Streaming Setup

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Going to start streaming soon and I was looking to get some more detailed information on what may be needed to get started. Specifically what is required versus what is more of a non-essential purchase.

To give context, I will be streaming on a PC and have a second monitor and a functioning mic (Logitech headset). Down the line if I find I enjoy myself and want to invest more in my setup, I will look to buy a camera and a better quality mic.

One thing I’ve seen tossed around the internet is a capture card, which I admittedly don’t have a ton of knowledge on. Would this be a necessary purchase to start streaming or more of a luxury (or even pointless) purchase? I'm also wondering if there is any benefit to a capture card if it is not necessary for a PC streaming set up (reduced load on CPU, better/smoother stream quality?).

In addition, if anyone has any knowledge on streaming software (tips and recommendations, ease of use) that would be greatly appreciated. Anything else I could be missing or not thinking of would also be appreciated.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Invest in an Elgato capture device. So so worth it.

Also are you streaming PC or console stuff through your PC?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Invest in an Elgato capture device. So so worth it.

Also are you streaming PC or console stuff through your PC?

Yeah I was looking into those too. Is there practical use to those devices aside from upgrading your streaming presentation/experience and making the process easier?

I'm going to be gaming and streaming directly on the PC itself. I know capture cards are basically required if your console streaming, but not 100% sure if its required just streaming from my PC. I'm still willing to consider purchasing one if it means less stress on my CPU or other PC parts.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I was looking into those too. Is there practical use to those devices aside from upgrading your streaming presentation/experience and making the process easier?

I'm going to be gaming and streaming directly on the PC itself. I know capture cards are basically required if your console streaming, but not 100% sure if its required just streaming from my PC. I'm still willing to consider purchasing one if it means less stress on my CPU or other PC parts.

It's not, but how impactful it'd be depends on your PC setup. A higher end setup won't notice a difference at all. If your system is struggling to play certain games now it'd help a lot more.

I do not stream myself but have a couple buddies who do. Making sure you have a good mic/audio setup (the mic isn't picking up random sounds and the quality is good), a nice camera, and having good lighting are probably the most important things.

Streamdeck, green screens, fancy lighting/backgrounds are all closer to unnecessary but it depends on your budget and what you plan on doing. Doing what Dr. Disrespect does is a bit different than just sitting down and playing a game and his setup would require different things for a streamlined session.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

It’s required for all streaming. I stream to PC and console.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Going to start streaming soon and I was looking to get some more detailed information on what may be needed to get started. Specifically what is required versus what is more of a non-essential purchase.

To give context, I will be streaming on a PC and have a second monitor and a functioning mic (Logitech headset). Down the line if I find I enjoy myself and want to invest more in my setup, I will look to buy a camera and a better quality mic.

One thing I’ve seen tossed around the internet is a capture card, which I admittedly don’t have a ton of knowledge on. Would this be a necessary purchase to start streaming or more of a luxury (or even pointless) purchase? I'm also wondering if there is any benefit to a capture card if it is not necessary for a PC streaming set up (reduced load on CPU, better/smoother stream quality?).

In addition, if anyone has any knowledge on streaming software (tips and recommendations, ease of use) that would be greatly appreciated. Anything else I could be missing or not thinking of would also be appreciated.
Just wondering what are you currently running? I'm far from a streaming expert but I do know what is recommended for builds GPU/CPU wise. Thing's like Nvenc with Nvidia and GPU's with integrated graphics and more core counts tend to be favorable in this regard.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
An Elgato is needed as that device is what creates the broadcast to the internet. This is live broadcast not recording video.

I have plenty of friends that live stream without using one, it's not necessary.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I have plenty of friends that live stream without using one, it's not necessary.
Then they're either streaming from their mobile or doing it from a console. I stream and this is what's needed for a good solid broadcast. You don't stream so you have zero idea what you're talking about.

One other thing is that you'll need streaming software. OBS is the king of all streaming software and you can do a lot with it. The drawback is that it has a HUGE learning curve to get it to do what you want to do. It can stream, record, or just play video files. This stream here was a replay of three past streams back to back to back on repeat as a downloaded video file for 14 hours while I was at work.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Then they're either streaming from their mobile or doing it from a console. I stream and this is what's needed for a good solid broadcast. You don't stream so you have zero idea what you're talking about.

Was this necessary ?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Was this necessary ?
Yes because he was stating an opinion based on what his friend said. Seriously?

Streaming setups are an investment and if people took their advice, sunk money into it only to discover it was 100% the wrong setup and then sunk even more money (they may not have) to get the right setup they’d be pissed off that they sunk money into something that didn’t work now wouldn’t they?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Streaming setups are an investment and if people took their advice, sunk money into it only to discover it was 100% the wrong setup and then sunk even more money (they may not have) to get the right setup they’d be pissed off that they sunk money into something that didn’t work now wouldn’t they?

You're factually wrong, it's amazing how hard you're going on about this.

I do not currently stream, but I have streamed to Twitch before and I didn't have a capture card. My friends who stream currently do not use a capture card. How are they doing this? If it was a requirement then that wouldn't be possible. Are you seriously suggesting that if I logged into Twitch right now I couldn't just start streaming? Am I really going to have to do that in order to prove you wrong?

A simple Google search also says you're wrong.

1680532936875.png

1680532976076.png

1680533072980.png

I guess Linus doesn't know what he's talking about either:

I guess all the people on Reddit are also wrong.

What you've stated as a "requirement" seems mostly to be a preference when streaming from PC, but not actually necessary.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

So you just tell someone they don’t know what they are talking about because it doesn’t align with your opinion ? Lol life must be interesting for you. Streaming setups aren’t binary.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Just wondering what are you currently running? I'm far from a streaming expert but I do know what is recommended for builds GPU/CPU wise. Thing's like Nvenc with Nvidia and GPU's with integrated graphics and more core counts tend to be favorable in this regard.

I am currently using a pre built model from Digital Storm. It’s the Lynx version 3 (Intel Core i7-9700F 4.7 Ghz Turbo (8 Core) CPU and a 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GPU) which I bought back at the end of 2019. Its not brand new and certainly is not a high end PC, but it runs all the games I like at a pretty high level without issue. I’m mostly going to be streaming Apex, Overwatch and other competitive/single player shooters, and the PC has served me well up to this point.

I’m welcome to any advice/thoughts on optimizing my PC performance and stream or anything I should consider to avoid performance issues.

One other thing is that you'll need streaming software. OBS is the king of all streaming software and you can do a lot with it. The drawback is that it has a HUGE learning curve to get it to do what you want to do. It can stream, record, or just play video files. This stream here was a replay of three past streams back to back to back on repeat as a downloaded video file for 14 hours while I was at work.

I am very likely to get OBS for the exact reason since it seems to be the most popular. Though, I have been looking into a streaming platform called "Prism" as it's advertised as a beginner friendly, easier to use platform. I dont need all the "bells and whistles" just yet until I get a foundation under me.

It's not, but how impactful it'd be depends on your PC setup. A higher end setup won't notice a difference at all. If your system is struggling to play certain games now it'd help a lot more.

I do not stream myself but have a couple buddies who do. Making sure you have a good mic/audio setup (the mic isn't picking up random sounds and the quality is good), a nice camera, and having good lighting are probably the most important things.

Streamdeck, green screens, fancy lighting/backgrounds are all closer to unnecessary but it depends on your budget and what you plan on doing. Doing what Dr. Disrespect does is a bit different than just sitting down and playing a game and his setup would require different things for a streamlined session.

I am not extremely well versed in PC hardware/components, but I do have a decent gaming PC setup and it runs the games I play at a decent enough level (Apex, Overwatch, etc). It isn’t running at 200+ frames per second, but it definitely gets the job done at 144 FPS. I have (Intel Core i7-9700F 4.7 Ghz Turbo (8 Core) CPU and a 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GPU). Given these parts and that I am able to play the above games without issue, I don’t know how much a capture card would really benefit me? Maybe if the game quality slows down or my CPU really overheats, I may consider the capture card as an initial investment.

A long term goal is possibly to get my stream to a more professional level presentation, but more importantly for now, I’m just trying to learn the fundamentals of streaming and see how much I actually enjoy it. Green screens, nice lighting and a high end camera/mic are definitely not requisite purchases right now, especially if this just serves to complicate the process initially.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am not extremely well versed in PC hardware/components, but I do have a decent gaming PC setup and it runs the games I play at a decent enough level (Apex, Overwatch, etc). It isn’t running at 200+ frames per second, but it definitely gets the job done at 144 FPS. I have (Intel Core i7-9700F 4.7 Ghz Turbo (8 Core) CPU and a 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GPU). Given these parts and that I am able to play the above games without issue, I don’t know how much a capture card would really benefit me? Maybe if the game quality slows down or my CPU really overheats, I may consider the capture card as an initial investment.

A long term goal is possibly to get my stream to a more professional level presentation, but more importantly for now, I’m just trying to learn the fundamentals of streaming and see how much I actually enjoy it. Green screens, nice lighting and a high end camera/mic are definitely not requisite purchases right now, especially if this just serves to complicate the process initially.

I would think the benefit would be negligible for you but you can always run a few test streams before you actually start to make sure everything works as you'd like. I believe Twitch has the option to save your live streams as recordings for playback so you can view them yourself as a normal viewer would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad