers were our idols of both ice and asphalt. We zigged and zagged up and down the street, avoiding cars, stickhandling around potholes, yelling out loud the names of the legends-in-the-making — ”No. 4, Bobby Orr!”

“It was a huge deal,” said Montgomery, recalling his street hockey days as a kid in Montreal. “One of my teachers, she used to drive by my street after school, and I’d already be home playing street hockey. I used to put the orange ball right [under] her car, every time, and she didn’t understand, she’d be, ‘You’re going to hit! ... ’ and I’d be, ‘I’ll never hit your tire!’ Never did, either.”

Ex-Bruin Andrew Ference, who worked the backline here for the Bruins in their Stanley Cup championship run in 2011, nowadays is the NHL’s point man for making street hockey big again in the US and Canada.

Ference, 44, is the kingpin of the recently founded NHL STREET program, though his official league title is director of its office of social impact, growth and legislative affairs. In short, Andrew Ference, street hockey guy, Stanley Cup ring and all.

NHL STREET, Ference explained recently by telephone from his home on Vancouver Island, aims to get kids, ages 6-16, picking up hockey sticks, chasing balls, and having fun. We live in complex times. So that business model may sound far too simple, but simple is precisely the point.

NHL STREET is low cost, intended to be angst-free for kids and parents, and not really aimed at morphing kids into ice hockey players. If that happens, great, but it’s not the mantra. It’s a sneaker-and-stick version of the highly popular NFL FLAG football model, which, noted Ference, now has some 700,000 participants in the US.

The International Olympic Committee, by the way, recently made flag football part of its menu for the 2028 Summer Games in Los Angeles. There’s no telling how these simple things can gain traction. Per Ference, some 1,200 kids played in NHL STREET leagues in 2023. The aim for ‘24 is upward of 10,000.

Ultimately, Ference said, he’d like to see a 1:1 ratio in the US and Canada between kids who play ice hockey and those who play street hockey. Given the cost and time demands of playing and training for the frozen version, 1:1 looks as easy as melting snow over a July 4 BBQ in Death Valley.

“We are betting big on the fact that we think there are a lot of kids and a lot of families … ,” mused Ference, “ … that quite frankly don’t want the super-intense competitiveness of youth sports right now, or the hijacking of your entire family calendar.”

To that point, said Ference, NHL STREET leagues, which typically run 6-10 weeks, schedule but one game a week. Total onsite time commitment, including warm-up and basic instruction (two hands on the stick … go!), is roughly 60 minutes. Games are played in two 15-minute halves.

Total cost per kid usually ranges $100-$200 per season, and every kid receives a cool NHL jersey to wear and keep at season’s end. Ideally, said Ference, they all leave having learned the sport and having made friends. Mission accomplished. All the better, of course, if they become NHL fans.

“We recommend that people do this once a week,” said Ference, framing how NHL STREET is intended to be a seamless fit for families. “Let those families also do piano lessons and gymnastics, do the other sports. Let this be part of their week, but not take over their lives, right? I think there’s a lot of families out there that want their kids doing sports, involved in stuff, making friends, having fun, but not feeling the pressure of it.”

Among the very few guidelines NHL STREET sets forth for league organizers: Make certain there’s a barrier behind each net.

“It’s just more fun,” noted Ference, “when you’re not chasing after the ball all the time, right?”

Montgomery, 54, played with some Montreal street hockey pals on a team that won a Quebec indoor ball hockey championship when he was 18. A couple of years later, he began his freshman year at the University of Maine.

He and his buds arrived at each ball hockey game with music blasting.

“That was my pal,” said Montgomery, recalling how a teammate was charged with lugging the tunes. “We were the Devils, and he played ‘Runnin’ with the Devil’ on his boombox.”

The times change, the team names change, and lyrics change, but the street game lives on.
If this was 50 years ago he would have been looking at me and my 4 brothers playing in the streets of Allston, every day every night with dozens of Allston boys.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We played all year long. 90 degree summer day? We waited until after supper when it got 2-3 degrees cooler and got out there. No problem. Dig out the driveway/street after a blizzard before we could play? No problem. In my 'hood, most of the kids came from families that could pay for ice hockey. My first pair of skates was size 11 for my size 9 feet "you'll grow into them, I'm not going to keep buying you skates as you grow" said dad, lol. I learned to skate when we moved there but didn't play on ice until I was able to afford equipment when I was able to work and buy my own. At that point, I bought the correct size skates, etc. My parents had other priorities and ice hockey was number 5000 on the list. So, street hockey (and the Bruins) were my passions for my adolescent years.

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Played every day after school in elementary and middle school, on our side street in Quincy. There were fewer cars on the streets in those days. My mom still lives there and there are 3x as many cars parked on the road. Played until dark, and my favorite moment was when it was dusk and a car would start driving up the road. We'd get about 10 seconds of headlights until we had to clear out of the way.

Mylec street hockey pads were one of the 2 greatest inventions of my youth. The other was cable TV.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Did you ever own a stick where blade was filed down from pavement like a knife ? Be running with stick out in front and blade would catch and you would spear yourself :D
I definitely had some of those old wood sticks with the plastic blades that wore down to almost nothing lol. If you were playing with a ball it would almost always hop right over the blade if it got too thin.

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
pico peak and the million hours i played street hockey back in the 70s are the reasons my knees hurt everyday lol. loved this game.

Reactions: Gee Wally

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Played everyday. Those plastic blades……the curves……no need for a phone, just show up. Worked on my wrist shot everyday against any wall I could find. Those orange balls hurt like a bastard in the winter.

Babajingo

Played in the town tennis courts once they took the nets down. Was always a challenge not to run into the metal poles. We usually played all afternoon, and resulted in at least 2 arguments/fights. But all was good by the end.
Since I was a goalie, everyone always wanted me to play net. Eff that. Come to think of it, that usually ended up as an argument or two.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i played starting at 6 yesrs old growing up in worcester ma. beaver brook. then i moved onto ice hockey at 12 years old. then inline at 22. now back to ice 3 years ago when they closed all the inline facilities.lol

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Did you ever own a stick where blade was filed down from pavement like a knife ? Be running with stick out in front and blade would catch and you would spear yourself :D
Yup. Called them, "Banana blades." The ball would constantly hop over it, and as you said, the toe of the blade sharpened to a point. Getting a new stick or plastic blade at that point was sheer joy.

Played in the town tennis courts once they took the nets down. Was always a challenge not to run into the metal poles. We usually played all afternoon, and resulted in at least 2 arguments/fights. But all was good by the end.
Since I was a goalie, everyone always wanted me to play net. Eff that. Come to think of it, that usually ended up as an argument or two.
In college a group of us played at the President's golf course tennis courts. One guy would bring his snowblower to clear the snow as needed.
And yup, usually once a game someone would maim themselves on one of the metal poles.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
huzzah!

loved playing street hockey as a kid

Me too. Lots of hacking and whacking.

Mostly, though, I played in our basement and garage with my brothers.

Frequently played goal. My eldest brother Greg was happy to lift the tennis ball near my head, but (surprise) never played goal.

I was dubbed Madman Marcus, and with good reason.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
We played all the time in Framingham. I’d like to play now at the age of 57 . I don’t think I’ll ever put on a pair of skates again but I’d love to play some street hockey.

I think I would last ten minutes.

My brother Mike gave me a stick for Christmas last year, so on occasion I go to a nearby playground/soccer field here in Watertown and take some shots. I used to do that as a kid for hours. How I learned to stick handle, too.

Those were simpler times, eh?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We even played in gym class. I've still got the scar from getting slashed in the knee with a stick someone tried to repair by drilling a screw through the plastic into the shaft and out the other side. Took 4 stitches to close up my knee. Today someone would've sued the school, my parents just called me a dummy for letting a guy slash me.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the best. we also did the roller thing often. a lot of times, me and a buddy would take on
10-15 kids from the street. skates for us, feet for them. developing those short area stick
skills by trying to beat 4-5 kids at a time was fun (most of the time, one of the little
bastards would end up getting the ball).

didn't play street for maybe 15 years before a trip to turks one spring, where a lot of
canadians (not dirty habs) would vacation. they had games every day (goalies would
show up after school - it was hot as f*** outside too).

after that, caught on with a street league in NYC for a while. great time, great talent
in there. even used my 2 piece stick from middle school because the 5v5 on a small
court was easier to maneuver with it. league still going strong, but too busy to do it.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I used to log so many hours in the driveway and around the neighborhood in rollerblades with a stick and ball. Had a lot of great co-ed neighborhood games where a bunch of kids came out regardless of ability. I'm now a father of three young girls and it seems unscheduled free time not in front of a screen is rather unusual these days. Too bad. Those were great times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad