Strachan: Fans just don't understand...like I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Jobu said:
How are the players price-fixing? They don't determine anything or pay anyone or set the market at all.

They're free to communicate offers to each other, that's how. Players are free to collude every year; owners only are at CBA time and the owners are taking full advantage of their opportunity. Kudos to them.

Lanny MacDonald*

gc2005 said:
No one is debating the problems are severe. But the real reasons for the lockout is owner profit and franchise values. Bettman wants you to believe it's about competitive parity and lowering ticket prices.

And you accuse those that support the owners of swallowing everything Bettman says as gospel. Good lord, everything you say comes right from the NHLPA prayer book that is read aloud before a kool-aid break.

:shakehead

mackdogs*

gc2005 said:
There wouldn't be savings to blow on players. In round numbers, the Leafs $60 million salary would now be $45 million. Plus they'd pay $11 million in revenue sharing so that's up to $56 million, meaning they'd have $4 million left in their budget. At a 100% tax they could spend another $2 million on players. Big deal. Everyone ignores the revenue sharing in their attempt to argue that big spenders would "take the savings and blow it all again".

The reason the owners refused to entertain this deal is because they would actually have to be responsible, which of course is impossible.
Is there a luxury tax agreement I'm not aware of? Where are you getting these numbers from? The PA offered a 24% rollback and a 20% tax on salaries over 50 mil. Or is this your new version of the CBA? :help:

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Jobu said:
Sorry, but the PA conferring on the marketplace for players doesn't have anything to do with owners paying anyone anything.

It takes away my leverage if you know what I bid on a guy I didn't get.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
kerrly said:
Neither have the NHLPA. They put a useless one in without any teeth, and until they want to pursue one with any meaning to it, please stop bringing this argument up, because it is useless.

There's no indication that the players will accept a luxury tax with any real teeth. They certainly haven't offered one (the Dec. 9 tax was a complete joke). Rumors in the media don't count.

Maybe Goodenow offered one late last week but I doubt it.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Greschner4 said:
There's no indication that the players will accept a luxury tax with any real teeth. They certainly haven't offered one (the Dec. 9 tax was a complete joke). Rumors in the media don't count.

Maybe Goodenow offered one late last week but I doubt it.

Exactly my point.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Jobu said:
Yes it does, because when the free agents are ready to sign, the market is 24% less than what it was, or 76% of what it was.

But an owner is free to make up the 24% right away.

This really isn't that hard, is it?

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Wetcoaster said:
And none of them are significant or meaningful, unless you consider moving from 9% to 13% meaningful.

Burke estimates that is what is on the table for the upcoming season only. The owners still are proposing nothing more than sharing some play-off revenues.

Revenue sharing isn't what's keeping this deal from getting done and to the extent you're saying it is, you're lying.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
gc2005 said:
No one is debating the problems are severe. But the real reasons for the lockout is owner profit and franchise values. Bettman wants you to believe it's about competitive parity and lowering ticket prices.

As a fan, I am in favor of owners making a profit and of high franchise values. Both are signs of a healthy franchise and a league full of healthy franchises is good for hockey and for hockey fans.

mooseOAK*

gc2005 said:
Competitive parity leads to more fan interest overall meaning higher league revenues. That is, fans are more likely to be interested in their team's chances if they don't see their best players being traded away for financial reasons. That leads to profits and better franchise values overall so they are somewhat related.

Ticket prices are based on what the market wil bear so there may be some teams lowering them to get more people in the arena but I don't see that happening for all teams. I'm not getting my hopes up that way because even if the owners get what they want they are still going to have hefty payrolls.

mooseOAK*

Originally Posted by Jobu
How are the players price-fixing? They don't determine anything or pay anyone or set the market at all.

Here is what Keith Primeau said after signing his last contract for $4 million:

"I still don't look at it in that regard," he said. "I am captain of a hockey club, but I am also 33 going on 34 and scored only seven goals last season.

"I might have had a tremendous playoff, but I don't want to be rewarded for having a good two-month stretch... . It's ludicrous for me to think that just because I had a great playoff, I should have held out for $6 million."

That essentially is what the union would have preferred. Primeau said the union's executive director, Bob Goodenow, spoke to his agent, Don Reynolds, and voiced concerns about the deal before Primeau signed.

"When the players' association found out what I would sign for, they didn't want me to sign the contract," Primeau said. "I told my agent there were a lot of factors going into it, more than a dollar figure."

That is how the NHLPA helps with salary escalation. The owners can't get a better deal by shopping around, they can only outbid another team for the guy they want because the PA is setting the minimum salary.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
mooseOAK said:

"I still don't look at it in that regard," he said. "I am captain of a hockey club, but I am also 33 going on 34 and scored only seven goals last season.

"I might have had a tremendous playoff, but I don't want to be rewarded for having a good two-month stretch... . It's ludicrous for me to think that just because I had a great playoff, I should have held out for $6 million."

That essentially is what the union would have preferred. Primeau said the union's executive director, Bob Goodenow, spoke to his agent, Don Reynolds, and voiced concerns about the deal before Primeau signed.

"When the players' association found out what I would sign for, they didn't want me to sign the contract," Primeau said. "I told my agent there were a lot of factors going into it, more than a dollar figure."

That is how the NHLPA helps with salary escalation. The owners can't get a better deal by shopping around, they can only outbid another team for the guy they want because the PA is setting the minimum salary.

Any time a player wants to sign somewhere for less money he always gets a ton of grief and *****ing from his union. They want the player to be focused on money, and money only. They don't care about the players' preferences, loyalty, desires, anything ... only money.

Pure unadulturated greed.

FrozenPond

Feb 7, 2005
Greschner4 said:
But an owner is free to make up the 24% right away.

This really isn't that hard, is it?
But doesn’t that bother you just a tiny bit? The 24% is league wide, every player. The owners either have the money to re-inflate the salaries or they don’t.

On one hand:
We have no more money, we have no more money, …

On the other hand:
We can’t stop spending our money, we can’t stop spending our money, …

It sounds kind of shady to me.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
FrozenPond said:
But doesn’t that bother you just a tiny bit? The 24% is league wide, every player. The owners either have the money to re-inflate the salaries or they don’t.

On one hand:
We have no more money, we have no more money, …

On the other hand:
We can’t stop spending our money, we can’t stop spending our money, …

It sounds kind of shady to me.

Why talk about the "owners" collectively when there is such a large disparity in their economic circumstances? A few big market owners are the problem, not the "owners" as a whole. And several big market owners can pay the pre-rollback prices and still make a profit. There's no reason they wouldn't and we'd be right back at square one.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Jobu said:
Why isn't there a financial benefit? It's one league, right? We're all in it together? So you make the efforts to make more money - sure, you get 1/30th of it, but if all teams are doing the same, it works, doesn't it? Or perhaps the owners don't give a **** about the rest of the league.

So you accept that it's ok for some teams to spend more than others, right? To manage their teams as they see fit to maximize profit?

So what's the problem with the status quo?

You want controls on expenses so that even the worst managed franchise and lowest common denominator can make money no matter their incompetence. I see now.

And I wonder why the players aren't signing up. :shakehead

Your illogic and inconsistency is mind-numbing.

You inability to base any of your arguments in fact is equally mind-numbing.

First, a cap and/or controls on expenses doesn't guarantee profits. According to Forbes, the Arizona Cardinals - a team with that gets as much in TV money as it pays in salaries - lost $4.9 million last year. Four other teams made less than $10 million. Also according to Forbes, five NBA teams are losing money. Portland, the worst off of those five, lost $47 million last year.
A

Second, I do accept that it's OK for some teams to spend more than others. That's why I'm fine with a modified version of the NBA soft cap. The NHL accepts that some teams will spend more than others. That's why they propose a salary range.

However, a key point you like to ignore is that teams spend money on more than just players. They hire coaches. They hire scouts. They hire personnel people. They build training rooms. They build practice facilities. Why would a team go first-class on any of the above if there were no benefit to it?

Lastly, it's more than a little ironic that you propose 100 percent revenue sharing and later in this thread accuse someone of being a communist. Perhaps you should ask for a dictionary on your next birthday.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
mooseOAK said:

Good for Primeau to sign for what he thought was more than fair...not surprisingly Knob Goodenow wasn't thrilled with this deal, and therin lies a major problem for the past 10 years, and is how the PA were able to drive salaries to the point of no return...and now it has all come tumbling down on the PA and it's executive...looks good on ya Bobbie!!!

YellHockey*

The Iconoclast said:
Riiiiight. And credit cards do not lead to over-spending and financial troubles either. :shakehead

I've been spending over $20,000 a year on my credit card and I have no over-spending or financial troubles. I don't pay a dime in interest and I've made plenty of money by using it.

mackdogs*

BlackRedGold said:
I've been spending over $20,000 a year on my credit card and I have no over-spending or financial troubles. I don't pay a dime in interest and I've made plenty of money by using it.
You'll find you are in the minority. Try researching the topic, as I doubt he was referring to you.

mooseOAK*

BLONG7 said:
Good for Primeau to sign for what he thought was more than fair...not surprisingly Knob Goodenow wasn't thrilled with this deal, and therin lies a major problem for the past 10 years, and is how the PA were able to drive salaries to the point of no return...and now it has all come tumbling down on the PA and it's executive...looks good on ya Bobbie!!!
It goes back years ago when Ray Bourque could have been the highest paid defenceman in the league and signed for less because he liked Boston. He took a lot of crap from the NHLPA for that and I am willing to bet they were a lot more vigilant about who signs for how much after that.

Wetcoaster

Greschner4 said:
Revenue sharing isn't what's keeping this deal from getting done and to the extent you're saying it is, you're lying.
Cease the personal insults NOW.

I never said it was preventing a deal from getting done - do not put words in my mouth. It is an issue. The NHL does not want to share revenues to any significant extent. The NHLPA has said if the NHL is prepared to share revenues at an NFL level then they will look at a salary cap.

Crazy Lunatic

Jobu said:
You still haven't given one example of new concepts suggested by the NHL since over a year ago. The NHL did not ever propose sharing $150m in revenue, or even $65m. All they have said is that the might be willing to implement "meaningful" revenue sharing.

New concept: 50/50 profit sharing with players. Of course, the players are well aware of the NHL being a bush league and likely to hardly ever make a profit, so they want no part of that. So, in essence, they agree 100% that the league is in financial ruins but refuse to do anything to help.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Wetcoaster said:
Cease the personal insults NOW.

I never said it was preventing a deal from getting done - do not put words in my mouth. It is an issue. The NHL does not want to share revenues to any significant extent. The NHLPA has said if the NHL is prepared to share revenues at an NFL level then they will look at a salary cap.

Sorry didn't mean it as personally as it came out or even personally at all.

You're going to have to give us a cite for sentence two ... I haven't heard that and it's utterly inconsistent with the vast majority of public pronouncements re the PA philosophy.

On the broader point, I don't see the purpose in harping on revenue sharing. It's not an issue on the table and it definitely isn't an issue affecting these negotiations, other than the PA falling back on it when it wants to evade the true issue of the cap. Even if sentence 2 is accurate, the NHL doesn't have TV revenues to share NFL-style; in fact it's not even in the same universe. The NHL is not going to share revenues NFL-style anymore than the moon is going to grow a beard, so the PA's position is really no different than saying "If the moon grows a beard we'll look at a salary cap."

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
mooseOAK said:
It goes back years ago when Ray Bourque could have been the highest paid defenceman in the league and signed for less because he liked Boston. He took a lot of crap from the NHLPA for that and I am willing to bet they were a lot more vigilant about who signs for how much after that.

Not true. At the time Ray signed his contracts I believe they made him the highest paid at his position. I think what you mean is that he could have went to UFA but choose to stay with Boston for less than what he would have made as an UFA. Boston was always very fair with Bourque and he was fair with them.

You are right though, Goodenow probably looks through every contract and comes down hard on anyone who signs for less than market value. If this should be allowed than so should owners collusion.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Greschner4 said:
Sorry didn't mean it as personally as it came out or even personally at all.

You're going to have to give us a cite for sentence two ... I haven't heard that and it's utterly inconsistent with the vast majority of public pronouncements re the PA philosophy.

On the broader point, I don't see the purpose in harping on revenue sharing. It's not an issue on the table and it definitely isn't an issue affecting these negotiations, other than the PA falling back on it when it wants to evade the true issue of the cap. Even if sentence 2 is accurate, the NHL doesn't have TV revenues to share NFL-style; in fact it's not even in the same universe. The NHL is not going to share revenues NFL-style anymore than the moon is going to grow a beard, so the PA's position is really no different than saying "If the moon grows a beard we'll look at a salary cap."

... and again there's nothing about revenue sharing and the cap that links them in any philosophical or economic way. They've simply been linked in practice in the NFL.

Revenue sharing is not a necessary predicate for a cap; it simply isn't.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
BLONG7 said:
HOWEVER-Primeau held the canes hostage by sitting out nearly a year until we traded him to philly for Brind'amore (BTW we won that trade) Maybe as he got older he saw the light in Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad