Strachan: Firm hired to smooth things over with fans

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by ColoradoHockeyFan, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoHockeyFan

ColoradoHockeyFan Registered User

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Al_Strachan/2005/04/18/1002173-sun.html

I know it's Strachan, but I still thought it was at least a little interesting to see a few tidbits about the firm and a few of the quotes.

2. nyrmessier011

nyrmessier011 Registered User

I wonder if it will be geared towards regular NHLers, replacements or if it doesn't make a difference but I like it. Bettman and his clowns can't do it alone, I'm glad they realized this.

3. PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz Registered User

You know what the best advertisement is and will always be? Word Of Mouth. Its time of us as hockey fans to stop bashing on the game. If we talk to other people who arent hockey fans build up the game and tell them how awesome it is. No more of this negative stuff in the media or in our own mouths as well. Of course there will always be nitpicking but I mean come on, does anyone actually remember the last NHL playoffs? They were awesome as hell in my mind (even though I slammed my doorknob through the wall in game 7 of Sens-Leafs) and thats what we need to start focusing on.

4. I feel ya dog...but it's gonna take a little more then that!

5. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

once again I'm afraid they're going to spend all this time trying to market a "new and improved" NHL to people who aren't even fans, and end up not only failing to pull those fans in (cmon, you think people who don't watch hockey are gonna get suckered in by some slick packaging of the game?) but alienating the real fans of the game.

I know it'll piss me off quite a bit if they deface the game with all the "ideas" they've thrown around and then slap me in the face with crap advertising aimed at people who aren't even fans

6. shakes

shakes Pep City

Home Page:
    Apparently its the real thing and not replacements.. can't say how you can say "new and improved" about replacement hockey.

What's this? Does Strachan know something we don't?

7. SPARTAKUS*

SPARTAKUS* Guest

You hit the nail right on the head. It amaze mw how we hockey fans always see the glass half empty instead of half full.

8. ArtG

ArtG Registered User

That's all nice and good but the reason you hire advertising companies is not to get back your fans -- it's to attract potential fans. Perhaps people who the game didn't appeal to before will see the ads and give hockey a shot, who knows?

9. no13matssundin

no13matssundin Registered User

Ive got to say the way the NHL has handled... well...the NHL... has been really pathetic. And I haven't seen any example of them doing anything different in that respect. This move, for instance, seems like a good thing but I sense it's glossing over the bigger issues the league needs to deal with.

The NHL going to big name spin doctors to solve the temporary problems of fan backlash and lack of interest makes sense. But instead of doing the "hard" things such as fixing the game itself long term, something tells me that all theyre going to do for the next while is up the PR. Is there a need to consult and utilize a powerful PR firm in light of the lockout? Yes, most certainly. But Im betting the NHL plans to lean on them more than they should: as in, not dealing with the real problems, but glossing them over with catchy slogans and nifty commercials. Meanwhile, the poor on-ice product continues to be-lie the truth about the game.

Its just another "Bettman--Lawyer" move instead of making a smarter, more effective "Lets fix the problem--Hockey" moves.

But thats just my take.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.