Stopping with outside edge

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I've been trying to get to public skating sessions and work on my stopping, and I think I'm making progress, but no matter what I do I cannot seem to use my outside edge. I can stop pretty well, but it's all using the inside edge (ie, if I'm stopping and turning to the right, I can use my left inside edge well but I can't use my right outside edge to save my life). I can stop on both sides pretty well (though turning right is my strong side) but I can't use either outside edge.

Any hints? Drills to work on this? Anyone else in the same boat?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Funny because I had the exact opposite problem. When I was learning to stop a few months ago I could use the outside edge on my inside foot, but not the inside on my outer foot.

My problem was, and came from playing roller hockey, that I would bend my outside foot trying to make the blade less perpendicular to the ice...(that's confusing...instead of the blade being like this | it was more like this /). I started stopping better when I started thinking about shaving the ice instead of digging into it. This probably doesn't help because you seem to be doing fine with your outer foot, but if you keep at it I'm sure you'll get it.

Free Probie

Mar 29, 2006
your mamas house
Pick up the other foot and stop only with your outside edge then repeat going the opposite direction. I have my mites do it all the time. Lots of falling at first but they pick it up pretty quick.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I've been trying to get to public skating sessions and work on my stopping, and I think I'm making progress, but no matter what I do I cannot seem to use my outside edge. I can stop pretty well, but it's all using the inside edge (ie, if I'm stopping and turning to the right, I can use my left inside edge well but I can't use my right outside edge to save my life). I can stop on both sides pretty well (though turning right is my strong side) but I can't use either outside edge.

Any hints? Drills to work on this? Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm not sure that you want to use your back foot. When I stop in that fashion and I lose my momentum the back (inside) foot acts like a kick stand. I just learned a stop where my legs are scissored and I do use the outside edge of the back leg, but I don't come to a complete stop. The intent is to stop and change directions -- my feet not being in a straight line allows me to do a quick crossover and make a quick start in the other direction.

In short, I think you're stopping correctly for the kind that you're doing.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Thanks for the advice guys! Anyone else have other ideas?

I think blade angle might be part of my problem. I was trying to get my ankle to bend more (so the skate was less perpendicular), which sounds like it's the exact opposite of what I should be doing.

Try stopping with only my outside edge? I'll give it a try, but all that falling is a lot easier when you're a kid (and wearing pads!) :eek:

I'm not sure that you want to use your back foot. When I stop in that fashion and I lose my momentum the back (inside) foot acts like a kick stand. I just learned a stop where my legs are scissored and I do use the outside edge of the back leg, but I don't come to a complete stop. The intent is to stop and change directions -- my feet not being in a straight line allows me to do a quick crossover and make a quick start in the other direction.

In short, I think you're stopping correctly for the kind that you're doing.
That's what I'm talking about. My understanding was that a hockey stop should set you up for a quick start like you've described, my outside edge just doesn't like me.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Check out this (very slow) video clip: http://www.robbyglantz.com/forwardstop_tip.html

The way the skater's feet are apart -- as you come to a forward stop and your weight shifts back to your inside foot you can start the crossover and push off in the opposite direction. Only thing is, your outside foot has to be forward during the stop and ready to cross over. Actually, I've done the stop with the wrong foot forward but had enough time/balance to switch feet and still cross over. IMO it's much easier than it sounds.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Try the "V" stop with both of your feet. And as you get more comfortable try the hockey stop where you turn and try to use one leg to stop. Keep your feet shoulder's width apart and bend the knee a little bit. Hoped that helped.

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
I had the same problem, and here's my advice. Start doing 8's and circles on outside edge of one foot as the first step. As you get better at it, gradually try braking harder and harder with outisde edge while gliding on the other skate. Then you should be able to learn to stop on outside edge only.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Going decently slow and trying the V stop with both of your heals coming together to form the V at a 45 degreeish angle is a good way to learn. Also I have my students try skating slow, glide for a second (If stopping with your right foot) lift your left leg up and slowly turn your heal of your right skate while not putting too much pressure on your right leg. You want to lean on your outside edge just a tiny bit a as your turning your ankle (Try to keep the pressure on your leg in the middle of your foot). By the time your right foot is perpendicular (sp) to your left you should be stopped. Repeat with the left foot. It takes some time and there will be a decent amount of falling but it will be worth it. Being able to stop on both edges will give you a greater ability to move more quickly in the opposite direction after stopping.

Take your time and don't get discouraged! We all had to learn at one point or another.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Well, I just got back, and I guess I made a little bit of progress. Turning left I now end up with the left skate blade on its outside edge and parallel to the other, instead of on a slight inside edge and at an angle to the other (which was how it was before, sort of supporting me but not helping to stop). However, that outside edge probably only provides about 5% of the stopping force. And I made no progress turning right.

I tried picking up one leg and just stopping on the outside edge of the one foot, but either I ended up not being able to turn my foot all the way (only turning it about 45 degrees instead of 90), or turning it slightly past 90 but not scraping, just doing a nice turn on my outside edge.

It looks like I'll be heading back to the rink tomorrow.

Reckless Abandon*

I tried picking up one leg and just stopping on the outside edge of the one foot, but either I ended up not being able to turn my foot all the way (only turning it about 45 degrees instead of 90), or turning it slightly past 90 but not scraping, just doing a nice turn on my outside edge.

I have that problem too when I try to do it 1-footed. I cant wait til my pond freezes over so I can work on it.

PIM Champ

Dec 18, 2006
You just gotta bite the bullet and take lessons. Even if it's a couple of 30 min sessions from an instructor at a local rink. Learn the fundamentals from a pro then practice yourself. Don't teach yourself the wrong way and develop bad habits (whether it's stride, stopping, mohawks, powerturns, pivots, etc.). It's worth the dough.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I think I made some more progress today, I'm definitely starting to use my outside edge when I stop turning left. But if I try and speed things up, I completely forget about paying attention to how I'm stopping and regress right back to what I used to do.

I have that problem too when I try to do it 1-footed. I cant wait til my pond freezes over so I can work on it.
I wish I had a pond :( Good luck with it!

You just gotta bite the bullet and take lessons. Even if it's a couple of 30 min sessions from an instructor at a local rink. Learn the fundamentals from a pro then practice yourself. Don't teach yourself the wrong way and develop bad habits (whether it's stride, stopping, mohawks, powerturns, pivots, etc.). It's worth the dough.
I wish I could, I agree, it's much harder to unlearn bad habits than to learn it right hte first time. I've tried to take lessons, but I can't seem to find anyone to teach me! The rink by me at school doesn't offer any private lessons, and they don't allow people with hockey skates in the learn to skate classes (don't ask, I don't understand it either).

DrMom9900*

Im having the same problem as the 2nd poster, when stopping, im using my outside edge to stop. If i focus and see why i cant use my inside edge, its because i think i put so much weight on my back leg, that my outside skate is barely on the ice when i stop. I've been trying to concentrate on using my inside edge but it is definatelly not coming that easy. Also, sometimes when i try to stop, my blade digs into the ice and kind like skips and digs into the ice again real quick. Could anyone give any tips on what should exactly happen with ur skates on the ice when u stop?

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
The thing is that you should brake with middle to front of the blade(s) and increase pressure gradually - "gliding" first, then coming to a stop. If you step on the whole blade at once the edge digs in and you lose balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad