Proposal: STL: Swapping bad contracts: Krug for a forward?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Hi!

The Blues have too much capspace invested in their defense. The preferable player to move is Torey Krug, who is still a decent 3rd pairing PPQB (Blues usually play him on the 2nd pairing), but is payed way too much for what he's capable of.

As the Blues could use some forward help, I was wondering if it is possible to move Krug in a deal for a forward who's in the same situation: still a decent player, but is payed too much. Preferably a right winger, but I guess any forward position would do.

Krug has 3 years left on his contract after current season. He has a NTC, but that will change to a M-NTC (15 team no trade clause) in 25/26. He has already used his NTC to nix a deal to Philly and it's not unlikely he will use it for Canadian teams. His caphit is 6.500.000.

The Blues are in a retool that would probably still take a couple of seasons, so we're not in a position of using valuable assets to move him.

Any takers?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
No sens in getting bad contract back its time to look for his replacement and move him to third line and possibly ahl. Let him realise his days are numbered. Get his list of teams he would accept trade to. See if we can move him with retention and if not bite the bullet and send him to ahl. Maybe someone claims him of waiver wire.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No sens in getting bad contract back its time to look for his replacement and move him to third line and possibly ahl. Let him realise his days are numbered. Get his list of teams he would accept trade to. See if we can move him with retention and if not bite the bullet and send him to ahl. Maybe someone claims him of waiver wire.
Which team has $6mm of cap space to giveaway for nothing in return? He’d sail right thru waivers unclaimed.

Last edited:

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Which team has $6mm of cap space to giveaway for nothing in return? He’s sail right thru waivers unclaimed.
Thats fine bury trh contract take the cap hit and get better. No point in taking on another poop contract in exchange.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think the tough part is figuring out which teams he'd waive for, we know Philly isn't one of them. Family was his focus for that decision, so would it just be Boston and Detroit, would there be others? I don't think we are there yet, but Army could absolutely tell him to either open up his options or he'll send him to the minors, not for the purpose of being claimed, but to convince him that another NHL city is better than playing in the minors. Wasn't McDonagh in a similar situation?

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think the tough part is figuring out which teams he'd waive for, we know Philly isn't one of them. Family was his focus for that decision, so would it just be Boston and Detroit, would there be others? I don't think we are there yet, but Army could absolutely tell him to either open up his options or he'll send him to the minors, not for the purpose of being claimed, but to convince him that another NHL city is better than playing in the minors. Wasn't McDonagh in a similar situation?
Even if he accepted a trade to any team, I really don't see anyone wanting him for that cap hit and length.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

I can't imagine Boston wanting him back unless it's a deal that's favorable to them. Maybe we can cash in all those future considerations from Detroit though? ;)

Even if he accepted a trade to any team, I really don't see anyone wanting him for that cap hit and length.

Me neither... unless we either retain, which I would't be willing to do, or get an overpayed player back who we can actually use.... hence the reason why I created this topic! ;)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It would require another player with a similar type contract that the other team also doesn't want. The Philly deal was with Sanheim who was just about to start his 8 year deal with a NTC kicking in. If Philly wanted out of that deal, they were likely going to need to do it before the NTC kicked in, and they knew they were going to have to take a bad deal in return.

Unlikely, but possible. The tough part is the combo of places that he'd waive for and places that would be willing to take him.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I agree 100%. He isnt performing so either go down or go out the door. His choice.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Me neither... unless we either retain, which I would't be willing to do, or get an overpayed player back who we can actually use.... hence the reason why I created this topic! ;)
Having dealt with Yandle being absolute anchor on defense, hiding a terrible forward is easier than playing with 5D. I guess getting Vlasic would shave a year off.

Reactions: Beauterham

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
It would require another player with a similar type contract that the other team also doesn't want. The Philly deal was with Sanheim who was just about to start his 8 year deal with a NTC kicking in. If Philly wanted out of that deal, they were likely going to need to do it before the NTC kicked in, and they knew they were going to have to take a bad deal in return.

Unlikely, but possible. The tough part is the combo of places that he'd waive for and places that would be willing to take him.
At thid point i would like to kust get a young nhl dman and a good prospect dman and first for buch and build with in. Loof kessel and a few others are coming along. Add that top prospect dman and nhl ready dman. And go from there cant be much worse than krug.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Cannot move Krug as long as he is more powerful than the owner, which he proved he is

Plus Doug cannot get enough of his compete level. Behold that compete level, he tells fans

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
No sens in getting bad contract back its time to look for his replacement and move him to third line and possibly ahl. Let him realise his days are numbered. Get his list of teams he would accept trade to. See if we can move him with retention and if not bite the bullet and send him to ahl.
He's not getting buried in the AHL. The rest of Blues ownership is not paying Krug $8.5 million to play in Springfield next season, where he'd still count $5M+ against the cap.

The options here are
1) Find a team he'll take a trade to, hope one of them will swing a deal for him; or
2) Buy him out; or
3) Deal with him being on the roster in 2024-25.

Maybe someone claims him of waiver wire.
Which team has $6mm of cap space to giveaway for nothing in return? He’s sail right thru waivers unclaimed.
This.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
He's not getting buried in the AHL. The rest of Blues ownership is not paying Krug $8.5 million to play in Springfield next season, where he'd still count $5M+ against the cap.

The options here are
1) Find a team he'll take a trade to, hope one of them will swing a deal for him; or
2) Buy him out; or
3) Deal with him being on the roster in 2024-25.

This.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Krug's actually been pretty solid for the Blues this season. Despite what some poster's think, the guy is still an NHL caliber player, he's just meant to be on the 3rd pairing and not get paid as much as he is.
Exactly. we need a better LHD to slot ahead of him, along with an entire 2nd line, but he has been good this year. I expect we will revisit dealing him over summer when cap space is less constrained everywhere.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
When Krug hit Thomas in the Stanley Cup Final, it broke (via overerection) the collective penii of the Old Boys Club.

What has happened with Krug since then should be the complete discreditation of that stupid club of dumb men who go, "did you see that? now THAT'S a hockey player."

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Blues would have an easier time finding a younger cheaper to play with Parayko and moving Leddy and Krug down a pair.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Krug's actually been pretty solid for the Blues this season. Despite what some poster's think, the guy is still an NHL caliber player, he's just meant to be on the 3rd pairing and not get paid as much as he is.

I would love to show video clips of each game to show how worthless Krug has been this year. He tries hard and that's it. Trying doesn't equal success. He also leads the team in passes to the middle of the ice in his own zone.. so I guess he leads the team in something.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Exactly. we need a better LHD to slot ahead of him, along with an entire 2nd line, but he has been good this year. I expect we will revisit dealing him over summer when cap space is less constrained everywhere.
Krug has been less terrible than the last two years, no question. hut not being absolute dogshit doesn’t mean he’s been good. At the very best case he’s been mediocre. I’d argue he’s still a net negative on the roster.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I like Krug, he did that big hit one time. That’s a hockey player. But you gotta attach young talent to make it worth it, see?

Krug+Kyrou

For

Mittlestadt and a 1st.

Makes no sense for us, trading a good defensive C for more offense, but that one hit was super nails, man. My ol’ hockey soul loved it.

• Love
Reactions: PocketNines

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Krug has been less terrible than the last two years, no question. hut not being absolute dogshit doesn’t mean he’s been good. At the very best case he’s been mediocre. I’d argue he’s still a net negative on the roster.
he is, but we have lots of negatives. the next couple years will be rough because we lack enough front line talent. krug gets way too much flak for his shortcomings and not enough credit for what he does well. i get it. folks compare him to petro and so he wears all of that, but what is done is done. if he were making $4-5 mm (and we could ignore circumstances of his signing), would be a real asset.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
OP, take a look at capfriendly -> active players.

Not a ton of options. Ironically the Blues have Hayes lol.

Lets ignore non trade clauses.

Imo the Flyers make the most sense, if the Bkues could add a little. Atkinson vs Krug + 2nd pick of something? Krug is more AAV. 1 more year too, but Flyers would benefit from a PPQB, and Atkinson seem redundant in Philly with all their young forwards.

Gallagher in Montreal has the same AAV and term left. But also a bunch of quality young LDs in the pipeline. Maybe MTL can flip Krug for something they want, but I doubt it.

If you can add a little, maybe Palat in NJ? I doubt theyre interested in Krug's skills though.

Hall in Chicago?

Those are kinda the option I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad