Stockton Heat relocation

Timjohnson

Jun 6, 2019
Has anyone heard anything on where the Heat may relocate to after the 2019-20 season? Supposedly negotiations with the city to renew their lease aren't going well and attendance has tanked in the last few years.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Has anyone heard anything on where the Heat may relocate to after the 2019-20 season? Supposedly negotiations with the city to renew their lease aren't going well and attendance has tanked in the last few years.
The brian petrovick effect strikes again

Reactions: Tater Tot

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I know they have "looked" into a certain market that seattle is looking at....more of a "seeing whats out there" though.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Dear Petro…. He will go down as the worst owner in the history of sports franchises in this city. He will down as the worst of many things in Portland. Everything he touches dies.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
If the franchise was to relocate, and California was not an option, I could see Utah being a potential landing spot because it would set them up for when Idaho enters the league and eventually Vancouver moves west.....

Reactions: voyageur

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What about Kansas City? It's already their ECHL location.
That's an intriguing option. But Lamar Hunt, Jr. would almost certainly have to be the franchise owner there, and his current & proposed arenas wouldn't seem to accommodate an AHL team.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
What about Kansas City? It's already their ECHL location.

That’s Lamar Hunt Jr. territory. He’s rejected several attempts by St. Louis to put an AHL team there. If he won’t do it for nearby St. Louis, he definitely won’t do it for Calgary.

He’s a very independent minded owner, and AHL teams now exist only to serve their NHL affiliate. Similar situations exist in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and Toledo, owners, fans, and market (supposedly) demand a team that wins, not a team that develops prospects. Also have much more or full control over hockey and business ops.

Reactions: Mike Jones

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
If every city and arena manager were properly educated, the only place the Heat could relocate is the Stampede Corral.

Sacramento is a pipe dream. Palm Springs is a pipe dream. Fresno is a trap. Salt Lake might be the sucker, but as Dwight Yoakam would say, "they ain't that lonely yet."

Don't be surprised if the Heat and Stockton re-up.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
If every city and arena manager were properly educated, the only place the Heat could relocate is the Stampede Corral.

Sacramento is a pipe dream. Palm Springs is a pipe dream. Fresno is a trap. Salt Lake might be the sucker, but as Dwight Yoakam would say, "they ain't that lonely yet."

They should renew with Stockton they just need a front office shakeup LISTEN: Heat CEO hopes to draw more fans to arena

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
That’s Lamar Hunt Jr. territory. He’s rejected several attempts by St. Louis to put an AHL team there. If he won’t do it for nearby St. Louis, he definitely won’t do it for Calgary.

He’s a very independent minded owner, and AHL teams now exist only to serve their NHL affiliate. Similar situations exist in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and Toledo, owners, fans, and market (supposedly) demand a team that wins, not a team that develops prospects. Also have much more or full control over hockey and business ops.
There might be some push back from the other Pacific division teams if the heat go to far eastward there was a lot of planing that went into ahl west.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
There might be some push back from the other Pacific division teams if the heat go to far eastward there was a lot of planing that went into ahl west.
Idaho or another Western city getting the Seattle AHL partnership could maintain the "West" in "AHL West." Then a KC team could join the Central Division (though creating at least a temporary divisional imbalance). Not that I believe the latter will happen, while the former remains undecided/unannounced.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They interviewed Dave Andrews on 31 Thoughts and it sounded like Palm Springs was a target for Seattle.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
They interviewed Dave Andrews on 31 Thoughts and it sounded like Palm Springs was a target for Seattle.
Quote from Dave Andrews during that podcast: "Palm Springs is a possibility. There is an old building there. There is the potential of a building. I think in an ideal world, Seattle would end up in a new arena in Palm Springs, but there's a lot of work to be done."

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Quote from Dave Andrews during that podcast: "Palm Springs is a possibility. There is an old building there. There is the potential of a building. I think in an ideal world, Seattle would end up in a new arena in Palm Springs, but there's a lot of work to be done."
San Jose or Seattle could aim for Stockton if the heat pull out.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Just to note that is his opinion. Seattle could still end up going with boise.

Reactions: JMCx4

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Just to note that is his opinion. Seattle could still end up going with boise.

League offices usually play mouthpiece for the owners. It seems to me that some current California owners might want someone else close by.

However, that's advocacy. Whether they'd have all the votes when a decision is made, knowing that each one might have a somewhat similar decision to make someday, that's another matter. If you get too draconian with rules and bylaws, that can come back to bite you in the fiscal posterior... and they know that.

So I can see AHL owners maybe trying to gently push this while Seattle can- and should- have other thoughts. In the end, they'll likely support Seattle's decision because (in a very Californian way) karma.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
League offices usually play mouthpiece for the owners. It seems to me that some current California owners might want someone else close by.

However, that's advocacy. Whether they'd have all the votes when a decision is made, knowing that each one might have a somewhat similar decision to make someday, that's another matter. If you get too draconian with rules and bylaws, that can come back to bite you in the fiscal posterior... and they know that.

So I can see AHL owners maybe trying to gently push this while Seattle can- and should- have other thoughts. In the end, they'll likely support Seattle's decision because (in a very Californian way) karma.
Thats why they will probably do what ever it takes to keep the heat in Stockton i doubt the ca teams want to increase travel expenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad