Strachan - Easy Mark in Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResidentAlien*

Since this concerns money, I thought I would post it here-
Apparently our buddy Al on his first day in Prague was pick pocketed for 600.00 euros ( $350.00 CDN)
He was on the radio this morning talking about the Worlds and told a story of how he was approached by a young women for sex, which was a great source of enjoyment for the rest of the guys he was with. He quickly told her to go away, then they proceeded to a bar to have a beer and laugh about it. Al reached in to get some cash to pay for the round and realized he had been pick pocketed.
Given the level of distain Al enjoys here, I thought you all might like this story.

I have to say that's a pretty clever way of getting out of paying the bar tab!

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Over the many years of reading Strachan and subsequently learning to seperate his fiction from the facts, a translation of this story goes along the lines of;

.... I was in Prague and finally got lucky. The prostitute only cost me 600.00 euros and the guys I was travelling with had a great laugh because I was done before they even finished their first beer at the bar ....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Approached by a young woman for sex?

I don't think so.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This may be one of those rare occasions where Strachan is telling the truth. The streets of the big cities in Eastern Europe make New York City look like Disneyworld. The street crime is horrendous, and their pickpockets are extremely skilled. Generally you are advised to wear a money belt while travelling there, lest you end up like our friend Combover...

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
600 Euros is closer to $1000 CDN, but at least the cops will be all over this case...

A money belt is definitely recommended.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Heh.

That's probably the first and last time a woman will approach Al Strachan for sex.

Having said that, couldn't he have been pickpocketed at some other point when he was paying less attention?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I'm sure Al will find a way to blame Bettman & NHL for this one too.

SENSible1*

copperandblue said:
Over the many years of reading Strachan and subsequently learning to seperate his fiction from the facts, a translation of this story goes along the lines of;

.... I was in Prague and finally got lucky. The prostitute only cost me 600.00 euros and the guys I was travelling with had a great laugh because I was done before they even finished their first beer at the bar ....
:biglaugh: :handclap:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
The HW said:
600 Euros is closer to $1000 CDN, but at least the cops will be all over this case...
Ya, he did his conversion the wrong way, its $1000. I dont think the cops would care though.

And why would a pickpocket steal money from someone in a big group? If youre going to pickpocket, wouldn’t you scope out your score from a distance and do it quickly, instead of approaching him while he is in a group of people?

ResidentAlien*

My bad on the conversion, but two things,
the cops don't care about this stuff over there, you would spend all day at the police station, they would never find them and certainly never get any of the money back.
Also Im sure the young women was merely a distration, pick pockets typically work in small groups.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Also I wonder if Strachan had was littly dipsy when he was robbed, most of the time they choose victims who are not at their most alert state.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
:handclap:
copperandblue said:

:handclap: :biglaugh:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
copperandblue said:

:joker: That is great man :clap:

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
Pepper said:
Also I wonder if Strachan had was littly dipsy when he was robbed, most of the time they choose victims who are not at their most alert state.

Strachen often looks a little dipsy

Matt Foley*

Al, Al, Al.

Stuck in a foreign country with no money. What will you do? What will you do?

Next time, take American Express Travelers Checks.

Don't leave home without them.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
go kim johnsson said:
Approached by a young woman for sex?

I don't think so.

No. Quite beleivable.

Prague is very well known for aggressive pick pockets.

I've been in that same situation and my first reponse was to immediately go to my wallet. Her hand was already in my pocket when I grabbed her wrist.

mackdogs*

Hopefully some of the NHL players he writes for are still in town and can chuck him a few Euros. God knows they owe it to him after all the investigative journalism he does on their behalf.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I was in Prague last summer, all you have to do is keep your wallet in your front pocket because its way more difficult for a pick pocketer to get to that pocket than your back one. And the first thing you should always do when a stranger comes up to you asking for things, is hold on to your wallet in your pocket. Maybe people are oblivious to this but it really isn't that hard to remember at all. Thats my safe tidbit of knowledge for the day.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I am very suprised that an astute bacon-grease-comb-over dude like the esteemed Mr. Strachan would get pickpocketed while fending off hordes of admiring Euro-babes. I think so highly of Al and his journalism that this may cause me to lose sleep, and may cause me to rethink any plans of future European vacations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad