Stone

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
His rookie year happened to come during that streak where almost everybody, Patrick Wiercioch, Curtis Lazar, and Erik Condra included played well above their heads and looked like hockey gods. It was also really the second half of that season where he was on another level.

His skating could possibly be a concern long term if he loses a step, but otherwise he's easily our best forward. I don't think it's a coincidence that whatever line he is placed on usually ends up being our most dominant line for a period of time.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's just you, though his rookie year was the only healthy one.

he could do no wrong in his rookie year and much of the early part of his sophmore year. but he really hasnt been the consistent player that he used to be.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Injuries are a concern but Stone was just as good for long portions of last year and the year before as he was during the 2nd half of his rookie season. Consistency has been an issue and it seems like that comes with health. When hurting, he looks half a step slower which is an issue for someone that already lacks speed.
Last season he scored 21 goals and 42 points in 44 games from early November until the Trouba hit, all the while playing a great two way game and stealing the puck better than anyone else in the league. The year before his struggles came in January but after that he scored 28 points in his last 27 games. I've liked his start to this year, could already have 4 or 5 points and his work ethic is never a problem. So no, I'm not that worried, I've seen dominance from him every year for long stretches.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
he could do no wrong in his rookie year and much of the early part of his sophmore year. but he really hasnt been the consistent player that he used to be.
He's been hurt it's not easy to play injured. When he is healthy he's been a star. Had a good start to the season I'm expecting 65+ points this season. Id love to see him hit 70.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
is it just me or was stones best season his rookie year?

and should we be concerned?

It's not just you. He was among the top forwards league wide in the second half of his rookie year.

He hasn't seen his play reach that level since, in spite of stretches of high level production.

My one critique of his is that when he is unhealthy, he becomes a liability. Not for lack of effort; it's the way his makeup is. He needs all of his tools to be productive.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This is an odd time to create this thread. He has been one of our best forwards this short season so far

He still hasn't been close to his personal best. Mark stone used to make the right play every single time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I had to check the post date because I assumed this was from late last season when he'd lost all his footspeed and couldn't involve himself in the play.

He is quite legitimately the most likely candidate for MVP so far in this young season which makes this thread all the more bizarre.

He has been Ottawa's best forward quite handily IMO since Spezza left.

Injuries have certainly had their impact on a few seasons but he's still a young player.

Reactions: bert

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
It's not just you. He was among the top forwards league wide in the second half of his rookie year.

He hasn't seen his play reach that level since, in spite of stretches of high level production.

My one critique of his is that when he is unhealthy, he becomes a liability. Not for lack of effort; it's the way his makeup is. He needs all of his tools to be productive.

He was a point per game player from part way through November until the Trouba hit last year, a span of around 40 games. That was good enough to be a top 10 scorer league wide during that time frame, and the only two players to significantly outscore him during that time were Crosby and Burns. He was far and away the best takeaway player during that stretch, too.
If people expect more than that, they're likely to be disappointed. He's started this season very well, too.
I agree that a hurt/injured Mark Stone loses a lot of his effectiveness.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stone is like the rest of our high end forwards; he can range anywhere from bad to excellent on any given night.

We don't have a superstar up front that we can depend on every night to win games for us.

But this isn't me complaining about it necesarily. If we add one more star caliber forward up front (like a Stone), I think that we would have enough firepower to get the job done by way of comittee.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The guy hasn't even been on the ice with Karlsson yet this year. Wait until those two start syncing together. I guarantee all three of those OTs would have ended with Ottawa goals if we'd had Karlsson in the lineup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
hummm .... IMO Stone is the best forward on this team who does a lot of things well & makes everyone he plays with better as we are seeing so far this yr with him playing with Brassard & Ryan. Hoffman may be the better goal scorer on this team but Stone is very good at both ends of the ice & not a liability in any zone. His only weakness is skating but seems to make up for that with IQ & his defensive steals.

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Looking good so far **knocks on wood**.

I really hope Stone has the good fortune to be injury free this season. The guy has so much potential, but has the worst luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad