STL Hall of Famers

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
After all of the talk about the 2013 MLB Hall of Fame class (or lack there of). I began thinking about which active players for the Blues Rams and Cardinals have a shot at making the Hall in their respective sports.

For the Blues I think Petro has a chance but its way to early to tell he would have to win at least one Norris trophy if not multiple and be in consideration for the award annually. Which I don't think is un realistic for him at all. I think players like oshie and backes could get their numbers retired by the blues if they stay with the team through their whole careers.

For the rams I think Steven Jackson has a shot if he can run for 1,000 yard again next year which I think is possible but not a given he is getting up there in age but 8 straight 1,000 yard seasons is the definition of consistency. The fact that the rams have never been over .500 in his tenure here hurts his chances a lot. And only 2 double digit total touchdown years doesnt help either.

For the cardinals I think Beltran has a decent shot as he was a fantastic all around player and a member of the 300 300 club. If he can get to 400 homers (currently at 334 at age 35) his chances will increase. Also 3 gold gloves in centerfield is also a great help to his case.
If molina can get to double digit gold gloves and keep up his offensive production from the past 2 years for another few years. I think his number will definitely be retired by the cardinals if he stays with the team for another 5-7 years. Also obviously Pujols is a HOF guy for his time is STL.

Just my opinion.

Tell me what you think!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Carpenter will be an interesting case. Wainwright might be able to if he returns to form. Berkman should be in, but he's obviously not a Cardinal anymore. Holliday has a chance.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
Forgot about carp he would need another cy young caliber season or 2 but he will go down as one of the best cardinals starters of all time (obviously Bob Gibson is the best of all cardinals starters) his number could be retired by the team. I see that as being likely fan favorite one of 2 cardinals all time to win the cy young award 2 time world champion. .683 winning percentage as a cardinal.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Molina will definitely be in the Hall. He's already got 5 gold gloves, and there doesn't appear to be much competition that will keep him from winning quite a few more. I personally don't think Beltran will get in. If he gets to 400, which seems very unlikely, then he might have a shot. I think Jackson is a sure fire Hall of Famer. I know he hasn't had a winning season, or playoffs, but if he just plays 1 more year, he will move into the top 20 all time rushing leaders. That will get him in, at least I think it should. He's been the poster boy for consistency during his career. It would be a real shame if he doesn't get in just because he showed some loyalty to the team that drafted him.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I really don't see oshie getting into the blues or the STL HOF unless he amazes the rest of his career.

All forwards should be compared to Gary Unger, who is NOT in the blues HOF. IMO, Oshie will finish his career worse than Unger.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
Molina will definitely be in the Hall. He's already got 5 gold gloves, and there doesn't appear to be much competition that will keep him from winning quite a few more. I personally don't think Beltran will get in. If he gets to 400, which seems very unlikely, then he might have a shot. I think Jackson is a sure fire Hall of Famer. I know he hasn't had a winning season, or playoffs, but if he just plays 1 more year, he will move into the top 20 all time rushing leaders. That will get him in, at least I think it should. He's been the poster boy for consistency during his career. It would be a real shame if he doesn't get in just because he showed some loyalty to the team that drafted him.

Agreed. If he stays another year or two I believe he will be on a playoff team.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
I really don't see oshie getting into the blues or the STL HOF unless he amazes the rest of his career.

All forwards should be compared to Gary Unger, who is NOT in the blues HOF. IMO, Oshie will finish his career worse than Unger.

Thats fair, crazy to think that Unger isn't in the blues HOF. 8 1/2 years as a blue with 3 80 blues point seasons. Oshie would really have to step up his game and stay in stl for a long time to be able to have a resume that is more impressive than Ungers.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I don't see any Blues currently as HOF caliber, until they sustain several years of dominance ala Steve Yzerman/Chris Chelios. I don't think Jackson is HOF caliber. Personally, I just think he was a very good football player who has had a long career. I wouldn't put him in the category of "great" as Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton. Just my opinion. I think Molina is the closest thing I see to a possible HOFer. I think he needs a couple more .300 seasons though and keeping up the gold gloves to solidify his case.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
I don't see any Blues currently as HOF caliber, until they sustain several years of dominance ala Steve Yzerman/Chris Chelios. I don't think Jackson is HOF caliber. Personally, I just think he was a very good football player who has had a long career. I wouldn't put him in the category of "great" as Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton. Just my opinion. I think Molina is the closest thing I see to a possible HOFer. I think he needs a couple more .300 seasons though and keeping up the gold gloves to solidify his case.

Molina already 5th all-time in gold gloves for catchers. I think he has a good shot especially if he gets to 10 which would tie him with jonny bench

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

For a running back, that's what makes him great. The shelf life of running back is usually very small, but he has been consistent for a long time. 2 more good seasons and I don't think there's any questions he's a HOFer. If he retired today, I think he has a good shot. Running backs just simply play that long.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
1000 yard seasons are over rated I think. Not taking away anything from SJ, but 1000 yards over the course of a 16 week season doesnt stand out as much as when they did it in 10 or 12 games. I still think hes in the hall though, mainly because hes in between great RB classes.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
1000 yard seasons are over rated I think. Not taking away anything from SJ, but 1000 yards over the course of a 16 week season doesnt stand out as much as when they did it in 10 or 12 games. I still think hes in the hall though, mainly because hes in between great RB classes.

That is a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in, but I just think he is a very good football player. Marshall Faulk was a great football player. A 1000 yard season means you are averaging about 70-75 yards a game. I can only recall one season where Steven Jackson had what I would call a great year. He had around a 1500 yard season running and like 800 receiving, but hasn't come anywhere close to that since then. He really isn't that good of a receiver for a running back. A stat that I think is important for a running back is yards from scrimmage. I like to see 4 or 5 great 1850-2000 yards seasons ala Thurman Thomas, LaDanian Thomlinson, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, etc. I look at at Steven Jackson like I do Jim Kaat (who isn't in the hall of fame). Just a very good, consistent player for a long time.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
That is a good point. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in, but I just think he is a very good football player. Marshall Faulk was a great football player. A 1000 yard season means you are averaging about 70-75 yards a game. I can only recall one season where Steven Jackson had what I would call a great year. He had around a 1500 yard season running and like 800 receiving, but hasn't come anywhere close to that since then. He really isn't that good of a receiver for a running back. A stat that I think is important for a running back is yards from scrimmage. I like to see 4 or 5 great 1850-2000 yards seasons ala Thurman Thomas, LaDanian Thomlinson, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, etc. I look at at Steven Jackson like I do Jim Kaat (who isn't in the hall of fame). Just a very good, consistent player for a long time.

The year you are referring to was 2006 the rams best season (8-8) since jackson was drafted.. That season was Marc Bulger's best year in the NFL and the best season a Rams QB had while Jackson has been a Ram. Also the rams had great receivers Holt/Bruce, and the offensive line was actually serviceable compared to other years during Jackson's time. Imagine if he played on this good of an offense for his whole prime? LT always had a good QB (brees/Rivers) and was on a playoff caliber team with good backups behind him a strong offensive line and good receivers. So I think it makes it more impressive that he was able to have 8 straight 1000 yard season's never having a consistant QB, OL, OC, etc.... His receiving numbers would have been much better if he was playing on a team that he wasn't the biggest threat in the running and passing game.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Blues - no one currently. Backes and Pietro have an outside chance of getting their numbers retired. Pietro could be HOF calibur, but it's way too early to tell and way too many intangables to consider

Cards - I could see Carp and Molina getting their numbers retired. I think Molina is the only current HOF possible player on the Cards now, but it will take a little more work. Definitely has a good resume up until now. I also see Pujols definitely getting into the HOF and getting his number retired down the road with the Cards after the dust settles. I mean, the guy did play what, 10 years with the club? Was the best hitter we've seen in a long time or even ever, no roid controversy, and led us to 3 World Series including 2 Championships. You'll see number 5 hanging in the outfield down the road.

Rams - no clue. I hate football :P

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri

This.

SJ39 is not a Hall of Fame Running Back due to the pathetic Rams teams he played on will work against him. If I were SJ i'd void that 7 million option, sign with the Packers, win a super bowl then maybe he would improve his chances.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Blues - no one currently. Backes and Pietro have an outside chance of getting their numbers retired. Pietro could be HOF calibur, but it's way too early to tell and way too many intangables to consider

Cards - I could see Carp and Molina getting their numbers retired. I think Molina is the only current HOF possible player on the Cards now, but it will take a little more work. Definitely has a good resume up until now. I also see Pujols definitely getting into the HOF and getting his number retired down the road with the Cards after the dust settles. I mean, the guy did play what, 10 years with the club? Was the best hitter we've seen in a long time or even ever, no roid controversy, and led us to 3 World Series including 2 Championships. You'll see number 5 hanging in the outfield down the road.

Rams - no clue. I hate football :P

Pujols is the third best hitter in Cardinals history at best.

He clearly ranks behind Stan Musial and Rogers Hornsby.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
This.

SJ39 is not a Hall of Fame Running Back due to the pathetic Rams teams he played on will work against him. If I were SJ i'd void that 7 million option, sign with the Packers, win a super bowl then maybe he would improve his chances.

Barry Sanders played on horrible teams too, he made the hall easily. Now im not trying to compare Barry sanders and SJ39, but when your one of 6 player w/7 consecutive 1,000yard seasons plus 10,000 yards rushing plus over 400 reception, team performance doesn't negate that hes a hall of famer

FilthyNote*

I really think Matt Holliday has a chance. He has pretty stellar numbers. VERY underrated. People seem to just remember his defensive gaffe's.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i think Jackson will need to get to 12,500 career rushing yards in order to overcome all the bias against non-winning teams and make up for the lack of touchdowns (he's currently 26th all time in yards but only tied with Brandon Jacobs for 48th in TDs) and cement himself in the hof. Fred Taylor has 11,695 and will probably never be in the hof. he'll also have to at least pass Edgerrin James whom many find to be an unimpressive candidate. i think he can do it, if he plays a few more seasons. he's a great player and i hope to see him enshrined someday.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I really think Matt Holliday has a chance. He has pretty stellar numbers. VERY underrated. People seem to just remember his defensive gaffe's.

That's because it is a signature moment here in St. Louis. His other signature moments were with Colorado. He doesn't have that defining positive moment here yet.

That doesn't take away from him as a player, just a reason why people have a distorted view of him as a player.

For example, I couldn't tell you what Pujols' batting average or home run total was in 2005. But I can remember him smashing a hanging slider from Brad Lidge for a three run homer to win an NLCS game in the ninth that season.

Certain key moments stick out in peoples minds, and are weighted more than they should be.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo

Hes gonna really have to prolong his career and have another season or 2 like his 07 campaign. If he makes it to 3000 hits (currently at 1525 at age 33) he will be in the hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad